An Open Letter To Mr Del Rio.

Merriem

I think Mr Del Rio has really screwed up...basically he has forgotten his target market. I would say that those 4000 passengers on these ships are watching their money carefully. These are my thoughts to him.

Mr Del Rio, I have been on Oceania twice, and have to say you are unimpressive. We just were on the Insignia before the fire. We booked a Vista Suite which was not cheap and it was my 70th birthday. Your company did not even give me a stupid little cake, and because of that I cancelled a $20,000 New Zealand cruise while I was still on board. I have been wanting to tell you this...not that you care...but this is exactly what you are doing on NCL. Actually I was sorry to hear that you are now the CEO of NCL also.

Now clearly stated you are a greedy typical corporate guy. Do you realize how your target customer is probably on a budget, has children, and they do not need another charge. Give people a break! Remove this charge and keep your ships filled. People have no loyalty and will change ship lines in a heartbeat. You are not the only boat in the water!

We do not use room service, and are conveniently staying in the Haven on the Breakaway. Our first cruise nearly 35 years ago was on NCL in an inside cabin. We have cruised 3 other times on NCL before the mega ships. Do you not make enough money? Frankly you will see a decline in bookings with this kind of nonsense and I guess you are not too smart to not see that! I remember reading on the Oceania and Regent boards how all the stuffy people were afraid you would turn those lines into an NCL...well, I have been on both of those, and for the money it wasn't worth it. Lastly, do not try and fix something that isn't broken. NCL has a nice product and I am sure we will enjoy our trip to Bermuda in the Fall.

If you care I booked a Royal Suite on Celebrity for New Zealand at half the price of Oceania...all inclusive I might add.

Hope you learn before you lose more customers.

You canceled a $20,000 cruise because they didn't get you a birthday cake and your how old...never mind [emoji33]

You bet. If you are that unimportant, why would you want to give them anymore of your money. Saved us $10,000.

I think Mr Del Rio has really screwed up...basically he has forgotten his target market. I would say that those 4000 passengers on these ships are watching their money carefully. These are my thoughts to him.

Mr Del Rio, I have been on Oceania twice, and have to say you are unimpressive. We just were on the Insignia before the fire. We booked a Vista Suite which was not cheap and it was my 70th birthday. Your company did not even give me a stupid little cake, and because of that I cancelled a $20,000 New Zealand cruise while I was still on board. I have been wanting to tell you this...not that you care...but this is exactly what you are doing on NCL. Actually I was sorry to hear that you are now the CEO of NCL also.

Now clearly stated you are a greedy typical corporate guy. Do you realize how your target customer is probably on a budget, has children, and they do not need another charge. Give people a break! Remove this charge and keep your ships filled. People have no loyalty and will change ship lines in a heartbeat. You are not the only boat in the water!

We do not use room service, and are conveniently staying in the Haven on the Breakaway. Our first cruise nearly 35 years ago was on NCL in an inside cabin. We have cruised 3 other times on NCL before the mega ships. Do you not make enough money? Frankly you will see a decline in bookings with this kind of nonsense and I guess you are not too smart to not see that! I remember reading on the Oceania and Regent boards how all the stuffy people were afraid you would turn those lines into an NCL...well, I have been on both of those, and for the money it wasn't worth it. Lastly, do not try and fix something that isn't broken. NCL has a nice product and I am sure we will enjoy our trip to Bermuda in the Fall.

If you care I booked a Royal Suite on Celebrity for New Zealand at half the price of Oceania...all inclusive I might add.

Hope you learn before you lose more customers.

Maybe you should tell Mr. Del Rio how you really feel...

Definitely a funny letter -- too funny, IMO, to take seriously. Firstly, IMO, Oceania (and Regent) are very successful cruise lines that run mostly full ships. NCL would not have purchased them for $3B if they were not worth it. Mr. Del Rio has been the CEO of Oceania since its' inception and the CEO of Regent for 7 years. Yes, after changes were made, Regent lost some customers but gained more than they lost. While what has transpired on Oceania and Regent is a bit off topic, it does speak to the management style of both Apollo and FDR.

I have been reading the NCL boards for about 3 months and it was clear that there is a fear of raising cruise fares since that could make cruising unaffordable for some families. Fares on cruise lines have been going up annually (not sure if this is the case for NCL). When I look at some of the new charges, I look at the items affected as being optional. If I was on a strict budget and wanted to take a cruise on NCL, the basic fare would be important to me. If I could not dine in specialty restaurants, drink much/any alcohol or have room service, it would not be as important as not being able to afford the cruise and being with my family. I would appreciate everything on the ship that is not costing extra money (and, from what I see, there are a lot of things to do and see that do not have a charge).

Maybe I should put my flame-retardant suit on now as I'm bound get flamed. For those of you wanting to try a different cruise line, I suggest you do so. I did after Regent was purchased the first time. While we still occasionally sail on other cruise lines, we liked Regent before and, in spite of the changes, still like it. Lastly, I would forego room service if they were going to charge for it. As I mentioned, for most people it is optional - not required on a cruise.

Edited by Travelcat2

Definitely a funny letter -- too funny, IMO, to take seriously. Firstly, IMO, Oceania (and Regent) are very successful cruise lines that run mostly full ships. NCL would not have purchased them for $3B if they were not worth it. Mr. Del Rio has been the CEO of Oceania since its' inception and the CEO of Regent for 7 years. Yes, after changes were made, Regent lost some customers but gained more than they lost. While what has transpired on Oceania and Regent is a bit off topic, it does speak to the management style of both Apollo and FDR.

I have been reading the NCL boards for about 3 months and it was clear that there is a fear of raising cruise fares since that could make cruising unaffordable for some families. Fares on cruise lines have been going up annually (not sure if this is the case for NCL). When I look at some of the new charges, I look at the items affected as being optional. If I was on a strict budget and wanted to take a cruise on NCL, the basic fare would be important to me. If I could not dine in specialty restaurants, drink much/any alcohol or have room service, it would not be as important as not being able to afford the cruise and being with my family. I would appreciate everything on the ship that is not costing extra money (and, from what I see, there are a lot of things to do and see that do not have a charge).

Maybe I should put my flame-retardant suit on now as I'm bound get flamed. For those of you wanting to try a different cruise line, I suggest you do so. I did after Regent was purchased the first time. While we still occasionally sail on other cruise lines, we liked Regent before and, in spite of the changes, still like it. Lastly, I would forego room service if they were going to charge for it. As I mentioned, for most people it is optional - not required on a cruise.

Hi, I see you on lots of boards, but this wasn't meant to be funny. I enjoyed Regent before Del Rio, and was totally unimpressed with Oceania both times. I will say Oceania had excellent food in the MDR. That was it for us...

You canceled a $20,000 cruise because they didn't get you a birthday cake and your how old...never mind [emoji33]

They didn't appreciate her, I get the cancellation. I have left many filled carts in the grocery store or Walmart, etc. If the checkout lines are too long. You don't value me or my time, I have options.

Anyone in the business of selling $20,000 cruises should have a system in place to acknowledge celebrations like a 70th birthday. A cake or something is a very small give.

Edited by Nola26

For the most part I agree with the premise of what you are saying.

You should consider revising it to be a little nicer and more diplomatic.

I think that approach may go farther.

He isn't going to read it, and if he did he would t care! I think we should all be nice in the beginning. I think he is greedy, and it will be interesting if he keeps these ships full.

How you you be diplomatic? He sure wasn't to all of the NCL customers. Nice thought, but all I said was the truth.

He has already sacked so many emploees he raised the fares for 2016 he introduced ridiculous oncreases in everything...if he keeps like that in some time from now he is going to cruise alone on ncl...wow he is going to have the big boat all for himself!!! Kevin sheenah was the best ceo ever for ncl..he transformed it made it fabulous and profitable now this guy i dont know whats going through his mind!!!time will tell..i dont care though so much anymore..a lot of other cruiselines for me are available

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, I see you on lots of boards, but this wasn't meant to be funny. I enjoyed Regent before Del Rio, and was totally unimpressed with Oceania both times. I will say Oceania had excellent food in the MDR. That was it for us...

Hi Merriem: Sorry if I found it funny. After all of the discussion on the NCL boards the last two days I can't tell what is true and what is meant as a joke.

We enjoyed Regent before and after FDR. While I do not like a few of the changes, many of the crew have been there since Regent was Radisson. We love the crew (more than the passengers:-) and their service never fails to impress us. In terms of Oceania, we found the ship amazing (the Riviera) - particularly in the larger suites. We were impressed with some of the food in the specialty restaurants but not in the Terrace Café. We had one dinner in the MDR and did not care for it. We are happily back with Regent.

In terms of NCL, I think that people need to vent. Maybe they need to try another cruise line. My DH and I just spoke about this subject over cocktails and agree that the sky isn't falling and that some of the increases that have been made on NCL is better than raising the fares (as Regent has done). They have passengers because of their pricing.

There is one thing that NCL passengers seem to be missing. FDR may be the CEO but Apollo still has a huge impact on what is happening with NCL (as they do with Regent and Oceania). Since Regent and Oceania were not publically owned, I am not certain what influence the stockholders have. Maybe someone can enlighten me. My point is that FDR is not single handedly dictating the current changes with NCL The powers behind him direct the actions that are being taken.

Good letter. This is going to be a tipping point for NCL under it's new leadership. If NCL backs off of this new fee and apologizes, they may be able to save themselves. If they decide to go full steam ahead despite the massive outpouring of outrage on both this site and their facebook page, then I think they're going down. I really do miss Kevin Sheehan, he was a great CEO and really knew how to treat his customers. It's a shame that the new administration is so short-sighted. This may increase NCL's profit margin in the extreme short run, but it's going to disgust enough of us and turn enough of us away that I think i will hurt them a lot in the long run.

OK: here is my read on all of this posts on this CEO.

We have many options and if NCL continues to raise prices and wants to become the next new high priced line; so be it.

I have NO problem cancelling all of our high priced suite cruises. Not a threat; just reality.

There is so much competition that we will cancel and switch.

When this CEO can provide the level of food served on X Aqua Class (non suite); the pools on RCC in a solarium; and the suite level of service on Princess, I will stay.

If DH and I continue to get squeezed and he wants $50.00 more, say that and leave everything else alone.

Otherwise, enjoy our suites; they will be available!

It seems every day I check in here there is another upcharge.

Will monitor and cancel when needed.

A "leader" can make or break an organization in a very short period of time. I will see for us.

I think sometime these CEO make so much money they have a hard time connecting with their core customers. They only care about huge profits and making a name for themselves on Wall Street. They think the customer will remain loyal no matter what changes they make. I think Mr. Del Rio should take a que from the former CEO of JC Penney's. He insisted his way of everyday low prices and not having sales was the way to go. He was going to be Penney's savior. I didn't agree and refused to shop there (as did many other customers). Now they went back to their former model of sales every week but I got out of the habit of shopping their stores so it's not the first place I head for my shopping. I used to be a loyal Penney's shopper. This could be the nudge loyal customers need to explore other cruiselines. They might find the grass IS greener on the other side. Just booked an Escape cruise for 2016 and was considering a 2017 also. Will wait and see what happens and then consider my options. Lots of good options with other cruiselines.

They didn't appreciate her, I get the cancellation. I have left many filled carts in the grocery store or Walmart, etc. If the checkout lines are too long. You don't value me or my time, I have options.

Anyone in the business of selling $20,000 cruises should have a system in place to acknowledge celebrations like a 70th birthday. A cake or something is a very small give.

I'm with you! Crazy that they missed the opportunity to celebrate a good customer. Our first cruise is next Monday...oh well, no room service for me. I wonder what the dress code is at 3 am when I get thirsty...hope it's sleep-casual!

I'm booked on a 2016 Alaskan cruise and I can tell you, I'm watching the changes that the new management is making very carefully. There's still plenty of time for me to cancel and book on another cruise line.

And I'm bet I'm not the only customer watching either.

Edited by pnerissa