New Orleans Cruise Ship Parking (flood)

Jack Benton

Melissa, I hope you have good luck as well but sorry to say I don't think you should count on it. I saw those cars in Fulton garage. They're not badly damaged but the windows were busted out and most seemed to have the ignitions messed with.

We'll send a few prayers your way!

Do you know when you're going for it yet?

Take jumper cables and duct tape----just because duct tape is always good to have around. :)

Melissa, I hope you have good luck as well but sorry to say I don't think you should count on it. I saw those cars in Fulton garage. They're not badly damaged but the windows were busted out and most seemed to have the ignitions messed with.

We'll send a few prayers your way!

Do you know when you're going for it yet?

Take jumper cables and duct tape----just because duct tape is always good to have around. :)

I think they are planning on leaving this weekend. They are bringing everything but the kitchen sink. I know one guy is bringing spare tires, jumper cables, gasoline, camera, tow bar......they are not wanting to have to make another trip. The insurance company has told him that if they can't get the vehicle started to just leave it there.....???? I guess they will pay for it to come back here to be repaired. Who knows? I will let you know how it goes.

Okay, My husband just called from New Orleans and told me that he never even got stopped for a pass ( I guess since they are letting residents back in) They are only bringing back 2 vehicles out of the 4 they went to retrieve. 2 had been attempted to be hot-wired and wouldn't budge. The other 2 started no problem. The truck will need to have a new door from the way whoever broke in. I am like burface and just wish that if they were trying to get away from the flood they would have been successful but now the vehicles won't even start. I guess they will have to have them taken somewhere to be fixed. We had cell phones left in our vehicles like soooo many others and I just noticed today that we had 1 call to California and 3 to NOLA. 1 guy had $200 added to his cell phone because he didn't think to put a hold on his account. We put a hold on our account the day we got back so no extra charges. I have been tempted to call the #'s just to see who broke in. OH and 1 guy had a gun in his vehicle (he had a permit) it was stolen also. I guess we will be making another trip to NOLA very shortly. If anyone wants us to check on there cars please let us know and we will.

P.S. Burface, When are you going to get your van?

Okay, My husband just called from New Orleans and told me that he never even got stopped for a pass ( I guess since they are letting residents back in) They are only bringing back 2 vehicles out of the 4 they went to retrieve. 2 had been attempted to be hot-wired and wouldn't budge. The other 2 started no problem. The truck will need to have a new door from the way whoever broke in. I am like burface and just wish that if they were trying to get away from the flood they would have been successful but now the vehicles won't even start. I guess they will have to have them taken somewhere to be fixed. We had cell phones left in our vehicles like soooo many others and I just noticed today that we had 1 call to California and 3 to NOLA. 1 guy had $200 added to his cell phone because he didn't think to put a hold on his account. We put a hold on our account the day we got back so no extra charges. I have been tempted to call the #'s just to see who broke in. OH and 1 guy had a gun in his vehicle (he had a permit) it was stolen also. I guess we will be making another trip to NOLA very shortly. If anyone wants us to check on there cars please let us know and we will.

P.S. Burface, When are you going to get your van?

Hi Melissa, glad to hear you were able to retrieve at least two of your vehicles. Sorry to hear there was damage to the door too on your truck.

I'm not sure yet when we'll be going for our van. We still (nor the insurance) have not received the estimate. My husband called the Ford Service center yesterday and the Body Shop Manager said he would go fax the estimate himself right then to us and the insurance. Hopefully, we'll have the fax when we get to work on Monday and can get something going on it.

I'm just thinking by the time we get through all the red tape that we'll be going towards the end of the month or the first part of November. Boy, this may mess up our yearly October weekends of Haunted House hopping!!! :)

Good luck and keep me posted. If you need a Ford dealer, let me know and I'll give you the one we had ours towed too.

• 4 weeks later...
Haven't heard from anyone lately about whether or not you were able to get your cars and what the condition of them was.

Our car is still there but it is now in "repair" mode. We should be able to make a trip down to get it within the next week or so. I can't believe it's been there so long. :eek:

Hope everyone else has either gotten theirs or will be soon.

Our car is still there but it is now in "repair" mode. We should be able to make a trip down to get it within the next week or so. I can't believe it's been there so long. :eek:

Hope everyone else has either gotten theirs or will be soon.

I think every weekend since we got back from the cruise we have planned on going down there to get the vehicles and something ALWAYS comes up. One guy in our group took his mechanic down there with him and it took them 12 hours to change out the ignition. :eek:. That means we only have one vehicle left to get. I hope by the time we go back down there that the Gumbo Shop is opened back up.:D

I know what you mean, Melissa. I told the garage that has our car to have it fixed by Nov 4th and we'll be down that weekend since no other weekend has worked out yet. Turns out my husband has to be in Syracuse, NY for a corporate meeting until Saturday at noon. Tried to arrange a flight straight to NOLA for him and can't get anything that will work.

So I'm hoping by the Nov 12th and if not, absolutely the 19th getting down there finally!

Heck, at this rate, all of NOLA will be up and running by the time we get back. We should just plan on another cruise. :D

I hope by the time we go back down there that the Gumbo Shop is opened back up.:D

I practically have Gumbo Shop on my speed dial at this point lol! I called again yesterday to see if anyone might answer. I am SO ready to go have a "combination plate." MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

On a positive note, a shopping mall reopened in Metairie yesterday (suburb of NOLA). I don't know how many shops are open, but we're heading out there today since our mall was set on fire and the owners have decided NOT to rebuild/reopen :-( It's just one small "sign of life" down here, and it will feel good to do something "normal" like walk through the mall - if that makes any sense.

Rowan, enjoy the mall trip. It's the little things that make the difference and will make everything seem like home again.

The mall that was set fire to, was that in Gretna? We stayed at the LaQuinta there the night before our cruise. We shopped in that mall and took pizza back to the hotel from the Italian Rest that was adjacent to the mall. I don't remember the name but it was delicious.

Yep, that was the one! Sears owns its part of the building, so it's already open - the rest of the mall sustained major structural damage (from the fire set by our lovely citizens, NOT from Katrina) and it sounds like they're not planning to re-open it.

We did venture out to Lakeside Mall today - about 2/3 of the stores were open, and it was so crowded you would have thought it was the day after Thanksgiving. I think EVERYONE was wanting to do something "normal" for a change! We didn't stay long, as most of the stores we like were not open or looked like they had some damage - but it was nice to get out. The worst part - the Cafe du Monde in the mall was CLOSED! The horror! Guess I'll have to hit the French Quarter after all.

MAN, I didn't even think about Morning Call - that was my very favorite place growing up - having parents that didn't favor the quarter too much, that was our beignet destination. I think I went there after every academic function, play, etc, etc - such fond memories. We left the mall and drove to the house we almost bought last year - we had a predicated offer on it but it fell through. There was a 15 foot high pile of sheet rock, ductwork, carpet, wood, etc in front of it, along with signs for mold removal, etc from the contractors that had been there. Greg and I breathed a HUGE sigh of relief that the purchase of that house fell through - we're high and dry at our house - just have to get a new roof, shutters, and fence if State Farm EVER sends someone out here!

I practically have Gumbo Shop on my speed dial at this point lol! I called again yesterday to see if anyone might answer. I am SO ready to go have a "combination plate." MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Gumbo Shop said they plan on opening the FQ restaurant in early December. Their restaurant in Biloxi was completely destroyed and plans aren't settled for it. The mail order and catering business should be up and running by mid-November (wonder what I may order for Thanksgiving!).

They said they will post the dates on their website.

Thanks for the update. I checked their site yesterday hoping for some sort of opening date - but there was nothing. I will keep checking. I swear I'll be counting the DAYS until I can go there. That will be a nice treat to look forward to when we return from our cruise. I honestly would rather eat at Gumbo Shop than any other place in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

It took us long enough but we finally have all of our vehicles from New Orleans. We had the last one towed out and sent to a car dealership. They told us how much it was going to cost to fix it so we decided to go pick it up and have it looked at locally instead. After picking it up we had noticed that it had been broken into AGAIN and even more damage had been done. Atleast we have it back.....it won't start but maybe soon it will.

Hey Melissa, glad you've got them all back now. Our van is still there. Hubby is going to call tomorrow to see if it's done so we can make plans to go pick it up. We have so much going on right now, it's hard to find free time. Oh well.

By the way, I think we ate in Jackson on our last trip back from NOLA. It was little Greek rest, set in an old house near a hospital, I think. The food was very good. Do you know the place?

Hey Melissa, glad you've got them all back now. Our van is still there. Hubby is going to call tomorrow to see if it's done so we can make plans to go pick it up. We have so much going on right now, it's hard to find free time. Oh well.

By the way, I think we ate in Jackson on our last trip back from NOLA. It was little Greek rest, set in an old house near a hospital, I think. The food was very good. Do you know the place?

Hummmmmm, I'm trying to think of the place your talking about. I'm not sure I've ever heard of it. I might have to check into though because I'm tired of the same Ol stuff..... I hope you have a safe trip to New Orleans.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived