Fascination with kids

Thanks in advance for checking out my post everyone. I'm hoping to get some thoughts, recommendations, or even hear some of your past experiences.

My wife and I are looking at taking our kids (ages 5 & 3, both boys) on their first cruise later this year. At the moment, a cruise on the Fascination out of Jacksonville in October is the leader in the clubhouse. I do have few questions and was hoping a few of you guys could help us out.

First, do any of you have any past experiences sailing with kids that age? If so, was it good or bad?

Two, is there enough on board activities to keep kids that age occupied? I'm a little concerned they may get bored. My wife is not quite as concerned.

Three, what's it like getting off the ship in Freeport and Nassau with kids?

Four, what room would you recommend?

Again, thanks in advance. Also sorry if this has been brought up before. I searched around but couldn't really find what I was looking for.

DD

Hello! We are in the same boat! Ha! :) Our first KID cruise but I will tell you my thoughts and the research I have done.... Excited but nervous as well!!! I would recommend you get at minimum an OV cabin. You can get the 2 drop down beds & of course you'll have the bed for you and the wife. The inside room will probably feel too claustrophobic with 4 of you guys....especially a toddler. I have an almost 3 year old so understand! I hear the camps are fabulous... Recommend sending them to camp a few hours a day.... Well, hopefully your kids (and mine) will enjoy camp. They have art, music, story time, movies, etc.... I am not sure if your boat has a splash pad area for the kids and/or waterslides?? There are a few excursions to get with the young kids but you'll have to research and see what's best for your family... We are leaning probably towards the beach route.... He'll be 3.5 when we cruise....I too and worried there won't be enough activities but I think camp & pool time is probably going to be what you'll be doing the most of.....

Hi and Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

Maybe someone who has cruised on Carnival with children will know if it's possible to sign up for the Kid's Club thing BEFORE the cruise. If so, please do.

We met a nice family with three children (4, 8,9) while boarding Fascination.

The next day, there was a long line filling out the forms to get each child admitted for their kids programs.

The wife who was in line with the 4 year old saw us and asked us to please hold her place in line while she took her little boy to the bathroom. She had already been waiting in line for a long time. :o

We'd run into them fairly often on the ship and the children all seemed to be having a great time. :)

LuLu

Thanks in advance for checking out my post everyone. I'm hoping to get some thoughts, recommendations, or even hear some of your past experiences.

My wife and I are looking at taking our kids (ages 5 & 3, both boys) on their first cruise later this year. At the moment, a cruise on the Fascination out of Jacksonville in October is the leader in the clubhouse. I do have few questions and was hoping a few of you guys could help us out.

First, do any of you have any past experiences sailing with kids that age? If so, was it good or bad?

Two, is there enough on board activities to keep kids that age occupied? I'm a little concerned they may get bored. My wife is not quite as concerned.

Three, what's it like getting off the ship in Freeport and Nassau with kids?

Four, what room would you recommend?

Again, thanks in advance. Also sorry if this has been brought up before. I searched around but couldn't really find what I was looking for.

DD

(1)I would say that sailing with kids those ages is going to be quite a challenge in someways but not at all in others. It all depends on how you expose them to things and get them used to it and also how to get them excited about going.

(2) Camp Carnival Is good with the younger cruisers because you can drop them off in the morning and pick them up at dinner time, but if you want to look for more family time, there's a pool and a splash park for all of you, and if either of your sons are 42'' or taller, then there are a few waterslides they can ride.

(3)Disembarking with children is easy as long as you have the proper paperwork and documentation. After you get off, there are usually a lot of people so make sure that they learn to stay close by to you so they don't get lost.

(4) I would recommend either a Port Hole, Oceanview, or Balcony room when booking because they each have a lovely view into the ocean blue and they are really relaxing too. If you are concerned about the railing on the balcony, it is about 40''-48'' in height and there is a glass wall to prevent them from falling over board.

(5) Have Fun! The fascination is my favorite cruise that we have taken and there is so much to do! I'm so glad my baby is going down to San Juan so maybe i'll do a week aboard her then!

Hi and Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

Maybe someone who has cruised on Carnival with children will know if it's possible to sign up for the Kid's Club thing BEFORE the cruise. If so, please do.

We met a nice family with three children (4, 8,9) while boarding Fascination.

The next day, there was a long line filling out the forms to get each child admitted for their kids programs.

The wife who was in line with the 4 year old saw us and asked us to please hold her place in line while she took her little boy to the bathroom. She had already been waiting in line for a long time. :o

We'd run into them fairly often on the ship and the children all seemed to be having a great time. :)

LuLu

After I booked our families cruise on the Sunshine for this October I was able to sign my kids up for camp carnival through my manage my booking on carnivals website. I would assume you could do this for all ships.

We are taking our 3&5yo kids on fascination in may.

In cabins - I snagged 2 connecting interior rooms for only slightly more $$ than a balcony. I'm excited about this -- somewhere for an adult to hang out while a kid sleeps, an easy way to separate bickering kids, and two bathrooms!! To find the connecting rooms, I called carnival. Their website was a pain for this.

I'm also happy that, at 3 and 5, they will be in same group at camp. If we can convenience nice them to go.

On ports, in nassau I am thinking we will do a day pass at melia. Maybe check out the zoo or such, but I expect it to be very hot. Or stay on the boat. Atlantis would be awesome but my kids are too short for the slides.

In Freeport, we will probably get a day pass for grand lucayan. Again, pools and beach.

Edited by elizardbethday

I have cruised this class ship, including the Fascination, many times. Most of these cruises were with my sons, at varying ages at time of cruising. I would highly recommend OV cabin, and connecting rooms if at all possible. If not, then go higher in the ship and closer to activities. If on Empress deck, choose AFT or Forward, because closer to midship, you will hear Atrium noises at nap times or bedtimes. Bring a fan or noise maker for sleeping easier. I didn't enjoy my balcony room when the kids were smaller. I was too nervous leaving the door open or them out there. Definitely take them to Camp Carnival. It's not necessary to sign them up on the first day, if the line is too long. You can go at any time, at least you could when ours were young. I enjoyed the first day with my kids, sitting near the waterworks area, watching them play. Embarkation day was pretty empty back there, and they got to use the slides freely. The waterworks area does not empty into the pool, so was safe for the smaller ones. We did early dining, so we could watch the shows later in the evening. Also, IF our younger ones wanted to eat with us, the timing was better. When in Nassau, our younger ALWAYS enjoyed the zoo. We would debark early, catch a cab to the zoo, and be back on the ship enjoying the waterworks area during the heat of the day. I personally would choose a cruise on the Fascination that visits Half Moon Cay versus Freeport. In HMC, I would rent a Cabana and have an entire day on a beautiful beach, complete with nap area, showers, AC, fruit and water - plenty of shade! I have never gone to Freeport with little ones. I personally don't like Freeport. If you have an questions, please feel free to ask. I hope this helps!

We traveled on the Fascination with friends who brought their (at the time) 4- year old. He absolutely loved the boat. He enjoyed Camp Carnival and actually wanted to be there more than they allowed for him to be. He also enjoyed the dining room experience as our server worked hard to treat him just like on of the "big guys".

Ports- Nassau tends to be very crowded, especially the straw market. When we were there last month we walked to the old water tower. On the way there are plenty of government buildings and other things to see. It was a nice walk and I think your kids would enjoy it. There is a small fort at the water tower you can visit for like $2 each. The other nice part about it is that it is elevated and you get a great vantage point of the entire island from there.

Freeport doesn't have too much to offer within walking distance except for a few shops and restaurants. You have to take a bus or cab (or book an excursion) away from the port area to get to things that kids would enjoy. Or, you could walk around the port to experience a little bit of what it does have and then get back on a much less crowded ship and enjoy the pools alone!