Question: Unable to Add a Guest Due to Maximum Capacity

Kobayashi

I booked a sailing as a solo cruiser in a balcony cabin. I may have someone that wants to go and would add them to the booking in my room. The cabin typically sleeps two. I spoke with my PVP and she informed me if the ship is at maximum capacity I actually may not be able to add them. Wouldn't a second person in my cabin count towards that capacity and the ship would be one person short? This sailing still has cabins available based on a mock booking so I'm not worried. I'm more curious about this topic than anything. Thanks!

I booked a sailing as a solo cruiser in a balcony cabin. I may have someone that wants to go and would add them to the booking in my room. The cabin typically sleeps two. I spoke with my PVP and she informed me if the ship is at maximum capacity I actually may not be able to add them. Wouldn't a second person in my cabin count towards that capacity and the ship would be one person short? This sailing still has cabins available based on a mock booking so I'm not worried. I'm more curious about this topic than anything. Thanks!

It sort of depends on how far out the booking is. Maximum capacity is based on lifeboat capacity. There are more total berths available than seats in the boats. This allows the ship to provide a variety of cabin categories with 3rd/4th guest capability. They try to sell all cabins first with 1st/2nd berths full (normal capacity, or double occupancy). They will also sell 3/4 person berths as allowed, until the ship gets close to maximum capacity. They will then restrict 3/4 passenger bookings until every cabin is at double occupancy. They make more money on 1/2 occupancy than 3/4 passenger, so they will want to have a party of 4 book two cabins.

Now, in your case, you booked a double cabin as a single. They were then able to sell a 3rd guest in a cabin due to the loss of the second passenger in your cabin. So, if you are close to sailing, they have sold enough 3rd/4th guest spaces to keep you from filling what would be a normal double occupancy. Its a little complicated, but if you cancelled and did a new booking for the two of you, it would work, as that would be double occupancy in a new cabin. They would not sell your old cabin as anything other than a single until very close to sailing, and a 3rd/4th guest cancelled.

It sort of depends on how far out the booking is. Maximum capacity is based on lifeboat capacity. There are more total berths available than seats in the boats. This allows the ship to provide a variety of cabin categories with 3rd/4th guest capability. They try to sell all cabins first with 1st/2nd berths full (normal capacity, or double occupancy). They will also sell 3/4 person berths as allowed, until the ship gets close to maximum capacity. They will then restrict 3/4 passenger bookings until every cabin is at double occupancy. They make more money on 1/2 occupancy than 3/4 passenger, so they will want to have a party of 4 book two cabins.

Now, in your case, you booked a double cabin as a single. They were then able to sell a 3rd guest in a cabin due to the loss of the second passenger in your cabin. So, if you are close to sailing, they have sold enough 3rd/4th guest spaces to keep you from filling what would be a normal double occupancy. Its a little complicated, but if you cancelled and did a new booking for the two of you, it would work, as that would be double occupancy in a new cabin. They would not sell your old cabin as anything other than a single until very close to sailing, and a 3rd/4th guest cancelled.

Solid answer! Thank you for your feedback. I've read your other posts about sailing in general and appreciate the knowledge you have to share. Much appreciated!

Kobayashi... You are taking too many cruises back to back! :p

Ok, I'm just jealous that my last one was on the Miracle the week before you went on yours (I don't know if you recall, but I was on the sailing the missed porting in PV and I clarified why on a post that was discussing it)

wow in reading these boards for over 7 years that is the first time I think I have seen this question....

it was worded perfectly and answered perfectly

This is the reason why I keep coming back here.....

Although the one answer is good, and it makes sense it is wrong.

At capacity means they are no longer selling ANY rooms period. So if you went to the cruise, and started a mock booking, and it lets you book a double room, than it is not at capacity.

So the question is what to do if this was to happen?

At capacity means they are no longer selling ANY rooms period. So if you went to the cruise, and started a mock booking, and it lets you book a double room, than it is not at capacity.

No, it is not sold at capacity, as I said. They have stopped taking 3rd/4th bookings in order to fill all cabins at 1st/2nd. They do this because the goal is to fill all cabins at double occupancy as the 1st/2nd guests pay more than 3rd/4th. Since the OP's cabin is already sold as a single, the second guest in that cabin has been used to sell a 3rd guest in another cabin.

Look at it this way. The ship has a double occupancy of 3000, a life boat (maximum capacity) of 3500, and total beds of 3700. They can sell 500 3rd/4th guests. Now, if they have sold 500 3rd/4th, guests, even if they have not filled the 3000 double occupancy cabins, they will stop allowing bookings for 3rd/4th guest, though you could book 2 into an extra cabin but not as 3rd/4th in a cabin. As I said, since the OP's cabin is booked as single, they used that extra berth to allow someone to book a 3rd in their cabin. Now that he wants to book a second into that cabin, they won't allow it, but they will allow the OP's friend to book a cabin as single, or the OP and friend to cancel the single and rebook two to a different cabin. However, if they do that, the OP's original cabin would still be only available as a single.

The cruise may still not sail at maximum capacity, if they don't sell all cabins as double occupancy. But they would still not allow any 3rd/4th guests or adding to a single, until right before (the day before) sailing. They will try to hang on to capacity to fill all cabins right up to the end. As I told the OP, if he is still in the cancellation period, he needs to cancel his booking and book the two of them in a new cabin.

Edited by chengkp75

If one starts a mock booking for double occupancy and it lets you, the cabin you chose might be in an area where the lifeboat still has room for you.

Look at it this way. The ship has a double occupancy of 3000, a life boat (maximum capacity) of 3500, and total beds of 3700. They can sell 500 3rd/4th guests. Now, if they have sold 500 3rd/4th, guests, even if they have not filled the 3000 double occupancy cabins, they will stop allowing bookings for 3rd/4th guest, though you could book 2 into an extra cabin but not as 3rd/4th in a cabin. As I said, since the OP's cabin is booked as single, they used that extra berth to allow someone to book a 3rd in their cabin. Now that he wants to book a second into that cabin, they won't allow it, but they will allow the OP's friend to book a cabin as single, or the OP and friend to cancel the single and rebook two to a different cabin. However, if they do that, the OP's original cabin would still be only available as a single.

The cruise may still not sail at maximum capacity, if they don't sell all cabins as double occupancy. But they would still not allow any 3rd/4th guests or adding to a single, until right before (the day before) sailing. They will try to hang on to capacity to fill all cabins right up to the end. As I told the OP, if he is still in the cancellation period, he needs to cancel his booking and book the two of them in a new cabin.

Right, except based on what you said, it means the poster would have to cancel and re-book, which is not at max capacity, because they just let you book. However, when you cancel and re-book, you do not get the same rate. Personally, it sounds more like a scam to get more money.

Should Carnival, or any cruise line tell one person, they can't book because they are maxed out while a person on the other line is handing over their credit card number? It would seem, that the Carnival Rep should do a little digging, and get this person booked without jumping through hoops.

Edited by Havingfun2010

Right, except based on what you said, it means the poster would have to cancel and re-book, which is not at max capacity, because they just let you book. However, when you cancel and re-book, you do not get the same rate. Personally, it sounds more like a scam to get more money.

Should Carnival, or any cruise line tell one person, they can't book because they are maxed out while a person on the other line is handing over their credit card number? It would seem, that the Carnival Rep should do a little digging, and get this person booked without jumping through hoops.

Here is the quote from the OP's post:

"I spoke with my PVP and she informed me if the ship is at maximum capacity I actually may not be able to add them. Wouldn't a second person in my cabin count towards that capacity and the ship would be one person short?"

Note that the PVP said "if the ship is at maximum capacity" he could not add someone. No one said the ship was at maximum capacity.

Next, the OP asked why an empty 2nd passenger wouldn't keep the ship from being at "maximum capacity". My explanation was that if that particular cruise had sold enough 3rd/4th passengers, why they would not allow the OP to add another 2nd passenger to the booking.

It is well documented that all cruise lines will stop allowing 3rd/4th bookings while cabins are still available. There is nothing "scam" about the company trying to maximize their revenue by forcing additional guests to book cabins as 1st/2nd rather than leave a cabin empty and allow 3rd/4th to book for less money.

If the ship were at maximum 3rd/4th guests, and the company allowed the OP to add a second passenger, then they would have to restrict another cabin to a single.

It could also be a life boat issue in the area that would serve the OP.

OP, did the PVP offer any other cabins anywhere on the ship that you could move to with your friend or did she just say that you couldn't add at her all?

It could also be a life boat issue in the area that would serve the OP.

OP, did the PVP offer any other cabins anywhere on the ship that you could move to with your friend or did she just say that you couldn't add at her all?

Again, it was a conditional statement, that if the ship was at capacity, he might not be allowed to add the booking. And I am not aware that overcapacity in any one muster station would preclude a particular booking. It would first off depend on what type of muster locations are used, and in my experience, these can be juggled slightly on a cruise by cruise basis if too many 3rd/4th guests are in a particular cabin category in relation to others.

Again, it was a conditional statement, that if the ship was at capacity, he might not be allowed to add the booking.

Chengkp75 is correct. I based my post on what would happen if. My PVP informed me that the booking I wanted may not be possible if the ship was at maximum capacity - we are three weeks away, so she checked for me. I then posted this thread as I was unfamiliar with this issue which Chengkp75 has answered my question. Thanks again! I do enjoy reading the posts in this thread as it's very informative.