Penthouse Suite Locations - Dawn

sail7seas

The NCL site has been going down on and off all night but I've been looking at the locations of the Penthouse Suites on Dawn. The are either all the way forward or all the way aft facing? Is that right? I really don't like either. Wish there were port or starboard. :)

Are the Mini-Suites considered suites with concierge and butler? I tried to see if they had an "S" in the numbering but the site went down on me.

Edited by sail7seas

The NCL site has been going down on and off all night but I've been looking at the locations of the Penthouse Suites on Dawn. The are either all the way forward or all the way aft facing? Is that right? I really don't like either. Wish there were port or starboard. :)

Are the Mini-Suites considered suites with concierge and butler? I tried to see if they had an "S" in the numbering but the site went down on me.

I hope this will be of some help from NCL website

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/dawn/staterooms/Suite

Mini suites are not part of the suites program only an overgrown balcony

The Dawn has several "suites" on port or starboard sides. Take a look at either the 2 bedroom deck 11 or the family suite with or without balcony deck 12. I believe they will all start with an "S" to give you concierge & butler service. Can't go wrong with any of them. Enjoy the "suite" life!

Looks like you got an answer to everything but what you ask.lol

Penthouse is indeed either aft or forward. Extreme aft and forward. We had the aft penthouse before. They are rather small in my opinion. Only holds 3 people.

You do get full service with butler and concierge .

Lots of walking but everyone seems to enjoy the aft suites. We were with other family so we booked next to them. Personally I like the family suite with no balcony. Just booked another trip on dawn in one. I usually have my ducks in a row but was shocked when I was told we got ultimate dinning, the liquor package, no tips for person 1&2, 200.00 OBC. Yes, all 4 if booked by like april 6th.

I've had trouble figuring out the deck plans on the NCL site. I plan to pick up a brochure tomorrow and hopefully I'll get a better feel for location etc of the various suites. I know HAL inside and out and it's new to me trying to learn new ship where I'm so used to HAL.

I've been in an SJ on the dawn for both the Canadian sailings and a Bermuda sailing, and didn't experience much weather with either (if you're worried about motion). Of course anything's possible when it comes to Mother Nature.

If it's walking, well, the Dawn isn't really all that big. The SJs are very close to the pool, and buffet/specialty restaurants are midship, so that's not far to walk.

It's a hike if you want to go from a show at the Stardust to a show at the Spinnaker (hint: walk outside as far as you can to avoid traffic). But at a leisurely pace it won't take you a significant amount of time.

If mobility is an issue, midship is probably best (but elevators are more problematic, so you may spend a lot of time standing and waiting).

SJs are a great bargain on the Dawn, so if you have a chance and can swing it, grab one!

Hi OP

I've followed your posts for a while on the HAL board and I don't mean to offend you by any of my assumptions, but having had wonderful sailings on HAL in the suites in the past and sailed on Dawn to Bermuda 3 times, I wanted to give you my perspective on the differences you may encounter. I know you've been a cruiser for many years and enjoyed the years when cruising was a luxurious, romantic vacation, before the past decade or more when most all cruise lines, little by little, started to recreate themselves into family vacations.

IMHO for you to enjoy a summer cruise on Dawn to Bermuda, you need to be in a suite, as you've said. I think the aft penthouses on deck 10 would be perfect for you - enough room, but not too much room if you know what I mean. In a very large space, would you feel like you were rattling around all by yourself? Love seat and table, small square dining table if you choose to eat in your cabin, and the wonderful balcony - not as wide as the suites on let's say, the Zuiderdam, but deep. Super comfortable bed, coffee/tea maker in the room, treats delivered by your butler each afternoon. The suite life on NCL is wonderful. In my opinion beats HAL. Little make up table area outside the bathroom. The bathroom isn't as big as in HAL suites - no separate shower and tub, no jacuzzi, but functional. Coming back into Boston we saw whales and dolphins at play! Our cabin steward and butler were comparable in service and perhaps more outgoing than any we had experienced on HAL in the past. We just HAD to hug our butler, Jennifer, at the end of the cruise, because she was so lovely to us.

For you to be happy I'd strongly suggest that you purchase the UDP. The food in the main dining rooms isn't bad, but service is slow, and depending where you're seated and whether it's early enough that many families are eating then, has all the atmosphere of a college dining hall with the noise level. We've really enjoyed Le Bistro, Cagney's, and Moderno. I haven't tried the Italian option because I'm spoiled with the North End of Boston so close to me, and we haven't tried Tepanyaki, but with the UDP included in our cruise this summer, we will. Cagney's is wonderful for breakfast and lunch. A nice, quiet refuge. I don't like fighting crowds at the buffet, although I have to say the dining rooms are not as noisy and crowded at lunchtime.

There will be many, many children on a summer sailing to Bermuda as you might imagine. If you are looking for quiet on your cruise, you can work and plan around any noise and boisterous activity you might want to avoid - it's what I do. I have to sail in the summer.

NCL is not HAL, but neither is cruising what it used to be. If you know what you're getting into and have a plan, you can have a lovely vacation and there's no place more beautiful than Bermuda.

Good luck to you in your decision!

I've been in an SJ on the dawn for both the Canadian sailings and a Bermuda sailing, and didn't experience much weather with either (if you're worried about motion). Of course anything's possible when it comes to Mother Nature.

If it's walking, well, the Dawn isn't really all that big. The SJs are very close to the pool, and buffet/specialty restaurants are midship, so that's not far to walk.

It's a hike if you want to go from a show at the Stardust to a show at the Spinnaker (hint: walk outside as far as you can to avoid traffic). But at a leisurely pace it won't take you a significant amount of time.

If mobility is an issue, midship is probably best (but elevators are more problematic, so you may spend a lot of time standing and waiting).

SJs are a great bargain on the Dawn, so if you have a chance and can swing it, grab one!

I appreciate you pointing out these things. Very helpful. Thankfully, I have no mobility issues and can walk reasonable distances. When on HAL's so-called Signature Class ships, it's a hike from MDR to Show Lounge, aft to all the way forward, and I think probably comparable to Dawn. I'd rather be relatively nearby my friends so am probably going to forsake some of the features of the aft location in favor of being closer to my friends. I definitely am going to give a closer look to the "SJ" before making a firm decision. Of course, if I don't get going on this, there won't be much availability. :eek:

Thanks for your help.

Hi OP

I've followed your posts for a while on the HAL board and I don't mean to offend you by any of my assumptions, but having had wonderful sailings on HAL in the suites in the past and sailed on Dawn to Bermuda 3 times, I wanted to give you my perspective on the differences you may encounter. I know you've been a cruiser for many years and enjoyed the years when cruising was a luxurious, romantic vacation, before the past decade or more when most all cruise lines, little by little, started to recreate themselves into family vacations.

IMHO for you to enjoy a summer cruise on Dawn to Bermuda, you need to be in a suite, as you've said. I think the aft penthouses on deck 10 would be perfect for you - enough room, but not too much room if you know what I mean. In a very large space, would you feel like you were rattling around all by yourself? Love seat and table, small square dining table if you choose to eat in your cabin, and the wonderful balcony - not as wide as the suites on let's say, the Zuiderdam, but deep. Super comfortable bed, coffee/tea maker in the room, treats delivered by your butler each afternoon. The suite life on NCL is wonderful. In my opinion beats HAL. Little make up table area outside the bathroom. The bathroom isn't as big as in HAL suites - no separate shower and tub, no jacuzzi, but functional. Coming back into Boston we saw whales and dolphins at play! Our cabin steward and butler were comparable in service and perhaps more outgoing than any we had experienced on HAL in the past. We just HAD to hug our butler, Jennifer, at the end of the cruise, because she was so lovely to us.

For you to be happy I'd strongly suggest that you purchase the UDP. The food in the main dining rooms isn't bad, but service is slow, and depending where you're seated and whether it's early enough that many families are eating then, has all the atmosphere of a college dining hall with the noise level. We've really enjoyed Le Bistro, Cagney's, and Moderno. I haven't tried the Italian option because I'm spoiled with the North End of Boston so close to me, and we haven't tried Tepanyaki, but with the UDP included in our cruise this summer, we will. Cagney's is wonderful for breakfast and lunch. A nice, quiet refuge. I don't like fighting crowds at the buffet, although I have to say the dining rooms are not as noisy and crowded at lunchtime.

There will be many, many children on a summer sailing to Bermuda as you might imagine. If you are looking for quiet on your cruise, you can work and plan around any noise and boisterous activity you might want to avoid - it's what I do. I have to sail in the summer.

NCL is not HAL, but neither is cruising what it used to be. If you know what you're getting into and have a plan, you can have a lovely vacation and there's no place more beautiful than Bermuda.

Good luck to you in your decision!

GREAT post. You hit on important high points that interest me a lot.

Sincere thanks. :)

You've cruised many more times than I have so you may already be familiar with drag it decks .... a free service from cruise deck plans. This link should take you directly to "dragable" deck plans for the Dawn.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/dragdeck.php?ship=Norwegian-Dawn&zoom=1

Here are a couple videos found on youtube for Dawn aft facing penthouse 10226

and the balcony for 10226 :)

The deck 10 aft facing balconies are unusually large - we were lucky enough to book one (not penthouse) for our 14 day repositioning cruise on the Dawn this fall.

If you go on youtube and type in NCL Dawn family suite there are also videos for family suites with and without balcony.

Edited by kjquilts

Looks like you got an answer to everything but what you ask.lol

Penthouse is indeed either aft or forward. Extreme aft and forward. We had the aft penthouse before. They are rather small in my opinion. Only holds 3 people.

You do get full service with butler and concierge .

Lots of walking but everyone seems to enjoy the aft suites. We were with other family so we booked next to them. Personally I like the family suite with no balcony. Just booked another trip on dawn in one. I usually have my ducks in a row but was shocked when I was told we got ultimate dinning, the liquor package, no tips for person 1&2, 200.00 OBC. Yes, all 4 if booked by like april 6th.

It's probably just a matter of semantics but the 2-BR SC suites on the Jewel Class are labeled penthouses. For instance, we've stayed in the Emerald Penthouse four times on 3 different ships. I don't know how they label them on the Dawn Class but it doesn't matter. It's a suite, whether it's called a penthouse or a Swiss chalet. We love the SC, though after seeing it on youtube we've booked an SB.

Excellent link. Finally, a deck plan I could really read !!!

That's a great link.

I still can't find where they have the key to cabin numbers and category type. Where does it tell that

9500 (for example) is a Penthouse Suite? I'm really not as dumb as I am sounding :o and certainly understand deck plans but NCL's is confusing me.

Edited by sail7seas

The SD suites on deck 12 are in the forward part of the ship but do not face forward. Rather, they are on the port and starboard sides of the ship. They are much bigger than the aft-facing penthouse suites, plus the bathroom is enormous with both tub and shower. I have not sailed on the Dawn but I was in one of the SD suites on the Star, which is the Dawn's sister ship. From the pictures I have seen, the layout of the Dawn SD is slightly different but still looks very comfortable. My very first cruise was in a suite on HAL Ryndam, and the SD suite on the Dawn felt very similar.

I did a quick search and found pictures here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1703080

This is not my posting so I hope that it's okay to post it here.

We stayed in SD 12026 last April and loved it. It was on the starboard side. We had two adults and three boys ages 7, 11 and 12. Plenty of room. I have pictures posted on some of my other posts. No butler service for the mini suites.

Edited by bosnatis

On the cruise deck plan website - link follows - choose the cruise line and ship, choose your deck # and point the mouse at the stateroom on the deck plan. 9500 on the Dawn shows it is a category SE penthouse suite balcony. The click here for more information takes you to a box that says info is for paid subscribers. Cost is minimal and it gives you access to photos of staterooms posted by various cruisers. Much of the info on the website is free of charge.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/Norwegian-Dawn

Cut and pasted the pop up info on the stateroom

Category SE Penthouse Suite Balcony X Cabin is 314 sq ft , Balcony is 134 sq ft

smfppenthouse22.jpg

Click HERE for more information

*Square footage is not specific to this cabin, but rather is average in this category type. Cabin size for category SE ranges from 294 to 357 square feet with 144 to 266 square foot balcony. Cabin size for category SF is 286 square feet plus 65 square foot balcony.

Here is link to NCL Dawn deck plan info for the Dawn . For some reason it always defaults to deck 8 but you can select deck 9 or any other deck you are interested in. You can click on the stateroom type on the left hand side and bring up more descriptive material.

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/dawn/deck-plans#DAWN_PENTHOUSE_WITH_LARGE_BALCONY_SE_R-gallery

Excellent link. Finally, a deck plan I could really read !!!

That's a great link.

I still can't find where they have the key to cabin numbers and category type. Where does it tell that

9500 (for example) is a Penthouse Suite? I'm really not as dumb as I am sounding :o and certainly understand deck plans but NCL's is confusing me.

Don't worry. They're not dumb questions. That's why this forum exists. Any cabin category that starts with an S is a suite, whether it's referred to as a penthouse or a suite. There's no difference in perks.

The SD suites on deck 12 are in the forward part of the ship but do not face forward. Rather, they are on the port and starboard sides of the ship. They are much bigger than the aft-facing penthouse suites, plus the bathroom is enormous with both tub and shower. I have not sailed on the Dawn but I was in one of the SD suites on the Star, which is the Dawn's sister ship. From the pictures I have seen, the layout of the Dawn SD is slightly different but still looks very comfortable. My very first cruise was in a suite on HAL Ryndam, and the SD suite on the Dawn felt very similar.

I did a quick search and found pictures here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1703080

This is not my posting so I hope that it's okay to post it here.

That is a beautiful cabin. Not much to dislike with that one.... :)

You are the most helpful bunch. I'm so happy I 'came on over here'. :)

I'll be solo in the cabin so don't need tons of room but I am used to fairly decent size suites on HAL ships. The SE would suit me fine but I'm not sure about the forward facing wind. I'm not that concerned about having to shut off the lights when the ship is moving. That wouldn't be a big deal for me.