Buying Sterling Silver Jewelry Onboard

seagazer06

We are going to Nassau. Not wild about the haggling I hear about at the Straw market and can't really tell if there is decent jewelry there either from reading the posts about shopping. Anybody know if there are quality jewelry stores in downtown Nassau?

There are plenty of jewelry stores in Nassau all just a short stroll away. Go to the shopping information session onboard to get a sense of where NCL suggests you go. As for onboard purchases they do sales so if you see something you like grab it. It is sterling not a high ticket item like diamonds. If you over pay by $5 for something you want your vacation won't be ruined.

There are plenty of jewelry stores in Nassau all just a short stroll away. Go to the shopping information session onboard to get a sense of where NCL suggests you go. As for onboard purchases they do sales so if you see something you like grab it. It is sterling not a high ticket item like diamonds. If you over pay by $5 for something you want your vacation won't be ruined.

Thanks!

TripAdvisor has a couple of recommendations. Both are on Charlotte St. which is about a block up from the main street you encounter when leaving the terminal building. These are not cheapy places.

Coin of the Realm ... offers conch pearls as well as other things.

John Bull (actually on Bay St) offers Bulgari through Cartier and many more.

TripAdvisor has a couple of recommendations. Both are on Charlotte St. which is about a block up from the main street you encounter when leaving the terminal building. These are not cheapy places.

Coin of the Realm ... offers conch pearls as well as other things.

John Bull (actually on Bay St) offers Bulgari through Cartier and many more.

More great info thanks! Love the Lemony Snicket quote!

If you have an idea of what kind of jewelry you want to look for (bracelet, earrings, etc.) get some idea of prices here in the US before you go shopping. I found that in the ship shops,as well as those in Nassau, the prices for jewelry were ridiculously high. One example, I saw a silver ring at one of the stores that was almost exactly like one I had purchased before I left for the cruise. I paid $129.00 for it (on sale). The price in the jewelry store in Nassau was more than $300. They were willing to bargain when I said no I think they came down to about $225. But that was still way too high. On the first night of sailing (Carnival) the jewelry store was selling Pandora-style bracelets for $9.99. Not too many people were buying. The last night at sea the store was running a "special" with the same bracelets - 2 for $29.00. People were buying them up like crazy! Same exact bracelets, just $9.00 MORE for two of them.

Here's a tip that may help you save some money: Before you get off the ship, check to see if there are any coupons available for the stores. You can also go online before you leave. There were discount coupons available for many of the high-end jewelry stores. We also got some for free pendants (chain not included). They weren't quality jewelry, and the promotion was meant to get people in the store to shop. But if I am going to browse anyway, I'll take something that's free.