Cheers Question Out of Galveston

EMBFlyer

I know you can't purchase the Cheers program until Day 2 on cruises out of Galveston. I was wondering how that worked with unlimited sodas. My wife and I were planning on purchasing it on our upcoming Magic cruise, but she's a big soda drinker and wants to partake on Day 1. Is there a way to make that work or am I just out of luck and have to buy sodas on Day 1?

I know you can't purchase the Cheers program until Day 2 on cruises out of Galveston. I was wondering how that worked with unlimited sodas. My wife and I were planning on purchasing it on our upcoming Magic cruise, but she's a big soda drinker and wants to partake on Day 1. Is there a way to make that work or am I just out of luck and have to buy sodas on Day 1?

Do you want both the alcohol and soda package (CHEERS)? If so, you will have to wait until Day 2. There is no choice. If your wife is a big soda drinker and not much of an alcohol drinker you can purchase just the soda package (Bottomless Bubbles) on Day 1.

Do you want both the alcohol and soda package (CHEERS)? If so, you will have to wait until Day 2. There is no choice. If your wife is a big soda drinker and not much of an alcohol drinker you can purchase just the soda package (Bottomless Bubbles) on Day 1.

I know I can do that, but if I want to purchase the Cheers program on Day 2, then we both have to purchase it, then. I don't want to have to pay for the Bottomless Bubbles on Day 1 and then Cheers on Day 2.

Don't forget, you can bring a 12-pack each of sodas with you when you board. Might be a PIA to go back to cabin for sodas for the first day, but she could carry some in a tote bag and add to a tumbler of ice to minimize trips. :D

I still wonder why Carnival does this? Recently sailed with NCL out of Houston and was able to use their version of Cheers the first day.

we did jewel out of houston too, had the free UBP, were able to use it the whole time while in texas waters, although we had to pay port taxes and fees on it (Which were like 10 cents a drink) I think we were out of texas waters by 7 or 8

And I wouldnt understand how galveston would be any different than houston, its the same WATER and same port fees and taxes...

we did jewel out of houston too, had the free UBP, were able to use it the whole time while in texas waters, although we had to pay port taxes and fees on it (Which were like 10 cents a drink) I think we were out of texas waters by 7 or 8

And I wouldnt understand how galveston would be any different than houston, its the same WATER and same port fees and taxes...

It probably has more to do with Texas liquor laws and what different ships are willing to do. All alcohol sold by bars in Texas must be poured from a bottle with a TABC tax sticker. The bottles must be bought in Texas through a distributor in order to have the sticker. Getting caught selling alcohol from a bottle without a sticker results in fines and possible loss of permits.

Now I haven't asked but I would speculate that Carnival has a limited amount of liquor that falls into the cheaper well category that would have the stickers that they can sell from until they are in International waters. Once there, they could switch out the bottles and start selling the premium liquors. For example, you could probably get a rum and coke but not a Bacardi and coke until in international waters. Now that wouldn't prevent them from selling the Cheers package on the first day but since they are probably offering a limited selection, they may just be opting to wait until all choices are available. It's also possible Carnival makes more money by not selling Cheers on day 1 since all alcohol on day 1 is paid for individually.

Again this is all speculation on my part based on my personal experience from working as a bartender in Texas for a few years.