Quantum Dining Review (the food, not Dynamic Dining)

klitch

Oh dear TrojanUSC, it sounds like you're having a bit of a tough one. I hope you don't let it spoil the rest of your cruise!

Good to know about the bar service and other bits and bobs. I always avoid the buffet as I always seem to encounter guests who don't understand how a queue works and just barge in like they're something special. I stick to table service venues!

Instead of having a few areas (I think Oasis has four) for soft drinks, they have ONE, unless you have your Freestyle cup, which I didn't happen to bring. When I asked the man where I could have a soda, he told me I couldn't get one without my cup. I told him this was inaccurate as I'd seen several people with soft drinks he argued for a bit and ultimately said "it's around here somewhere then." Great thanks for that insight, sir. I eventually found that soft drinks are served behind the single bar in the restaurant, so my simple Diet Coke request is behind seven people waiting for complicated alcoholic/frozen beverages. For no apparent reason, they didn't add soda guns to the other non-alcoholic beverage stations as every other ship has.

I am really interested how the Freestyle machines work. My partner and I love those machines after seeing them at a cinema in Downtown Disney - they were so cool and having them on a ship sounds awesome. We've got a beverage package (the one that comes for free with the offer, which we'll both upgrade to Ultimate) so how do we get drinks? Does the plastic cup have some sort of chip in there to unlock the machine, or do you tap your SeaPass/WOWBand on some part of the machine?

It seems strange that they would force you to use the horrible resort mug, given most other cruise ships don't want you refilling cups at all for sanitary reasons. Aren't there normal glasses there too? I also don't like the idea of having to carry a big plastic cup round with me all the time just in case I want a soft drink.

I hope your cruise picks up and you manage to enjoy the ship! :)

• 10 months later...
Has anybody worked out how the freestyle drinks machine works...I was wondering the same thing as the person above

Yes! My honeymoon on Anthem was in September, so I'm now familiar with how this works.

When you board the ship you will be given a plastic Royal Caribbean resort mug which unlocks unlimited use of the Freestyle machines. You need to have the mug with you in order to use the machines, so it is a case of carrying it around with you whenever you want to use these.

Of course the bar staff will provide a much more limited range of soft drinks without the mug - just show your SeaPass or WoWBand.

I actually didn't find it quite as inconvenient as I expected. We took a little bag to the pool or around the ship when chilling out, so we popped the cups in there with Kindles etc. The biggest downside was then coming back from shore and wanting to head straight to a lounge or for a hot dog etc. Then you felt like you had to go back to the stateroom to get the cups.

Hope that helps, but I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have :)

Thanks for that...One last question ..what drinks are being served..is it only Coke and diet coke?

Freestyle machines offer a large range of combinations of flavours with products e.g. grape Fanta, strawberry Fanta and so on.

Bars have the more usual range you would typically find at a bar or other place with soft drinks.