Silhouette charters from Ottawa

sp2

I think different posters have commented on the charters but I have a few specific questions - leaving on Mar 22 from Ottawa on the all-inclusive charter:

Do we clear customs in Ottawa or Miami? I have heard varying reports on the charters but not sure whether they were Ottawa departures.

Does Canadian North consistently subcontract to First Air for the Ottawa flights?

Once you board the bus in Miami for the transfer to Port Everglades, do you have to handle your luggage again or does it go straight off the bus onto the ship? What about your carry-on bags? Do you bring them with you onto the bus or do they get stored in the storage underneath the bus (with all the other luggage), making the buses really crowded?

Flight lands in Miami at 11 a.m. Approximately what time did you get on-board the ship?

Did you feel the process went fairly smoothly?

Thanks all for your comments! Three more sleeps! :)

Can't answer your questions specifically but here's a link to what I wrote about our experience with the March 7-14 Reflection charter from Ottawa. Aside form the customs question I think it answers your other questions. We kept our carryon stuff with us - ours fit easily into the overhead bins on the bus. They had a few buses and ours was not full.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2183099

Thanks Thon, I have been following that thread. Just wondered if your experience was typical re- clearing US customs in Miami not Ottawa, or just an anomaly for that day. Also arrival time at Port Everglades. Hopefully some "Silly" sailors will post!:D

Do we clear customs in Ottawa or Miami? I have heard varying reports on the charters but not sure whether they were Ottawa departures.

Does Canadian North consistently subcontract to First Air for the Ottawa flights?

Once you board the bus in Miami for the transfer to Port Everglades, do you have to handle your luggage again or does it go straight off the bus onto the ship? What about your carry-on bags? Do you bring them with you onto the bus or do they get stored in the storage underneath the bus (with all the other luggage), making the buses really crowded?

Flight lands in Miami at 11 a.m. Approximately what time did you get on-board the ship?

Did you feel the process went fairly smoothly?

Thanks all for your comments! Three more sleeps! :)

I can offer a few comments having just completed a charter out of Hamilton for the Silhouette.

1. We cleared customs in Miami.

2. Once your bags are on the bus you do not handle them again until they arrive at your stateroom.

3. Carry-ons go with you on the bus and are your responsibility. There is not enough room in the bus cargo compartment for luggage and carry-ons.

4. Once we landed in Miami we had a very long, long walk to the baggage carousel. Bags had already started to appear by the time we got there after clearing customs. Miami has automated passport scanning for customs declaration (about a 15 minute line as so many flights arrived at the same time.) If you have Global Express you can jump the queue. Upon picking up our bags there was a line-up of several hundred people to leave the baggage area. This took about 30 minutes. We found the Celebrity rep and were on the bus within 15 minutes of exiting the hall. 40 minute drive to Fort Lauderdale, walked right up to the ticket counter and aboard ship in less than 10 minutes. So, with an 11:00 arrival, you should be on the ship shortly after 1:00.

5. Except for the long lines to leave the baggage hall (not Celebrity's issue) the process was very professional and well coordinated. Many Celebrity reps were there to help and direct us to the bus departure area.

Thanks Cynalan!

I am still hoping we clear US customs in Ottawa before we leave. But, it is what it is. We are used to doing our own thing and have never travelled as part of a group before. Also have never flown down same day before!

FYI I don't believe that Hamilton has US Customs pre-clearance for any US-bound flights. As for Ottawa I am now remembering that someone told me the Silhouette flight does clear US Customs in Ottawa, but not Reflection. If so perhaps that would add more fuel to my thought that there are too many US-bound flights on Saturday for Canadian North to get a gate, but not on Sunday. They have a well marked checkin counter in both the domestic side and the US side. Hopefully for you you'll be luckier than we were. Have a good trip!

Thanks Thon! I'd really like to get it over with in Ottawa and get to board the ship faster.

Looks like its gonna be sunny and cold on Sunday so it should be a good take-off. Only two sleeps now! :)

Thanks Thon! I'd really like to get it over with in Ottawa and get to board the ship faster.

Looks like its gonna be sunny and cold on Sunday so it should be a good take-off. Only two sleeps now! :)

It's true that Hamilton does not have a US Customs pre-clearance. However, imo, the issue in Miami isn't customs, it was reasonably quick. The baggage area, however, is another story. With so many flights arriving mid to late morning, collecting your bags and exiting the baggage hall were the big issues. If you can pre-clear customs maybe you won't have to go to the same terminal. Good luck.