Suggestions for Sydney

Cruzin-K

I was thinking of a ship's excursion to the Fortress of Louisbourg, but according to this site

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/lhn-nhs/ns/louisbourg/visit/heures-hours.aspx

it's closed on Saturdays :( (low season - we'll be there October 24)

How can the cruise line offer a tour to someplace that is closed :mad:

Anyway, any suggestions for other decent attractions near Sydney.

What about just getting off the ship and wandering around town. Will there be anything to see/do on a Saturday in late October :confused:

Edited by Cruzin-K

We went to Louisbourg on a Princess ship's tour on a weekday in early October 2014, near the end of the autumn shoulder season as defined by Parks Canada. There were more re-enactors and more open rooms than we had expected based on the Parks Canada website -- certainly enough to keep us busy and informed during the 2.25 hours on the site (not counting the 0.75 hr bus ride each way). I do not know whether there would be as much activity at Louisbourg during ship tours on low-season dates later in Oct.

Our tour was greatly enhanced by the tour guide, a Canadian Navy veteran ("Navy Nick") who gave a lot of historical information during the 0.75 hr rides from Sydney to Louisbourg and return The only negative was that there were no photo stops en route. We were glad to have taken this Louisbourg tour, despite the fact that I had been there once before--decades ago, early during the restoration process.

If we return to Sydney by ship, we would probably go to Baddeck, though visiting the coal mine also sounds interesting.

Another popular alternative is a road trip on the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park--I did that many year ago (not during a cruise). The scenery is spectacular, especially in autumn with the fall colours. However, the distances from Sydney are long in relation to the time available during a port call. If you foresee returning to Nova Scotia by land sometime in future (preferably in autumn), the Cabot Trail would IMHO be better saved for then, when you would have enough time available to travel the full route. (Day trips from Sydney travel only part of the route and then double back.)

John

Edited by J-D

We have done two tours with Don Blackwood Tours that we thoroughly enjoyed. The first time Don took us along the Cape Breton Trail to Ingonish. This past September, we planned another Cape Breton tour with Don, but due to closure of the ferry and roadwork, Don took us to Baddeck, where we visited the Alexander Graham Bell Museum and had a wonderful lunch in Baddeck at the Bell Buoy Restaurant. We can highly recommend Don Blackwood Tours. Don is the former Head of Tourism for Cape Breton Island.

Edited by Cruise_More_Often

We rented a car and drove to Glace for the Miner' Museum. It was absolutely fascinating. The tour was conducted by a retired miner and we went down into a real coal mine, bending lower and lower as we entered further into the shaft. We finally ended up in a "room" where we could stand up. It is hard to believe what the minors did for pennies a day. There is usually a ship excursion if you want to go that way.

Edited by pizzalady1