Looking at opinions on multiple cruiselines to Bermuda

cocacola86

Looking at 4 ships to Bermuda

RC Anthem of the seas 5 days, inside stateroom, 2324 CDN

Celebrity Summit 7 days OV 2508 CDN

RC Grandeur of the seas 7 days 2470

I've never been on any other cruiseline except Carnival,

1. Anthem for its features

2. Celebrity I hear nothing good things about it.

What is your opinion on the Breakaway and

can you bring Pop onboard and how is the food onboard, my DW doesn't want to book for the fact that she can't get Diet Coke and where is the Royal Naval Yard compared to Kings Wharf?

Whatre some top things to do in Bermuda, what's the weather like in May, is it a warm place? Can you come and go to and from the ship as it is docked. Royal/Celebrity sail out of Cape Liberty and Carnival sails out of NY, which port is a better port to sail out of. If you could give me your insight on your past cruises or to Bermuda and based on a rough estimate on price/days your choice. Should we count out Anthem based on price/days, although it would be my decision, but helpful hints help out a lot.

I can't do any comparisons for you. I can add a little bit to the mix though. For itinerary, I think the Holland America ship out of Boston wins.

King's Wharf and the Royal Naval Yard are the same thing.

I would count out the 5 day cruise simply because a 7 day cruise is always better than a 5 day one.

And yes, you can bring Coke onboard the ship.

Edited by cruizinwithkids

Looking at 4 ships to Bermuda

RC Anthem of the seas 5 days, inside stateroom, 2324 CDN

Celebrity Summit 7 days OV 2508 CDN

RC Grandeur of the seas 7 days 2470

I've never been on any other cruiseline except Carnival,

1. Anthem for its features

2. Celebrity I hear nothing good things about it.

What is your opinion on the Breakaway and

can you bring Pop onboard and how is the food onboard, my DW doesn't want to book for the fact that she can't get Diet Coke and where is the Royal Naval Yard compared to Kings Wharf?

Whatre some top things to do in Bermuda, what's the weather like in May, is it a warm place? Can you come and go to and from the ship as it is docked. Royal/Celebrity sail out of Cape Liberty and Carnival sails out of NY, which port is a better port to sail out of. If you could give me your insight on your past cruises or to Bermuda and based on a rough estimate on price/days your choice. Should we count out Anthem based on price/days, although it would be my decision, but helpful hints help out a lot.

Hello

cannot comment on other cruise line always cruised with Norwegian sorry cannot help to compare ship . We are planning for next June out of Boston on the dawn . We have sailed on the breakaway, Gem and the Pearl in the past . I found the Breakaway to big for my pleasure you never meet the same people on any given days, but she is a great ship. Lots of activity and great show every day . We always bring pop on the ship and never was a problem.

check out these site for Bermuda info

http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_000027.htm

http://www.ncl.com/port/kings-wharf/cruises

http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_00006b.htm

Visitors Information Centers at Kings Wharf Dockyard

There are three Visitors Information Centers located in the dockyard. One near the Kings Wharf pier, one at the end of Heritage Wharf pier and the third near the dockyard ferry dock. You will get free pocket maps, brochures, tour guides, bus & ferry passes and tokens at the centers. They are usually open on all seven days and have shorter working hours on Saturdays and Sundays unless there is a cruise ship on port.

Note that when a cruise ship arrives, there are usually long queues at these centers. Tourists line up to buy transport passes, get directions and to get hold of maps & brochures. Check out Visitors Information Centers for more details including location, timings & offerings of the centers.

Distances to places within Dockyard

Once you get off the cruise ship (either at Kings Wharf or Heritage Wharf pier), the distance to the landward end of the pier would be about 300 yards. From here the bus stop or the ferry dock is about 75 yards. All attractions in the dockyard are within distances of 250 to 500 yards or so. For example the Snorkel Park & Beach is about 5 minutes walk from the cruise pier and Clocktower Mall is 6-7 minutes.

Edited by Orleanscruiser

Not sure of the itineraries of the ships other then NCL which just does dockyard.

If the other stop in Hamilton and st George's go with them based on itinerary,

We loved being in Hamilton and the sail in and out of st George's cut is very cool.

Dockyards is so far away from anything in our opinion

I can try to help...

Are you looking more for the ship experience or the Bermuda experience or both equally?

I loved the Breakaway to Bermuda so much that I booked it again as soon as I got home last year. You can bring on as much soda as you wish.

I would pick Anthem as my 2nd choice except 5 days is really not enough for me. You really only have ~ 36 hrs there which is not enough time...

My parents did the Summit last year, they sail mostly Celebrity and HAL and were not impressed by this trip. They felt the ship was a little run down and the food/service was not up to their past trips on Celebrity.

Grandeur is one of the older smaller ships in RC's fleet. You didn't mention the cabin category. If you don't care about all of the bells and whistles this ship should be fine but again port time is only ~ 48hrs

They have a 7 day out of NJ with two sea days, May 16 arrive at 9 depart 17th than onto Boston. 1299 CDN for an inside with virtual balcony. The breakaway is 2571 for an OV or Anthem of the seas 3112 CDN where as NCL is in US. I like NCLs inteneray better but like Anthem amenitys

May is beautiful weather but the water will be cool (if you are from Canada you probably won't think so!!!)

I think leaving from NY vs NJ is about the same. I do recall there is some weird parking situation in NJ where you park then have to take a shuttle to the boarding area? For NY you park right in a parking garage that has elevators to the boarding area.

There is so much to see/do in Bermuda. It's very clean and safe there. Locals are super friendly and helpful. Public transportation is clean safe and reasonably priced.

You can visit historic sites, walk/bike the Railway Trail, go to Cooper's Island Nature Reserve, the aquarium, the Caves, just walk around Hamilton and eat/shop. Snorkel/scuba dive, relax on the beach, tour the island.

Did the Breakaway to Bermuda last June. Best family vacation we ever had. Ate at only the complimentary restaurants and they were all fantastic! To be honest, while we tried them all, we were just as happy with the buffet at least one meal a day.

I actually have been researching Bermuda and finally jumped today! I chose the Breakaway 7 day out of New York. In addition to cost, I love that the ship is on the island several days, and having been on the NCL Epic, I figured Breakway would feel similar yet new to me since they're the same class.

The buffet on Epic was surprisingly good. Complementary dining was good, and I also tried several of the add on restaurants. Cagneys and Moderno were my favorite. The rooms were smaller than most but I spent little time in the room so who cares! Entertainment required scheduling so I'm curious if Breakaway is the same.

I'm ready for pink beaches, snorkeling, and kayaking. Good luck choosing!

• 2 weeks later...

I've done the Bermuda cruise on 3 different ships.

NCL Crown...we were supposed to go to both Hamilton and St Georges, but because of wind we weren't able to sail into St Georges so we stayed parked at Hamilton for 3 days. Loved this April cruise.

Celebrity Summitt...was my favorite ship 10+ years ago. This was a Sept cruise and it was hot and humid. Ship is tired. Still enjoyed the cruise though.

NCL Breakaway...Loved. May 2014, May 2015, and May 2016. Weather was perfect...hope our luck holds out!

I've been to Bermuda many times on cruises over the years. I've been on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Carnival, Princess, and NCL. My favorite of all was NCL Dawn when it went out of NY. When the ships were smaller, it was great to be able to dock in Hamilton and St. George, but with all the large ships going to the Dockyard now the area has many close amenities and shops. That being said, the public transportation system in Bermuda makes all areas readily accessible. You can buy a 3 day pass which allows you unlimited use of buses and ferries. You can take a ferry to Hamilton or to St. George. You can take buses to the beaches if you choose not to do the one by the ship. As for the Breakaway, it is a beautiful ship. I was on it for a 12 day this past January, but my son took his honeymoon on it last summer to Bermuda. The pool areas can be crowded, but in May it may not be too bad because the kids will likely still be in school.

I have cruised to Bermuda on NCL Breakaway, Celebrity Summit, and RC Explorer of the Seas.

Anthem would be the newest; its sister Quantum was pretty awesome.

We prefer 7 vs. 5 days so that would remove RC from the list. Summit and Breakaway depart the NYC area and arrive and depart Bermuda on a similar schedule.

I do like Celebrity ships, but not the old ones like Summit. If it was a Solstice class ship, this would be a tough decision for me.

Breakaway to Bermuda was great and we're probably doing it again this season. A lot to do, or nothing if that's what you choose. Yes, the pool area gets crowded.

Either port is easy to cruise from. The terminal in Cape Liberty NJ is finished so you no longer have to shuttle to the ship; you take a gangway like most other ports. The cruise down the Hudson past NYC is always nice but not a reason to leave from NYC vs NJ.

Keep in mind in Bermuda you can't rent a car so you depend on local transportation and its costs. Kings Wharf/Dockyards is at the far west end of the island and pretty much removed from sights of the islands--and the whole island chain is worth exploring. Also, early in May it will be a little chilly. We've gone late May and still found the water chilly. But I'd do it again!

I hope you have fun on whichever ship you choose!

Edited by mizlorinj

"In season" I think is May-October. July, August and September average the warmest of the season according to Bermuda temp averages. Cost of the cruise seems to peak during July and August.

We prefer June; it's warm enough and kids aren't out of school yet. (not that I don't love kids!) :cool:

Edited by mizlorinj

Early May is nice--the weather is usually warm enough to be very pleasant, but the water will still be cool,as others have said. There's less chance of a hurricane hitting in May than in summer/fall (especially Aug.-Oct.). The prices are lower in May, so that's a consideration, as well.

Breakaway is a nice newer ship (we sailed, but personally, it's too large for our tastes).

Would you also consider the Dawn from Boston? The ship is older, less bells and whistles, but laid out nicely.