Non Imported, Unique or Hard to Find Liquors

JawjaFatBoy

We're doing a 7 day western Caribbean in September with stops in Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya and Roatan. I'm looking for liquors for myself and for gifts that are either not available in the US, or are really unique and hard to find.

Already planning on looking for Havana Club rum, 5 Barrel rum from Belize and Sauza Hacienda black label tequila which is supposed to be the non import version.

Any other suggestions from those who are familiar with these ports? Also, any suggestions for other unique gifts? Thanks in advance!

A friend brought a bottle back last year without any problems. He said all the customs guy wanted to know about was Cuban cigars. I may still try to get a bottle as it was very very good. Thank you for the warning though. I DO appreciate it!

Nothing is x-rayed getting off the ship. If you are flying you may have a problem- we don't fly anymore, we drive so don't know about that. We just list so many bottles of wine/alcohol, you don't say the brand, just the cost for each bottle. You shouldn't have a problem but will have to pay an added tax as you are only allowed, is it 1 or 2 bottles per person when not coming from St. Thomas? Then they may look at each bottle. But, if a bottle or two is in your suitcase and not on your customs form, they won't know you have it.

I did learn I have to declare every bottle of wine I was given. The maître'd gave me a bottle of wine every night plus a bottle of Champaign and the cruise director also gave me Champaign! The customs agent told me I must list them and because they were a gift and list the price as zero!

If the ship sells Sheridan's - pick up a couple of bottles. It is not exported to the USA. The duel bottle design and coffee/cream liquor is unique.

On my last "drive back from the port" cruise, I stupidly only purchased three bottles - nobody inquired or checked when I got off the ship. The sales person in the ship's liquor boutique sold a full case to the guy in front of me!

Well, off to the British Isles next month and a couple of stops in Ireland where the stuff I made. Got to figure out how to get some home without breakage.

Darcy

Nothing is x-rayed getting off the ship. If you are flying you may have a problem- we don't fly anymore, we drive so don't know about that. We just list so many bottles of wine/alcohol, you don't say the brand, just the cost for each bottle. You shouldn't have a problem but will have to pay an added tax as you are only allowed, is it 1 or 2 bottles per person when not coming from St. Thomas? Then they may look at each bottle. But, if a bottle or two is in your suitcase and not on your customs form, they won't know you have it.

I did learn I have to declare every bottle of wine I was given. The maître'd gave me a bottle of wine every night plus a bottle of Champaign and the cruise director also gave me Champaign! The customs agent told me I must list them and because they were a gift and list the price as zero!

We will be driving. On our last cruise out of Port Canaveral the customs agent took my form, looked it over and asked how many bottles of liquor. I replied 4 and he just waved us through and told us to have a nice day! If I do find some Havana Club I may just wrap it good and put it in one of the suitcases.:cool:

If the ship sells Sheridan's - pick up a couple of bottles. It is not exported to the USA. The duel bottle design and coffee/cream liquor is unique.

On my last "drive back from the port" cruise, I stupidly only purchased three bottles - nobody inquired or checked when I got off the ship. The sales person in the ship's liquor boutique sold a full case to the guy in front of me!

Well, off to the British Isles next month and a couple of stops in Ireland where the stuff I made. Got to figure out how to get some home without breakage.

Darcy

I have been thinking about this. My wife loves it and I like it fairly well. I do love the bottle though! Have a great trip to the UK, that is one that is on my bucket list!

We were in Cozumel a few years back and I remembered trying a very good reposado tequila that was in a unique barrel shaped bottle on a wooden stand. I passed on it at the time and then found out it was not imported. Got to thinking about it and managed to find out it was made by Farias. Hopefully I will find it this trip and if so I will DEFINITELY be bringing a bottle or two home!

Anyone recommend any other good tequilas? I can always use good bar stock!:D