Dress Code on the Crown Princess

bunny89

We will be sailing on on the Crown Princess, Pacifical Coastal on April 4th

Let me preface this post, I like getting dressed for dinner and looking nice.

My question is regarding dress code in the dining room.

I will usually have on a cocktail dress or similar for dinner but curious about something I read...

these questions apply to the nights that are NOT designated formal nights:

It says shorts are discouraged in the dining room, even dressy ones...

To those of you who have been on the ship or line, do ladies really not wear dressy, Chico's style bermudas or capris in the main dining room???

Also, jeans... Here in Vegas, dress jeans are the standard for restaurants and clubs etc... Are dress jeans for me not allowed in the dining room ever? Certainly wouldn't wear them on formal night, but what about the other nights?

Here's the current statement on the Princess website about Smart Causual recommended clothing & shorts are not for dinner but okay for breakfast & lunch in the dining room. Nowhere do they say that for Smart Casual good jeans are inappropriate & only those that are frayed and/or have holes in them.

Guest attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

Edited by Astro Flyer

No shorts in the dining room at night. Here are the recommendations off the Princess website. You will be fine with nice jeans on non formal nights.

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Thank you for the replies.

I just sailed on Allure of the Seas in February to the Caribbean and the ladies definitely wore dress shorts and dress capri outfits to the main dining room. Obviously tasteful and dressy... I, personally, don't distinguish a difference between a skirt and blouse versus dressy, bermuda or capri type bottoms and a blouse but I would hate to look too casual.

I will now re-evaluate my packing. :)

I have worn Capri' s in the dinning room with no problems. I have also seen women wear shorts with high heels in the dinning room but I really don't think it was appropriate. BTW you can wear shorts for breakfast and lunch in the dinning room.

I see many women wearing capri pants to the MDR. I have worn them. I don't see many people wearing shorts to dinner, though. I've seen it, but not very often. Nice jeans are perfectly acceptable for smart casual, but some people still don't like them.

There are jeans and there are jeans. Think about someplace that you would try to dress up a little better than if you're just running errands or working on your garden. If you're going to a styish dance club, for example, you don't want to wear an obviously denim-type of jeans. At least I don't. The only time I've worn jeans to a MDR on a cruise were black skinny jeans that I consider a step up from blue jeans. If you're unsure, then skip the jeans and go with a sundress. Capris are fine too, but again, I would go for something better than denim looking ones.

Although shorts are not approved on any nights in the dining room it's been reported that on the Crown they've been seen many times in past trips. If you really want to wear them, see what they currently are tolerating & proceed from there.

Capri's are definitely OK as are jeans of any style as long as they're the type without the rips & holes.

Thank you for the replies.

I just sailed on Allure of the Seas in February to the Caribbean and the ladies definitely wore dress shorts and dress capri outfits to the main dining room. Obviously tasteful and dressy... I, personally, don't distinguish a difference between a skirt and blouse versus dressy, bermuda or capri type bottoms and a blouse but I would hate to look too casual.

I will now re-evaluate my packing. :)

I know the style you are talking about, and they are fine. I have some dress "City Shorts", that are knee length, very dressy and I wear them with a nice blouse and very dressy sandals. I also saw tons of ladies in capris. Dressier ones, not the athletic type ones. But, 90% of the time I wear a summer dress. I like wearing dresses.

Edited by wrongwaywatson

I know the style you are talking about, and they are fine. I have some dress "City Shorts", that are knee length, very dressy and I wear them with a nice blouse and very dressy sandals. I also saw tons of ladies in capris. Dressier ones, not the athletic type ones.

Exactly the style I am speaking to!!

I am short and capris never hit me in the correct place plus I just don't feel sexy in them. I love my Chicos knee length dressy Bermudas and didn't think those with a very nice blouse and sandals was that bad of a choice for non-formal nights.

I look much better in those and feel better in them than I do most of my skirts which are actually shorter. Ha

Thanks for your input.

I'll pack a couple sundress type things and if there is an issue, I can just go change. :)

Exactly the style I am speaking to!!

I am short and capris never hit me in the correct place plus I just don't feel sexy in them. I love my Chicos knee length dressy Bermudas and didn't think those with a very nice blouse and sandals was that bad of a choice for non-formal nights.

I look much better in those and feel better in them than I do most of my skirts which are actually shorter. Ha

Thanks for your input.

I'll pack a couple sundress type things and if there is an issue, I can just go change. :)

Mine came from Chico's! They are very dressy and very stylish!

Mine came from Chico's! They are very dressy and very stylish!

Great minds.. Haha

I love Chicos. I love their dressier stuff. It's just so easy and elegant.

I pair the shorts with dressy blouses and jewels and usually a beaded sandals or my favorite pair of Kate Spade espadrille heeled sandals. :)

Edited by bunny89

I love to go in there, tell them that I have an event that I need an outfit for and they put the whole thing together for me! It always looks stylish, classy and very flattering.

Yes!! That's the best! So easy and always looks great.