Taxi for 6 people

Sheal

Hi,

We will need the use of a taxi a few times during our week in Barcelona. Are larger taxis that can accommodate 6 people readily available or should I expect to have to call for one? If I have to call, how much time should I expect to have to wait? 10 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes?

For instance, we will need one from Parc Guell back to our apartment and the Magic Fountains back to our apartment. In these two places are taxis found in a particular area? With respect to the Park. I thought I read on TA they they are by a particular entrance.

I also plan to use one to get to Placa d'espanya the morning we visit Montserrat. Will there be a lot of traffic at 7:30-8:30 in the morning? The taxi guide gave me an estimate that it would take 8 minutes but should I double that for rush hour?

Thanks,

Sheal

This photo shows the two types of taxi in Barcelona.The one furthest from the camera is a 6 passenger taxi.

taxis-barcelona.jpg

Remember - most but not all of these larger vehicle taxis are licensed to carry 6 passengers.

There is no way of predicting whether a larger taxi will be available at any given time. They are most common at places like railway stations and airports.

If you call a radio taxi you will pay around €4 extra for the journey. Add to this the extra charge of €3.10 for carrying 6 passengers and, for short journeys, you may find it just as cheap to get 2 taxis if a larger one is not available.

Edited by RollieUK

Thanks RollieUK,

I was aware of the 3.1 charge but was not aware of the fee to call for a taxi. I will plan accordingly for the difference. If we find one, great, if not, two taxis it is.

Sheal

MADflyer,

I actually used that website to come up with the fares in order to estimate the cost of the routes I would need. I did notice that the english version wasn't running.

Thanks for the link. I will see if I can figure out where I should head for the ranks of taxis.

Sheal