Cove Balcony vs. Aft-Extended Balcony

NightOne

we had an aft on glory and it was amazing! Can't beat the view and I love laying out in the heat, wasn't too hot back there. I also loved that we were so close to the lido deck, we were on 7, up two flights of stairs. Never take the elevators, I've lost 120lbs in the last year and enjoy being able to climb stairs without dying anymore :p

First of all congratulations on the weight loss! Secondly, do you mind sharing what cabin you had on glory? I want to book an aft but heard some are better than others as far as size and noise. Thank you:)

thanks! we were in 7446, we liked the room, and the location was great. We had a couch, some of the aft balconies just have a chair instead of the couch. The temperature was great too, almost too cold for me lol I liked to leave the balcony door open, loved listening to the ocean.

We've had aft balcony on RC & NCL but not Carnival. We loved the view & little bit of extra balcony space, but we didn't like the lack of privacy. I'm looking forward to our Cove Balcony on Magic next month & based on reviews here I made sure to book 1 away from the galley. I'm excited to see flying fish & Dolphins!

Do Carnival aft balconies get ash from smoke stack like we got on NCL Sky?

Edited by pookeysmom

We were in a cove balcony on the Breeze in January. We then went on the Victory a few days later and had an aft facing balcony.

First time for both.

Absolutely loved the cove. Very private, very close to the water. Never heard any noise from above.

Depending on the time of day, we did have some sun on our balcony.

The aft balcony was also wonderful. We were on deck seven so had afts above and below us. Kind of reminded me of laugh in with people poking their heads out at various times. There were plenty of times when we had shade on the balcony.

The views were amazing and the balcony was quite large.

I would definitely book a cove when available (have one booked on the Vista!!!!). If no cove I would go for the aft facing.

I don't think you can go wrong with either ome.

We are just off the Dream on Sunday and had a Cove Balcony. I loved this balcony better then the higher category balcony cabins. It was very private yet open to both the sea and the sky. It was very peaceful sitting out so close to the water instead of overlooking decks. I could see the sky as well as in one of the upper balconies you are not totally closed in but very private. I would definitely book this cabin again. We were in cabin 2375 which was under the galley and across from the laundry. We had no issues whatsoever with the laundry you could not hear anything, around 3:30 a.m. every morning there was some type of slight noise from above but only lasted about 10 minutes or so not sure what it was sounding like scraping of chairs, the last night there was noise all night long have no idea what that was all about. This would not influence my decision to book this cabin...

Edited by kbe2

thanks! we were in 7446, we liked the room, and the location was great. We had a couch, some of the aft balconies just have a chair instead of the couch.

In 6 mo. we will be on the Dream in 7456. Supposed to have a couch with the 2 beds rolled to one. Did you check out the "neighbors" rooms?

We just spent a week on the Breeze in an aft balcony. Make sure to book Deck 9 unless you don't mind the sun. We had shade (and cover from the rain on the last night) the entire cruise.

We tend to spend more time on the balcony at night or in the evening.

I read that deck 9 aft-extended balconies can be noisy on Dream Class ships because it is directly below the aft pool area. However, have no personal experience with this.

In 6 mo. we will be on the Dream in 7456. Supposed to have a couch with the 2 beds rolled to one. Did you check out the "neighbors" rooms?

I avoided the 2 aft-extended rooms that are closest to the aft-wrap cabins as it seems as if you lose a sofa, coffee table, and closet. For example, 7456 and 7461 on the Dream state:

"Two twin beds (convert to king). Desk and seat. Full bathroom with shower. 2 closets. Private aft-facing extended balcony with patio chairs and table."

whereas 7458 through 7462 and 7463 through 7467 state:

"Two twin beds (convert to king). Sofa and coffee table. Desk and seat. Full bathroom with shower. 3 closets. Private aft-facing extended balcony with patio chairs and table."

at least this is what it shows on the Carnival.com booking engine.

On the Breeze it is 7460 and 7461 that lose the sofa, coffee table, and closet.

Thoughts?

I avoided the 2 aft-extended rooms that are closest to the aft-wrap cabins as it seems as if you lose a sofa, coffee table, and closet. For example, 7456 and 7461 on the Dream state:

"Two twin beds (convert to king). Desk and seat. Full bathroom with shower. 2 closets. Private aft-facing extended balcony with patio chairs and table."

whereas 7458 through 7462 and 7463 through 7467 state:

"Two twin beds (convert to king). Sofa and coffee table. Desk and seat. Full bathroom with shower. 3 closets. Private aft-facing extended balcony with patio chairs and table."

at least this is what it shows on the Carnival.com booking engine.

On the Breeze it is 7460 and 7461 that lose the sofa, coffee table, and closet.

Thoughts?

The cabin right next to the wrap cabins (on each side, so 2 per deck) have balconies that are almost twice as big as the middle ones (a carnival secret that many people do not want shared as you do not pay more for these cabins). The one on deck 9 also has the couch, as they sleep at least 3. I did extensive research on the aft cabins, and seeing I needed one for 3 people know these do have a couch and not just a chair. If you go for an aft and want one of the double sized balconies, go for any of these cabins:

7460, 7461, 8468, 8475, 9477 or 9474 (I am not sure about the ones on deck 6, did not check on those). I know the ones on deck 9 have the couches for sure, as they sleep at least 3. Deck 9 cabins have an overhang, which some people love because they provide shade and privacy. The picture below is of cabin 9477 on the Breeze. If you do not like the overhang, go for the ones on a lower deck.

The balconies of these cabins all can hold 2 lounger chairs lpus 2 regular chairs plus 2 tables PLUS enough space to walk around.

330871402977102.jpg

Edited by Lisichka

The cabin right next to the wrap cabins (on each side, so 2 per deck) have balconies that are almost twice as big as the middle ones (a carnival secret that many people do not want shared as you do not pay more for these cabins). The one on deck 9 also has the couch, as they sleep at least 3. I did extensive research on the aft cabins, and seeing I needed one for 3 people know these do have a couch and not just a chair. If you go for an aft and want one of the double sized balconies, go for any of these cabins:

7460, 7461, 8468, 8475, 9477 or 9474 (I am not sure about the ones on deck 6, did not check on those). I know the ones on deck 9 have the couches for sure, as they sleep at least 3. Deck 9 cabins have an overhang, which some people love because they provide shade and privacy. The picture below is of cabin 9477 on the Breeze. If you do not like the overhang, go for the ones on a lower deck.

The balconies of these cabins all can hold 2 lounger chairs lpus 2 regular chairs plus 2 tables PLUS enough space to walk around.

This thread is older but has pics of the cabins and a discussion about this:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1152902

Also, I am guessing you are referring to Breeze numbers as the Dream ones are different. :(

Just checked this again and the lack of sofa on the ones next to the wraps only appears to be an issue on deck 7 and not 6,8, or 9. (not sure why)

This thread is older but has pics of the cabins and a discussion about this:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1152902

Also, I am guessing you are referring to Breeze numbers as the Dream ones are different. :(

The Dream's numbers may be different, but it is the same concept. Choose the cabin next to the wrap, and you are good to go. There are actually a lot of threads and discussions on these cabins, and what made me decide to go for one of these. :D

The Dream's numbers may be different, but it is the same concept. Choose the cabin next to the wrap, and you are good to go. There are actually a lot of threads and discussions on these cabins, and what made me decide to go for one of these. :D

Oh I hear you :) , but I want to be on deck 7 and I think those are an exception for some reason. :)

DW and I had a corner aft on the Serenade for our first cruise. Love it! But - we are leaning towards a cove balcony on the Dream for two reasons:

1. Closer to the water. Loved watching the wake, but this would get us closer to what attracts us to cruising - the ocean!

2. Price. We can budget more money towards excursions and shopping. Compared to our aft balcony on the Serenade, we will be spending about $600-$700 less. Maybe we can cruise more often :-)

And Nightone is right - you'll never know until you try it!

We tend to spend more time on the balcony at night or in the evening.

I read that deck 9 aft-extended balconies can be noisy on Dream Class ships because it is directly below the aft pool area. However, have no personal experience with this.

The noise was minimal. I only heard noise when they hastily moved furniture during the rain storm

330871402977102.jpg

LOVING this thread. DH and I have an Aft- balcony for Alaska 2016 and it is right next to the wrap around suite on Deck 7 (Carnival Legend). Is this little secret you speak of (LARGER BALCONIES) true for older non-dream class ships too?

Also, where are the additional threads you speak of?

Thanks!

Pretty certain that the classes of ships (Dream, Conquest, Fantasy, etc.) are all slightly different in the regard. For example, as I understand it the Conquest class does not have a Lanai deck that blocks the view straight down to the water like the Dream class does.

• 9 months later...

We had an aft extended view on our last cruise and the view was unbeatable but there was no breeze ever. You couldn't sit outside without breaking a sweat because there was never any shade either.

Do the cove balconies get a breeze or just have less sun in general because of the lifeboats overhead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We stayed in a cove on the Breeze a few months ago. Personally, we prefer a balcony higher up. (On dream class it'd have to be aft though as I don't want to overlook the promenade)

The best part of a cove was being on a low deck coming back from ports- just a quick dash up the stairs. We didn't like being so far from everything else. We also missed being in the sun while on the balcony. It seemed dark.

Edited by Jenhem31

We had an aft extended view on our last cruise and the view was unbeatable but there was no breeze ever. You couldn't sit outside without breaking a sweat because there was never any shade either.

Do the cove balconies get a breeze or just have less sun in general because of the lifeboats overhead?

We were in a cove on the Dream, it was never uncomfortable on the balcony and there was somewhat of a breeze. I would much rather be in a cove than the other balconies that look out over the decks and sveryone can see in.

I'll book a cove on every single ship that has one after last summer's Breeze experience.

We loved chatting with the folks heading back onto the ship in port and being so close to the action while cruising!