Snorkeling in La Paz?

skrodle

Hi there-

I am looking at booking an independent snorkeling trip in La Paz. From just a little bit of research, Club Cantamar is walking distance from the Pier and offers snorkeling at about 1/2 the price of ship. Has anyone used them or any other operator to Snorkel? They also offer whale shark as a $20 add on which is much better than the cruise ship.

Any advice is appreciated!!! :)

Been to La Paz several times. Cruisers love the whale sharks, so go for it! Suggest heading out to the nice beach (w/services) a few miles easterly of the cruise pier afterwards (end of the road). The city of La Paz is a few miles westerly of the cruise pier... after snorkel with whale sharks, the nice relaxing beach with services easterly would seem the better choice (La Paz city is the lesser nice). The area is harsh desert climate . Winter is nice. Summer is a bak'n 100F+

Hi there-

I am looking at booking an independent snorkeling trip in La Paz. From just a little bit of research, Club Cantamar is walking distance from the Pier and offers snorkeling at about 1/2 the price of ship. Has anyone used them or any other operator to Snorkel? They also offer whale shark as a $20 add on which is much better than the cruise ship.

Any advice is appreciated!!! :)

Horrible reviews for Club Cantamar. Best be Avoided. Check Trip Advisor. Not Good.

Horrible reviews for Club Cantamar. Best be Avoided. Check Trip Advisor. Not Good.

I did look there, it sounds like the hotel itself is not so good, their reviews of their diving is pretty positive. I like that they are right on the pier. ;) Just sourcing if anyone here has had any person experience with them

I have no information for you in regards to the companies... BUT I would highly recommend snorkeling with whale sharks.

I had the pleasure of doing that on an unplanned stop to La Paz while on a cruise last Nov, and all I can really say about it is wow! It was an amazing experience to say the least.

• 3 months later...
I have no information for you in regards to the companies... BUT I would highly recommend snorkeling with whale sharks.

I had the pleasure of doing that on an unplanned stop to La Paz while on a cruise last Nov, and all I can really say about it is wow! It was an amazing experience to say the least.

What company did you tour with?

I did a whale sharks snorkel last month with Cabo Adventures. I booked thru my resort in Cabo but I am sure that you can do it online. The sharks have pretty much left this area by now as they are migratory and usually are gone by the end of April. We saw 3 and the water was very murky. You better be an Olympic quality swimmer to keep up with them!!! They look like they are just cruising along but they are really moving fast.

I did a whale sharks snorkel last month with Cabo Adventures. I booked thru my resort in Cabo but I am sure that you can do it online. The sharks have pretty much left this area by now as they are migratory and usually are gone by the end of April. We saw 3 and the water was very murky. You better be an Olympic quality swimmer to keep up with them!!! They look like they are just cruising along but they are really moving fast.

Had the same experience at the beginning of March last year. We booked thru the cruise line as we wanted to leave and return from the cruise dock.

I'm not a strong swimmer but with fins I was able to keep up just fine. Swimmers are rotated within the boat and with other boats. For the hour or so that we were with the animals we were in the water 3 times, about 5 minutes each time. Hardest part was getting back into the boat.

What company did you tour with?

Being that La Paz was an unscheduled stop for us (a storm caused our cruise to change ports) I did not have time to really look into private tour companies. Being that it was something that I REALLY wanted to do, I just went ahead and did the tour through CCL's excursions. DW did not want to have anything to do with it, so it was not as a big expense as if she had wanted to. For me, the experience and pictures I got while doing it were well worth the price.