Miami Beach or South Beach

kunwerj

I am getting good rates on cpl of motels in South Beach and Miami Beach . The one in Miami Beach is beach-front with free breakfast, while the one in South Beach is a block fr the beach, with no breakfast. The Miami Beach one looks tempting, but I want to be able to visit South Beach also (we will be there for 1 day before our cruise on November 27). Anybody has any idea, how far is Miami Beach fr South Beach (we do not know the exact loaction in Miami Beach, since its a hotwire deal), and what r our options to get there (walking, cab, bus etc.)

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Well South Beach IS Miami Beach... But Miami Beach is long and if the Miami Beach hotel is on the northern end of the city it's a longish and pricey cab ride down to "South Beach" (South Beach is the southern end of Miami Beach). "South Beach" is closest to the Port of Miami, and there are many many restaurants, shops, clubs, etc. within walking distance of most "South Beach" hotels.

The problem with the name "South Beach" is many hotels not really IN South Beach call themselves "South Beach", but they're really a long walk to the real South Beach. If you look at a map you don't really want to stay much north of Lincoln Road Mall if you want to be able to walk to the best of "South Beach". The heart of "South Beach" is roughly between 5th & 15th Streets along Ocean Drive, Collins & Washington Avenues.

Thanks Trent. I had already paid for the hotwire hotel. And it turns out it is in North Miami beach (abt 5 miles fr South Beach). I was really disappointed, but I guess we will just take a cab or the bus, or maybe end up renting a car for the day.

I got Days Inn in North Miami Beach (it said Miami Beach only before I paid up, but after the payment it said North Miami beach), for 26 November for 46 dollars per night, plus taxes. The symbols were for beach front, a pool and a restaurant. The hotel seems nice and the rate includes a free breakfast. So I think its a decent deal, except that my heart was set on staying either in or close to South Beach, so when I ended up 5 miles fr South Beach I was disappointed. Oh well, u live and learn.

I think you mean "North Beach" as North Miami Beach is a separate city that's actually not even on the beach, and doesn't have a Days Inn.

I'm assuming you mean this one... http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34439-d85114-Reviews-Miami_Beach_Days_Inn_North_Beach-Miami_Beach_Florida.html

I haven't been inside that one, but for $46 on the beach I hope you don't expect much. The reviews are not good. :eek: In all honesty for a nice hotel on South Beach in the winter/spring you'll have to almost put a zero on the nightly rate you're getting.

Doesnt look good. I am hoping, its not as bad as described in Trip Advisor. Looks like Hotwire got me good. I still have a cpl of months to decide, maybe I will just book another hotel and sacrifice the money spent on this one.

Yeah, I'd take the loss and move on... Keep in mind that nice, decent, yet still average/mainstream South Beach hotels have rack rates of well over $200 per night in November... And those same hotels are well over $400 per night in the winter/spring.

Keep in mind that the nicer South Beach hotels have been gutted and completely rebuilt, but many have not gone that far. The cheaper ones are for the most part still old and rather nasty inside.

I'm sure there are other decent places for a similar price, but of the South Beach hotels that I personally know to be nice, and in a great location where you can easily walk to everything, the cheapest for your date is the Courtyard on Washington Avenue at $209... http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/MIACB

Trip Advisor... http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34439-d224008-Reviews-Courtyard_Miami_Beach_South_Beach-Miami_Beach_Florida.html

TRENTS - question for you.....

Have you ever heard anything about the NATIONAL HOTEL or the SOUTH SEAS HOTEL? We are trying to find some place to stay in South Beach for our post cruise 10/16/05.

Reviews on Expedia didn't sound to bad...but it is always nice to get a personal opinion.

Archived