Hotel and Parking

jimmcg29

I have been struggling to find a way to balance cost, convenience and fun. The only thing I know for sure is I will be driving in from Michigan with a family of four in a Ford Expedition. I will be sailing out on the Carnival Dream. The only reason I mention the type of car is with some parking garages the height is a concern but I fit in most just fine.

One of the things I am trying to decide is whether I get into town late Friday night (8-9 pm) after many hours of driving or stay a couple hours away and finish the drive Saturday morning. The ship sails on Sunday. The advantage of coming into town Friday night we can hit the ground running Saturday morning. If we come in Saturday we need to find hotel, park check in etc. and nobody will be relaxed until the room is ready. The downside of arriving Friday we roll into town tired and staying that night in New Orleans is probably more expensive.

Once in town I would really like to put my car away and not see it again until I get off the ship. The park and cruise hotels have a certain appeal but I really would like to be more in the city. Right now I am thinking of rolling into town whichever day, park at the Fulton street Parking and staying at the Hyatt Place at the Convention Center (recently had a different name I think). Looking at online maps etc. it looks like the perfect plan but not having any firsthand experience I thought I would ask here.

From what I can tell it is an easy walk from the parking garage to the hotel. I could either drop the family and luggage off at the hotel and walk by myself, or we could all walk together dragging our rolling suitcases.

Sunday morning could we even walk to the ship? I doubt that, I thinking it would be a short cab ride though. Maybe we could go back to the Parking Garage and jump on their shuttle?

One thing that makes me a little nervous is this hotel is much cheaper than the others in this area which is normally a red flag. The reviews, however, seem to be good.

Anybody have any thoughts?

We use Machu Picchu for our parking. Even tho we only have a 3 hour drive to NOLA, we go over the day before. We drive directly to Machu Picchu, leave our vehicle there (secured parking area), along with all our luggage except for our overnight bags. They take us to our hotel and then pick us up the next morning and take us to the port. They transfer all our luggage from our vehicle to their shuttle before picking us up at the hotel so we only have to worry about our overnight bags. We like being able to get into town, get the car parked just once and not deal with it. Here's their link in case you want to check it out: http://machupicchutours.com/cruise-ship-parking/

Once in town I would really like to put my car away and not see it again until I get off the ship. The park and cruise hotels have a certain appeal but I really would like to be more in the city. Right now I am thinking of rolling into town whichever day, park at the Fulton street Parking and staying at the Hyatt Place at the Convention Center (recently had a different name I think). Looking at online maps etc. it looks like the perfect plan but not having any firsthand experience I thought I would ask here.

From what I can tell it is an easy walk from the parking garage to the hotel. I could either drop the family and luggage off at the hotel and walk by myself, or we could all walk together dragging our rolling suitcases.

Sunday morning could we even walk to the ship? I doubt that, I thinking it would be a short cab ride though. Maybe we could go back to the Parking Garage and jump on their shuttle?

One thing that makes me a little nervous is this hotel is much cheaper than the others in this area which is normally a red flag. The reviews, however, seem to be good.

Anybody have any thoughts?

I thought it was the perfect plan on paper so I booked the same a few weeks back for our cruise. Guess what? It IS the perfect plan. :)

First, the Hyatt Place is excellent. You have nothing to worry about. We paid $170 plus taxes (so $196) as there was a big fest going on the weekend we arrived. Other hotels were going for $300+ and when we checked later the Hyatt Place prices were at those levels too. So pricing is dependent on many things. Free breakfast is good at Hyatt Place.

Fulton Place parking is VERY close to the Hyatt Place. In fact they use that for their valet parking. Several people who work at Fulton Place also work at Hyatt Place too as I learned from some of them. :)

To catch the shuttle from the front door of the hotel you will have to walk maybe 150 feet or so. You will walk more in the terminal than you will getting to the shuttle.

I have a Toyota Sienna and also seen several full sized trucks and SUVs in the garage. I think the sign said 6'6" but don't quote me on that. Pay the $8 for rooftop parking which is often full so they will have you parked in the covered parking on 6,7, or 8 instead. (Just ask when you pull in)

Go to hotel first, drop luggage and people, and then one person takes vehicle in Fulton place. They then walk across the side street (same side of the road as hotel) and check-in with everyone.

When you get back from your cruise, give a porter in the terminal a $5 bill and he will march you and your luggage to the exact spot where the Fulton shuttle pulls up. When you get to the garage, one of you stays down with the luggage and the other one brings the vehicle down. They do not want luggage on the elevators and it makes it better for all.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much! Great information. I must have put in the dates wrong on my original hotel search because the price doubled. The price is more in line with the others now. Maybe too many others read this post and drove the price up on me.