Summit - what is there to do for a parent and child (if you don't like laying out)?

gumbocc1009

So my daughter (age 10) and I are accompanying my parents on the Summit to celebrate their 50th wedding Anniversary. We will have about 4 days at sea.

I am trying to figure out what my child and I can do to pass the time while we're on the ship (when my parents want some alone-time).

I see that kids are allowed in 1 of the 3 pools, but I don't see us spending much time here. I also see there *may* be shuffleboard and there *may* be bocce (reports seem to vary on this). And it sounds like there are some ping pong tables.

Are there any other activities that my child and I can do together on the Summit?

My backup is to bring crafts, games, and DVDs (but it would be nice to enjoy some ship-related activities as well).

Thanks!

Your child can go to the kid's club and keep very occupied for both day and evening. Kids in that 10 year old bracket seem to really love the kid's club activities. For you, there are trivia games, cooking demonstrations and other things that will be listed in the daily.

I've not seen bocce on an M class ship, only the S class ships that have a lawn area. There is shuffleboard and basketball.

Thanks Tracie.

My kid is generally not interested in the kids club, and I don't plan to force her (she didn't even step into the kids club on our RCCL cruise, and she went to the DCL club just once, and that was only because her best friend from school was going).

Maybe she'll change her mind this time (since there doesn't appear to be much to do) - we shall see. I'll be sure to bring a couple books for myself (in case she decides to try out the kids club).

Are there any activities targeted to families?? Or are there just adult activities and kid activities (never the twain shall meet)?

Thanks!

They do have some for parents and children but they are done through the kids club. Check with them when you board. I'm sure she could join you in some of the "adult" activities too. Just read the daily to see what's available.

There are books on board. If you go to the library early you likely will find a couple of interesting titles. As for kids - Would be surprised if she did not want to join in some of the kids club activities. She also if a more studious sort would probably like Trivia. It is done both general knowledge and music. A couple times a day. She would smoke most cruisers in music!

The kids club indeed has a number of activities that are for families. this is more so on AK cruises because there will be lots of kids and families on board. Very different having a couple hundred kids compared to under 10 on a 2 week Antarctic cruise. Thus the activities are different too. Last, always can keep a lookout for marine life.

Hope you both have a great time. I know my family - 3 generations did last year. almost never saw our grandsons except at dinner.

Thanks. Again, I will gently suggest the kids club, but I don't think she will be interested... although maybe the lack of activities on the ship will convince her to try it...

I am, admittedly, leery of this ship... there was SO much to do on the prior 2 ships we cruised on... (heck, the last ship had bumper cars and a parachute simulator!!!)

Well, I'll be sure to save some good books for the trip... and I'm looking forward to seeing Bermuda (which I've heard is quite lovely).

QUESTION - are kids allowed in *all* the restaurants? Or are some adult-only? (Just want to make sure I know before we board - I looked at the Celebrity website, but they don't mention anything.)

Thanks again for the ideas, really appreciate it!

Thanks. Again, I will gently suggest the kids club, but I don't think she will be interested... although maybe the lack of activities on the ship will convince her to try it...

I am, admittedly, leery of this ship... there was SO much to do on the prior 2 ships we cruised on... (heck, the last ship had bumper cars and a parachute simulator!!!)

Well, I'll be sure to save some good books for the trip... and I'm looking forward to seeing Bermuda (which I've heard is quite lovely).

QUESTION - are kids allowed in *all* the restaurants? Or are some adult-only? (Just want to make sure I know before we board - I looked at the Celebrity website, but they don't mention anything.)

If you check the Celebrity website, for Normandie as an example, it states that guests 12 years and older are welcome.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/cruise-restaurants-the-normandie

Here's another paragraph from Celebrity showing which restaurants are 12 years and older:

If you are dining in Celebrity's Speciality Restaurants you must be at least 12 years old, with the exception of Silk Harvest, Qsine®, Bistro on Five, The Lawn Club Grill, and Tuscan Grille. Guests of any age will be accommodated in these five restaurants. Also, children of any age that are booked in AquaClass® staterooms are welcome to dine in Blu with an adult.

http://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/manage-my-booking/dining-arrangements/speciality-dining/

Here's another paragraph from Celebrity showing which restaurants are 12 years and older:

If you are dining in Celebrity's Speciality Restaurants you must be at least 12 years old, with the exception of Silk Harvest, Qsine®, Bistro on Five, The Lawn Club Grill, and Tuscan Grille. Guests of any age will be accommodated in these five restaurants. Also, children of any age that are booked in AquaClass® staterooms are welcome to dine in Blu with an adult.

http://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/manage-my-booking/dining-arrangements/speciality-dining/

Thanks, that will be very helpful for the Grandparents. Think I will encourage them to have a nice meal one evening (and my child & I can grab some sushi from the cafeteria).

Sorry, I keep thinking of new questions! How does one find out which nights are formal???? Or should I just call the Celebrity toll free #??

Thanks, that will be very helpful for the Grandparents. Think I will encourage them to have a nice meal one evening (and my child & I can grab some sushi from the cafeteria).

Sorry, I keep thinking of new questions! How does one find out which nights are formal???? Or should I just call the Celebrity toll free #??

Not sure which itinerary you are doing, but it sounds like Bermuda. If that's the case, I think I remember reading that it was the 2nd night and 6th night. (First sea day and last day in Bermuda.)

If your itinerary isn't Bermuda, then nevermind :cool:

Not sure which itinerary you are doing, but it sounds like Bermuda. If that's the case, I think I remember reading that it was the 2nd night and 6th night. (First sea day and last day in Bermuda.)

If your itinerary isn't Bermuda, then nevermind :cool:

Thanks!! (yes, Bermuda)

I am a loyal Celebrity cruiser and have sailed with my son many times on X since he was around 6 years old. My honest opinion is that on M class ships, other than swimming there is not a lot for a child that age to do if they are not interested in the kids club. Most activities are indeed adults oriented or child oriented (as has been said, there are some things all ages can participate in, but not that many). M class ships do not even have the nice TV selection of free movies that S class has. I do not recall ping pong specifically last time I sailed on M class, but then I was not looking for it and I know they used to have it so likely they still do. Same with shuffleboard (which while an old game can be surprisingly interesting for kids of that age). There is a basketball court and a small arcade.

When we used to sail M class (and Galaxy class before that) other than the pool we were our son's primary entertainment as he did not like going to the kids club either. There are very limited games onboard, so we brought things from home. I know you don't want your kids starting at a screen all day, but a tablet or laptop with some games/movies, etc.. is not a bad idea. Years ago my son used to also bring his Gameboy.

I would like to tell you differently, as I love Celebrity, but with four days at sea expect to spend a lot of time being responsible for your child's entertainment if she doesn't want to do kids club.

Edited by phoenix_dream

I believe the table is in a room near the kids clubs. The daily activity listing usually has some craft activities too and there is usually lots of trivia. I always bring myself a craft project (I am cruising on the summit in June with my sister) and pick a place to work on it ( not my cabin).

Sometimes they have tours too that are not extra, like the kitchen or back stage, which you both may enjoy.

You may want to look at the roll call for your week and post that you are traveling with your daughter and her age- you might find other kids her age on the ship and tell her about them - it might make her interested in meeting them at the kids club.

It is a lovely quiet ship, my daughter, niece and nephew enjoyed it when we did a family vacation on the summit about 4 yrs ago, they went to the kids club but my daughter who was 13 just met some kids and they hung out on the ship not in the kids club all the time.

Enjoy your vacation!

Ilene

There is both ping pong and shuffleboard and of course the basketball court.

Irk's suggestion of asking on your roll call if there are others with children of the same age is very wise. If she could make a friend they are bound to have fun together.

Most kids love the kids club and the problem is they are shy too go alone. Even if your daughter was not keen before, I'd try again as 10 is a good age for them to make new friends and have fun.

Enjoy your cruise!

My sons are younger (3 & 6) but were well entertained by the fun factory doing craft and playing

I booked them into the VIP Party Pass because it was $60 each, much lower than I had read and I wanted them to do the tours.

Every evening a family activity was organised (games, quiz, movie etc) but that was late for the boys at 7 or 8pm

This was a Caribbean cruise with only one sea day but we stayed on board at some islands

Do go to the kids club on the first day to meet the counselors and get a copy of the schedule (this may also be in your cabin.) I know most itineraries have some family activities, I seem to remember family bingo every sea day afternoon and there are probably others. You child may be interested in doing this with you, plus it would help her meet other kids and maybe develop some interest in the club. Also, some of the general activities may interest her such as the kitchen tour, and sometimes movies are shown in the theater. But if all else fails, movies loaded onto an iPad will help pass the time. In Bermuda, there is plenty to keep her occupied.

My daughter, now 11, has been on the Summit to Bermuda three times. She is not a kids club fan either, except for the scavenger hunts. She didn't miss one. We also participated in a couple of regular scavenger hunts as a family. We always found something for her and her brother to do. In fact, she's upset that our cruise this summer only has one sea day.

We did Summit on a TA in 2008 when my daughter was 10 and she had a great time. 8 or 9 days at sea on that cruise.

She did go to the kids club but quite honestly it was her, my son, one other boy my son's age and the counselor. So the couselors had things scheduled but pretty much if the kids wanted to play a board game or do a craft project, they set their own schedule.

We have taken quite a few Sea Day intensive cruises with our kids over the years and we bring along games that are easily packable like Apples to Apples, Balderdash, Carcasonne, and a few others. We don't pack the whole box, just the cards and playing pieces in plastic bags.

The kids have enjoyed the grown up things too like the concerts or presentations in the theaters. Food demos are another one they have enjoyed. Kids are actually great to have along for trivia, because sometimes the questions will be something they just learned about in school. They also enjoyed watching passenger participation activities like pool Olympics or volleyball. Since it is a special cruise with her grand parents, maybe there would be some events she could attend with them like line dancing or Zumba or ballroom dancing.

It has been a while since I've been on Summit, so can someone tell me if they have the on-demand in room movies that they have on the Solstice ships?

Thank you so much everyone!

I will be on the look out for the scavenger hunts (both child-only and general). And again, I will encourage her to try the kids club (we shall see).

But I figure forewarned = forearmed, and I will be sure to bring plenty of things for her (and *me*) to do...

Thanks again!!!

:)

My son started travelling with us on Celebrity when he was ten. He was stand offish for sure. He did not want to go to the club and I did not want him attached to my hip the whole time. I bribed him with the opportunity to buy what he wanted once we got to Bermuda if he agreed to try it for two hours. Loved it and never saw him unless I forced him. It's a perfect kids club because there are so few kids that they all tend to hang together and not buddy up and leave anyone out. I must say, my kid is pretty current and together and he thought all the different types of kids were interesting and fun. Make a deal with her and I bet she'll love it. Good luck.

As long as you go with them, kids can go to (and win) Bingo. This was always my kids' favorite, although Bingo on X has gotten very pricey!

When our kids were that age range, we were on RCCL, and they loved their kids clubs. And, I think there is an arcade.

Oh, and the kid's club does a family bingo (no cash prizes, just swag, but free) and a talent show. These events aren't usually in the daily planner, so pick up the kid's club schedule. They're usually early afternoon of the final sea day.

There is one lonely ping pong table on the lido deck. Unfortunately, it's in the smoking area. The kid's club hosted a ping pong tournament one day. There is also shuffleboard on the promenade deck outside the Martini Bar.

Hi- heading on the Summit in less than 2 weeks with my 6 year old. I believe there is also an arcade there. I'll post back when I return. We are In a similar situation with my son- he wouldn't go to the kids club on DCL unless I went with him. I'll let you know!