Changing Carnival Air at Check-In

Killian

We are sailing on Carnival out of Vancouver in a couple of weeks. We purchased Carnival air and were assigned a NWA flight from Detroit to Seattle. We then go through a 1.5 hour layover and then we take a puddle jumper to Vancouver. I have recently noticed that there is a nearly empty direct flight from Detroit to Vancouver that leaves one half hour earlier. Sounds much better! Can anyone give me an idea on what options I have? When I check in can I request to be moved to that direct flight? Would it have to be standby or could I get confirmed seats?

Thanks!

NW has something called "Flynow" which for $25, will confirm you on a different flight on the day you are booked, subject to space availability. You have to do this when you check in. You can also go on standby for an earlier flight for free. It did say on their site this was for domestic flights, so you should call them to see if they will allow this for a transborder flight.

DanJ's suggestions are certainly worth trying. However, you have Carnival air and you are probably not eligible for the $25.00 day of flight change fee. You may find someone at check-in who will change it for you, but if you mention you purchased the air through the cruise line, forget it.

I would try to go standby on the earlier flight. NW may allow this. You were not booked by Carnival on the non-stop, as those are generally more expensive flights. The cruiselines contract with the airlines states that they will fly the LEAST expensive way (unless you pay for custom air)-has a lot to do with yield managment, how many discount tickets are left on certain routes, etc. etc. etc. If that means the puddle jumper, so be it. Good luck but don't hold your breath about getting on the non-stop.

Another suggestion, although this one may cost you. Call Carnival and see if, at this late date, you can get your air changed. A nice phone call (and some dollars) may get you on the non-stop, especially if the plane is not full.

Another reason not to book cruise air. Layovers, inconvenient flights and puddle jumpers.

The bottom line is you only have to ask. You won't be any worse off than you are now. If the earlier flight is showing lots of empty seats, they will let you pay another 25 bucks to go on it. If they have the choice to give the seats to someone on standby, or someone else with money in their hands, I think the money takes it. Then they can give your original seats to someone else on standby. Provided, like I said earlier, the transborder flight is not an issue.

Thanks everyone for the information! In the past I have always booked my own airfare, but there was no way I could even come close to Carnival's price. One way to Vancouver and one way back from Honolulu was quite a bit more on my own. I was hoping for that direct flight but regardless with your suggestions I may be able to work my way on it. Thanks again!

Archived