Cellphones on Alaska Cruise

mush71

I tired to search this question but nothing has popped up it is just hanging up. I know from past cruises that I have lost cell service about 20 minutes into the cruise. Those were cruises to the Caribbean.

This time we are going to Alaska. I know when we get off the ship we will have cell service but will we have it once we leave Seattle?

Land based cell towers only reach so far.

And, even if near land, if there is little to no civilization, there are no towers. So, no towers, no signal. Just like Caribbean. Same deal.

BUT - the ship has a tower that is turned on most of the time at sea. $2.49 per minute.

I tired to search this question but nothing has popped up it is just hanging up. I know from past cruises that I have lost cell service about 20 minutes into the cruise. Those were cruises to the Caribbean.

This time we are going to Alaska. I know when we get off the ship we will have cell service but will we have it once we leave Seattle?

For me no for the most part. That was a couple year ago.

all depends on the port of call, Juneau extends farther out than the smaller ports, but 20-30 miles out of the port in most cases the cell towers are gone.

When fishing in Kodiak (we've cruises AK as well) we have service in town, it gets spotty as we go around North end and pick up a tower in a remote community etc...

From one Staten Islander to another, do yourself a favor. You're going to be in one of the most beautiful and remote spots in the United States. Lock your phone in your safe and grab your camera instead and enjoy your vacation! :)

While in port the ship's cell tower will be off and whatever local service is there will be active. You can find more info about this and other things on www.cruiseportinsider.com.

You can also consult your cell provider about who does their coverage in AK and what if any, roaming you will do.

Don't forget that Canada is not only roaming but foreign roaming and can get very expensive unless you have Canada on your cell plan.

The 2.49/min on ship was correct in 2012 and could still be the same today.

From one Staten Islander to another, do yourself a favor. You're going to be in one of the most beautiful and remote spots in the United States. Lock your phone in your safe and grab your camera instead and enjoy your vacation! :)

We were on a shore excursion to the Mendenhall Glacier near Juneau a few years back. One guy on our tour spent the whole time talking loudly into his phone. I deeply regret not telling him how rude that was.

I love when posters dictate what others should do with their cell phone usage

You have no idea why the person is asking about cell service

The reason could be trivial or the reason could be important

It's not for you to judge

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

...do yourself a favor. You're going to be in one of the most beautiful and remote spots in the United States. Lock your phone in your safe and grab your camera instead and enjoy your vacation! :)

Normally I would just skip over the "leave cell phone off"comments, but since you brought it up.

Put the camera away and enjoy the view. It is sad that some people (maybe not this poster), miss the beauty because they are too busy taking hundreds or thousands of pictures or videos. Take a few pics and then put it away. Take it in.

Normally I would just skip over the "leave cell phone off"comments, but since you brought it up.

Put the camera away and enjoy the view. It is sad that some people (maybe not this poster), miss the beauty because they are too busy taking hundreds or thousands of pictures or videos. Take a few pics and then put it away. Take it in.

I don't disagree Gary. It was just a suggestion of a better use for ones time than talking on ones cell phone. To the OP, please do not misconstrue my comments that I was "dictating" how you use your cell phone. Of course you may have important reasons to have phone access. It is a SUGGESTION that it is better sometimes to lock up the phone and enjoy the moment. Sorry if my friendly comment blew up the world! :)

That is the plan...:D I was just curious

Thank You all for the comments. I have no intention of using my cell phone on vacation. I was just curious in case something does come up. On cruises in the past I texted my parents to say we made are the ship and everything is fine. Then the phone goes off and in the safe.

The whole reason I asked is out of curiosity which is what all of these posts are for. Anyone can express their opinion and it is the OP choice on whether to follow it.

I take pictures as a hobby. I love taking pictures. I will take a ton of pictures but I will also appreciate the views.

Thank You all again for all of your opinions. Happy Sailing!!! :D

Go to the ports of call area of this forum, pick Alaska. There is an active thread on this very question. i'm looking at the Alaska forum each day, as we are going back this summer. Someone mentioned they were able to have access with Verizon device in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway. There are discussions in the thread about other carriers (ATT and T-Mobile also).

There has been lots of good info on that Ports of Call section for Alaska lately.

Check it out when you get the chance.

Go to the ports of call area of this forum, pick Alaska. There is an active thread on this very question. i'm looking at the Alaska forum each day, as we are going back this summer. Someone mentioned they were able to have access with Verizon device in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway. There are discussions in the thread about other carriers (ATT and T-Mobile also).

There has been lots of good info on that Ports of Call section for Alaska lately.

Check it out when you get the chance.

Sorry, but I must point out that all of those cities are part of the USA and covered on all carriers domestic USA plans. These are no different than if you went to Chicago or Miami or Denver. It works just fine.

Edited by garycarla

I was interested in this thread because we own a business. While it would be nice to turn off the phone and enjoy the trip, we can't. We have to check messages in port and at least call or email the urgent ones.

So yes, this is a legit question and I'm another who agrees that this post shouldn't be met with criticism. People have reasons to need to know. Maybe they have kids that need tending or a sick relative they need to keep tabs on. Or maybe they have a business of their own, where checking on things actually allows them to relax more, via knowing that no urgent matter is at hand. Etc, etc.

BTW, in somewhat answer. I've checked, and for Verizon at least, the cell coverage is pretty good once you get to Alaska. I was amazed! But I will be leary about using cell service anywhere but in town. And roaming gets turned OFF.

Edited by TATraveler

I was interested in this thread because we own a business. While it would be nice to turn off the phone and enjoy the trip, we can't. We have to check messages in port and at least call or email the urgent ones.

So yes, this is a legit question and I'm another who agrees that this post shouldn't be met with criticism. People have reasons to need to know. Maybe they have kids that need tending or a sick relative they need to keep tabs on. Or maybe they have a business of their own, where checking on things actually allows them to relax more, via knowing that no urgent matter is at hand. Etc, etc.

BTW, in somewhat answer. I've checked, and for Verizon at least, the cell coverage is pretty good once you get to Alaska. I was amazed! But I will be leary about using cell service anywhere but in town. And roaming gets turned OFF.

I have Verizon and iircc last year service was sketchy at best. Often it was out of network. I think the only port we had solid service was Ketchikan. Anchorage and Fairbanks were good, as were several Kenai towns, but they are not cruise ports.

Be careful about roaming in Canada; my BIL had a huge bill on his AT&T iPhone a few years back when he forgot to turn off data. You don't have to make a single call to get a $400 cell phone bill!

You really have to not pay attention and IGNORE multiple warnings on your phone to get hit up with data roaming. It happens of course.

We usually leave our phones on everyday, on or off the ship. No big deal if we get a few calls or a few texts, at sea or in port.

By the way, we are in the camp of being more relaxed if we have the phones and check in, than if we did not. Different folks, different strokes.