Lerwick Question

We will be arriving in Lerwick, Shetland Islands on the Eurodam in June. I have read that in previous seasons there was a long delay in being allowed off the ship because of immigration -- the officials needed to see each person, in person with their passport before they were allowed off the ship. I am wondering if anyone knows if this problem still exists or if they have found a way to make it move more quickly.

We are trying to figure out what time we will be on land.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

We were there last Sept. on a Princess ta, and I don't recall any problems. It was a tender port, and we were off quickly to join our tour. I think that immigration officials came onboard at some port, and we had to report to them onboard the day before our arrival. They may have sailed with us from Southampton, but I'm not sure where they joined us.

If you have any interest in history, don't miss the Jarlshof Ruins. They're amazing.

Edited by FritzG

I think that immigration officials came onboard at some port, and we had to report to them onboard the day before our arrival. They may have sailed with us from Southampton, but I'm not sure where they joined us.

In that case, it seems that your cruise company they took the first of the two options described in this article - http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/herald-view/cruising-into-needless-trouble.19825546

Edited by insanemagnet

In that case, it seems that your cruise company they took the first of the two options described in this article - http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/herald-view/cruising-into-needless-trouble.19825546

Yes, they must have done that. This was not the first time we've had to report with passports for immigration while onboard during a ta. If I recall correctly it was for a port in Scotland also. They kept the passports, and they were returned later in the cruise.

We were on a Celebrity cruise last year. Customs officials boarded the ship at the port before Lerwick and on the sea day, saw everyone with their passports individually. Everyone had a time slot and the whole thing was very organised. We had boarded the cruise in Copenhagen hence the need for customs, but the Customs officials found it amusing that we were from the Highlands of Scotland yet they still had to see our passports. :)