Smaller minis on Island Princess?

jasbo49

Well, here's an Island Princess question that has nothing to do with its drydock. It looks to me as if the mini-suites are smaller on Island (and Coral) than they are on Grand Class and other larger ships.

The Princess website clearly gives smaller square footage (280 to 302 sq ft as opposed to 323 for a Grand Class mini), but I'm never quite sure how much to rely on such things. The website has been wrong before.

I guess my question is: Have those who've been in an Island or Coral mini and a Grand or bigger mini noticed a difference? Should we prepare ourselves that it will actually feel smaller than the one we had a few months ago on the Golden Princess? If so, where does it show up? Smaller closet, sitting area or what? I don't think it matters, but our trip is Dec. 5, a westbound canal transit. Thanks in advance.

Jim

Keep in mind that the Grand class is a bigger ship . Everything is a little bigger including some cabins. The Island and Coral were designed for going thru the Panama Canal.
Grand class ships are wider, but shorter than the Coral/Island. The interior section is narrower, but the exterior cabins are essentially the same. We haven't been in a mini but we have been in balcony cabins and they are essentially the same as on the Grand class ships.

I believe there may be an issue with the cabin sizes shown on the website. Comparable balcony and mini suite balconies are shown to be about 20 sq.ft. small than on Grand class ships but we haven't noticed a difference.

Edited by IECalCruiser

The interior of Island/Coral mini suites do not feel any smaller than those on Grand Class ships. Depending on location, some of the balconies are smaller.

Thanks. That's what I was looking for. We have a forward Caribe mini, which appears to have the bigger, fully covered balconies, but the inside dimensions are what I was concerned about.

Jim

They have always felt the same to us also. To us and strictly our opinion the Island and Coral are the best Princess has. Well at east until this makeover. And guess we will find out in a few months.

We've been in both balcony and mini suites on both he Island and Coral, as well as on the grand and royal class ships. I have never really noticed a difference in cabin size...relative to cabin category. Everything still fits in the closets. The bathrooms seem the same size. I wouldn't worry about it. Just enjoy the cruise you choose.:)