So sad I just realized my daughter is turning 18

gladimhere

I hear ya. My son was 19 when we went on our last cruise together. Thankfully friends of ours were cruising with us and they have a son the same age who went so he had an instant companion. They actually met a lot of others on the ship in the same situation so don't let that steer you away.

It's so hard when our kids move from one stage of life to another!! I had a bit of a hard time when my son turned 18.

Does Carnival have any sort of get-together for that age group? I thought I remember seeing on our NCL cruises that they do have a get-together for 18-20 year olds (can't remember the ages exactly) at the start of the cruise. Maybe those of that age group can meet and then hang out together.

I know ..... my thoughts are that they should have more planned activities for that age group. I know my son would have participated. But, maybe he's in the minority??!! Not sure.

I think if I had an 18 yo cruising with us, I would have them bring a friend. I think they would have a lot more fun. When my son was 17 1/2, he brought along a friend. They really had a great time! They went to a lot of the ship activities, dined together without us, went into the ports on their own, went to the big evening shows together. They did dine and do some activities with us, at their request. It was a bit worried how it would work out cruising with them, but it worked out really well. Actually better than I was even hoping!

But, it still did make me sad that my son was not with us the entire time, like when he was young.

And, boy, don't ask me about how I felt when he moved out of the house. Last child leaving was hard on me!!! ha!

If she has a passport I think it expires @ 18

nope it only expires when she turns 18 if they got the passport on their 13th birthday otherwise its good for 5 years from the time they got it.

Once you get a passport past your 18th birthday they are good for 10 years.

http://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/does-a-passport-expire-when-a-minor-turns-18.html

Bill

Not to derail this any further, but in the US, the 10 year passport is issued at age 16. The five year minor's passport is issued to those 15 and younger.

That is not correct. If they received their passport before age 16 it is good for 5 years from date of issue. Over 16 it is good for 10 years from date of issue.

Lol. I have to renew my youngest at 15. Oh well. The next time he needs to renew after that will be on his dime.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Lol. I have to renew my youngest at 15. Oh well. The next time he needs to renew after that will be on his dime.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I told my kids the same thing:D

If you are not planning of flying for your next vacation, what about just the passport card for $30 and get the passport book in a year when he is 16? Then it will be good all through college. Any passport he gets now will only be good for 5 years anyway

Edited by thomarvin

nope it only expires when she turns 18 if they got the passport on their 13th birthday otherwise its good for 5 years from the time they got it.

http://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/does-a-passport-expire-when-a-minor-turns-18.html

Bill

THANKS, niece got it when she was 13, paying $250 to get new one for May cruise.