Foggggg :(

Slippin

I would not go directly to the port because it could be awhile. In Galveston, you could go to pleasure pier if the weather is good, Moody Garden if not. If weather is ok, could walk around the strand for free. There is a restaurant right there at the terminal area, forget what it's called, but maybe have lunch and linger there? I just wouldn't want to be stuck in a crowded terminal full of pissy people with nothing to eat or drink, myself. Fair warning though, lines tend to be bad with weather delays. Get through it and enjoy your cruise!

The Freedom should be in any minute now. I have been through this several times and I would recommend staying where you are until given the all clear. You are wasting your time going to the pier. They are going to turn you away. You will get a text message and email when the ship arrives giving the new check in times.

I'm wondering this, too. We are on the road and will be there in about 2 hours. Not sure what to do if we can't go to terminal

It's raining today so I would not go to port until they are ready to start the embarkation. Normally you could hang out on the strand but not sure if you want to walk if its raining.

I was so close to booking a cruise on Emerald.. up to about 3 weeks ago...But at last minute decided to go out of Fort Lauderdale on Regal mainly due to better flight times (love both ships). We cruise next week and until I finalized on Regal...I was hoping fog would not be an issue in late March...(atleast that is what I was told). That concern is another reason I didn't book on Emerald because of my concern of possibly missing my noon flight if a late arrival.

Fog delays sure seem to happen a lot in Galveston. One reason I have never cruised from there. NOLA gets foggy too, but they just keep on truckin there since the ships have technology to navigate in it.

I know you must be disappointed. Hope its not too big of a hassle today.

Fog delays sure seem to happen a lot in Galveston. One reason I have never cruised from there. NOLA gets foggy too, but they just keep on truckin there since the ships have technology to navigate in it.

I live 30 minutes from Galveston and I can tell you they do not happen a lot. It happens in Tampa and Jacksonville as well. If you cruised in the summer months fog would not be an issue.

I live 30 minutes from Galveston and I can tell you they do not happen a lot. It happens in Tampa and Jacksonville as well. If you cruised in the summer months fog would not be an issue.

Agree with this. I live close too, go out of Galveston a LOT, more in winter than summer actually, and have only been fog delayed once...and that was coming back in. It was like a bonus cruise day. They opened everything up and got activities going while we waited. It was AWESOME!

I wish I could find the article I saw last year on the amount of fog delays out of Tampa and Galveston. It was definitely a lot. But at least it's mostly at this time of the year. I personally wouldn't chance these ports until summer.

Edited by Podna's

Agree with this. I live close too, go out of Galveston a LOT, more in winter than summer actually, and have only been fog delayed once...and that was coming back in.

If you have only gotten fogged once cruising during the winter, you have been very lucky. I have been fog delayed on one end or the other 4 times.

It has more to do with port restrictions and limitations, not so much what the ships are capable of doing.

Just like every airport has specific minimum visibility requirements for take off and landing due to differing terrain/obstacles/buildings/runway length from one airport to the next, I'm certain different ports have varying requirements based on local conditions.

I'm sure there's a point where the visibility in NOLA gets too low that ships wouldn't be able to make it in due to port limitations and restrictions.

Edited by stobe1

We experienced fog for one of our cruises in April one year. We didn't get on board until 12:30 the next morning. I was exhausted. They had to reverse the itinerary so that we could still go to every port. We still had a great time.

I'm sure there's a point where the visibility in NOLA gets too low that ships wouldn't be able to make it in due to port limitations and restrictions.

It'll slow them down but not stop the cruise ships. I sailed once where we almost couldn't see our hand it front of our face (slight exaggeration) and we never stopped. We did listen to the fog horn all night but made it to the port almost on time.

Now as for cargo ships, they come to a halt due to fog on the Mississippi.

It'll slow them down but not stop the cruise ships. I sailed once where we almost couldn't see our hand it front of our face (slight exaggeration) and we never stopped. We did listen to the fog horn all night but made it to the port almost on time.

Now as for cargo ships' date=' they come to a halt due to fog on the Mississippi.[/quote']

I concede that I may be wrong. However, I would be shocked if they could legally go up the Mississippi in zero visibility. I can only speak from an aviation perspective. Perhaps someone with some actual nautical experience under their belt could chime in.