Buying a FCC onboard

Warm Breezes

I would like some confirmation on information I was reading on another thread (I didn't want to hijack it :D). We are cruising in a couple weeks on CCL Splendor. We are in the stages of planning a cruise in December with the family and possibly a friend of DD's which would mean 2 rooms. Because of DH's newly revised vacation policy, we are unable to confirm at this time that he can get one of days off he needs. From what I read we can book 1 room for DH and myself at the lowest rate not ES and get the FCC with OBC and get a Friends and Family coupon that will give us another OBC for the other room. By not booking ES we can cancel, without penalty, if DH can't get his day off and rebook next year if we have too to get the OBC...or if he gets the day off, we can switch to ES, book the other room, and get OBC for both rooms. Can someone please confirm if this is correct?

Edited by Warm Breezes

I would like some confirmation on information I was reading on another thread (I didn't want to hijack it :D). We are cruising in a couple weeks on CCL Splendor. We are in the stages of planning a cruise in December with the family and possibly a friend of DD's which would mean 2 rooms. Because of DH's newly revised vacation policy, we are unable to confirm at this time that he can get one of days off he needs. From what I read we can book 1 room for DH and myself at the lowest rate not ES and get the FCC with OBC and get a Friends and Family coupon that will give us another OBC for the other room. By not booking ES we can cancel, without penalty, if DH can't get his day off and rebook next year if we have too to get the OBC...or if he gets the day off, we can switch to ES, book the other room, and get OBC for both rooms. Can someone please confirm if this is correct?

Essentially yes. The FCC (future cruise certificate) which in the past was a held open deposit is no longer available. With booking an actual cruise, you get 2 friend and family certificates which get the same OBC. You can switch to ES anytime it is still offered.

Essentially yes. The FCC (future cruise certificate) which in the past was a held open deposit is no longer available. With booking an actual cruise, you get 2 friend and family certificates which get the same OBC. You can switch to ES anytime it is still offered.

Thank you. My DH was against getting the FCC on this cruise since our plans are not set. However, if we can use the system to make it work to our advantage, whether our plans are set or not, then I think I will need to convince him otherwise.

Edited by Warm Breezes

Thank you. My DH was against getting the FCC on this cruise since our plans are not set. However, if we can use the system to make it work to our advantage, whether our plans are set or not, then I think I will need to convince him otherwise.

Keep in mind because this happened to us. You must use the basic package we used one that had additional OBC $300 and it was such that it we changed to ES we lost it. So beware of specials, when we used the $200 normal OBC one we were able to change to ES. We also can't confirm vacation until the 1st of the year.

The first thing I did was check the date of the OP. Future Cruise Certificates (FCC) ended in Sept of 2012. What you can do is book your December cruise while on your Splendor cruise. You may book whatever rate you choose but since you are not sure you would want to avoid early saver. You will receive OBC based on the length of the cruise you book. 3-5 day/ $50, 6 day/$75, 7-11day/$100, 12 or more days/$200. You will be issued two Friends and Family Vouchers that are good for 60 day from the date you booked . This is the big difference FCC were good for two years. F&F are good for 60 days only. Your voucher can be given to someone that books the same ship, same cruise and they will receive like OBC. So your SIL has until mid June to use the F&F based on your comment that you cruise in a couple of weeks.

As a disclaimer FCC were fully refundable and cost $100 for a $200 benefit.

F&F do not cost but only benefit others.

Keep in mind because this happened to us. You must use the basic package we used one that had additional OBC $300 and it was such that it we changed to ES we lost it. So beware of specials, when we used the $200 normal OBC one we were able to change to ES. We also can't confirm vacation until the 1st of the year.

Thanks for the tip.

The first thing I did was check the date of the OP. Future Cruise Certificates (FCC) ended in Sept of 2012. What you can do is book your December cruise while on your Splendor cruise. You may book whatever rate you choose but since you are not sure you would want to avoid early saver. You will receive OBC based on the length of the cruise you book. 3-5 day/ $50, 6 day/$75, 7-11day/$100, 12 or more days/$200. You will be issued two Friends and Family Vouchers that are good for 60 day from the date you booked . This is the big difference FCC were good for two years. F&F are good for 60 days only. Your voucher can be given to someone that books the same ship, same cruise and they will receive like OBC. So your SIL has until mid June to use the F&F based on your comment that you cruise in a couple of weeks.

As a disclaimer FCC were fully refundable and cost $100 for a $200 benefit.

F&F do not cost but only benefit others.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know about the 60 day limit. We may have to book them with a non ES room too in that time period and cancel later if we have to. We are looking at the same ship same sailing since it will be our kids and DD's BFF (possibly) with us. It is nice to know that it is refundable too.

Edited by Warm Breezes

Maybe I'm just too much of a noob.... Op... Dh...dd...fcc... Obc... Es... Fcc... Wow this post is hard to read and understand for me... Lol

OP...Original Post or Poster

DH...Dear Husband

DD...Dear Daughter

FCC...Future Cruise Credit

OBC....On Board Credit

ES...Early Saver

Hope this helps :D. FWIW it took me a minute to figure out noob :p.

Whatever the deposit is at the time you book. Keep in mind if you can book with a reduced deposit and then change plans you will have to pay whatever deposit is required. EX; We booked a cruise for Dec, then 3 days later needed to change to FEB. Went from 1/2 off regular deposit to having to pay the full deposit.

Ok can someone explain to me why you would NOT book ES for this program? I bought FCCs in the past. So booking onboard is new to me.

Because when you switch ship / date, Carnival will keep $50 per person as a penalty if you're booked Early Saver.

A couple separate questions

1. When you book on board with a normal fare (not ES), is there any difficulty changing your booking to another cruise or canceling it all together anytime before the final payment date? For example, if I'm on-board and book a cruise for sometime in 2017, can I switch the booking and my OBC to another cruise? Any limit to when I have to take that cruise? What about changing passengers?

2. Even without the ES rate, can't you get a price drop any time until final payment?

3. If #2 is true, then what is the benefit of the ES rate other than possibly catching price drops in the last couple months? When I looked at a trip over a year out just for curiousity, the ES was only $20 less which would get annihilated if you change.

can anyone tell me how much deposit you have to pay when booking on board ?

Swampbaby answered you above...the deposit will vary depending on the rate you book under. It would be the same deposit you would pay for that rate if you booked on-line or with a TA. There is no difference in deposit between booking onboard or not.

A couple separate questions

1. When you book on board with a normal fare (not ES), is there any difficulty changing your booking to another cruise or canceling it all together anytime before the final payment date? For example, if I'm on-board and book a cruise for sometime in 2017, can I switch the booking and my OBC to another cruise? Any limit to when I have to take that cruise? What about changing passengers?

2. Even without the ES rate, can't you get a price drop any time until final payment?

3. If #2 is true, then what is the benefit of the ES rate other than possibly catching price drops in the last couple months? When I looked at a trip over a year out just for curiousity, the ES was only $20 less which would get annihilated if you change.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong...

1. You can cancel or change sailings/ships on non-ES rates anytime before final payment and keep, transfer, or cancel your OBC for a refund.

2. Yes.

3. The benefit is if you have definite plans, you can take advantage of drops after final payment without any penalties. If you think your plans may change then it is not worth it.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong...

1. You can cancel or change sailings/ships on non-ES rates anytime before final payment and keep, transfer, or cancel your OBC for a refund.

2. Yes.

3. The benefit is if you have definite plans, you can take advantage of drops after final payment without any penalties. If you think your plans may change then it is not worth it.

Thank you!! It's important to understand exactly what you are comparing!!

Not sure if I have bad information or what, but I don't see the benefit of booking onboard the ship.

The OBC seems relatively small for the risk you take if you end up needing to cancel.

Does anyone have the fine print? I though I saw its only $50 OBC on sailngs up to 6 or 7 days???

Not sure if I have bad information or what, but I don't see the benefit of booking onboard the ship.

The OBC seems relatively small for the risk you take if you end up needing to cancel.

Does anyone have the fine print? I though I saw its only $50 OBC on sailngs up to 6 or 7 days???

7 days is $100 OBC. It used to be 6 days was $75 but I believe they changed it. Or maybe that was stockholder OBC. Plus you get 2 certificates for friends & family. So if you are sure you will cruise again with Carnival its not a bad deal.

It is a $50 OBC for a 5 day cruise, 6 is $75, 7 is $100.

Being I frequently don't pay more than $1000 total for 2, the "10%" back is well worth it for me.

There is NO risk with canceling most rates, with the exception of Early Saver.