Celebrity UK - changes after final payment rules?

Wiltonian

On the cruise we're booked on for Norway in May (final payment made a couple of weeks ago), prices have just dropped hugely. Aqua gty. cheaper that OV has ever been.

I realise that I'll lose 123Go benefits if I change, but can someone tell me what Celebrity UK will allow in terms of changes, please? Presumably I can't get the saving on any price reductions?

Stuart

On the cruise we're booked on for Norway in May (final payment made a couple of weeks ago), prices have just dropped hugely. Aqua gty. cheaper that OV has ever been.

I realise that I'll lose 123Go benefits if I change, but can someone tell me what Celebrity UK will allow in terms of changes, please? Presumably I can't get the saving on any price reductions?

Stuart

Your best bet is just to call Celebrity and ask.

Not sure about the rules in the UK as compared to the US, but in the US, sometimes if you call and speak to a different representative, you get a completely different response. That amount they quoted you seems to be the amount of the penalty for cancelling a cruise after final payment.

Perhaps if you just explain that you don't want any credits or refunds, and just want to switch cabin categories, the answer might change?

They are certainly not obligated to do anything for you, but another very polite call certainly couldn't hurt :)

I did! Within 56 days, can only cancel and rebook, with an £850.xx cancellation fee. No thanks.

Stuart

That's the risk you take booking early in the UK, no comeback I'm afraid. We have done the same for our cruise in November because we wanted a certain cabin class on a certain deck.

Not sure about the rules in the UK as compared to the US, but in the US, sometimes if you call and speak to a different representative, you get a completely different response. That amount they quoted you seems to be the amount of the penalty for cancelling a cruise after final payment.

Perhaps if you just explain that you don't want any credits or refunds, and just want to switch cabin categories, the answer might change?

They are certainly not obligated to do anything for you, but another very polite call certainly couldn't hurt :)

They knew that was all I wanted to do; I could have been wanting to pay lots more for a suite, but the agent checked with her supervisor first. It's a different commercial culture in the UK compared with US, I think.

Stuart

We hadn't researched cruises at all before we decided to book for the same cruise as you. With only the choice of an inside cabin or suite we went for the inside cabin. Luckily we were offered an amazing deal to upgrade to Aqua Class. I'm sure its only because we are new to cruising and they want to get us hooked.

Since I've been on the forum I've learned we missed out on OBC, free parking and other perks.

Will be much wiser next time, it definitely seems to be a minefield with widely fluctuating prices and offers. Maybe its best to book and not look again once you've committed! Hard to resist. I priced our cruise again based on the prices shown the other day and reckon we are saving around £400pp with our booking.

It was the same in 2012, the same cruise o Norway. After final payment, the prices plummeted, the Aqua class next but one to us was advertised for £1000 less than we paid. When we complained Celebrity UK denied it was sold so cheap, but we got a future cruise credit after I sent them a screenshot of the advert!

We were told that there so many complaints about the reductions, and the loud music problem on that cruise that Celebrity UK had 2 staff sorting out all the complaints.

Maybe its best to book and not look again once you've committed! Hard to resist.

I think you're right! Earlier this month, prices were higher than we paid, and were without the Drinks/Grats 123Go offer that we have, so I was enjoying looking at prices them.

Still happy with the deal we've got. But thinking that once retirement comes, I'll join the "book a month before sailing" club!

Stuart

As the saying goes...

"only book something if A - your happy with the price & B - your happy with what your getting for the price"

We are also on the eclipse to the fjords!

Some say book early some last minute... Who knows what's going to happen with prices! We booked early & booked an Aqua class A1 and am very happy with the deal we got... Even at the reduced rates on offer at the moment we have still got the cabin cheaper and we have the drinks package & nice OBC to go with it :) but I know not long after we booked the fares started to rise very quickly so we were lucky to book when we did!

Hi,

I am on the 9 May Fjords cruise as well and tried to upgrade to a balcony, being advertised for £800pp. Sadly as expected I am not allowed to upgrade as the offer is for new bookings only. I understand they are the rules, but still its leaves a very regular customer feeling somewhat let down.

Ian