Can I still prepay gratuities before increase?

luv2gonow

When did you book it? What does it say when you log into to MyNCL, go to your Vacation Summary, and click on "Pre-Pay Service Charges"?

All of my cruises booked before March 1 still offer me the option of paying at the old rate ($12/day), and it is my understanding that this will remain possible until my sail date, so I will continue to wait until then. If I fail to pre-pay before leaving, I understand that the service charge will be charged onboard at the new rate ($12.95/day), but I don't plan on letting that happen.

Please let us know what your online reservation says.

My TA said

"Hi –

I did NOT charge the gratuities to your credit card. They will be paid when you make your final payment. There was clarification from NCL: The gratuity amount is based upon your booking date. As long as the gratuities are pre-paid they will be at the lower rate. "

My cruise is not until July 19th so again I have been told that I am still paying the old fee.

Also, the 'talk' around about the 18% gratuity automatically added to specialty Restaurants... if you prepaid the UDP before 3/20/15 (or as I did got it as a promo) you are not hit with this!!!!

Unfortunately... the new info today was everybody now gets hit for Room Service

My TA said

"Hi –

I did NOT charge the gratuities to your credit card. They will be paid when you make your final payment. There was clarification from NCL: The gratuity amount is based upon your booking date. As long as the gratuities are pre-paid they will be at the lower rate. "

My cruise is not until July 19th so again I have been told that I am still paying the old fee.

Also, the 'talk' around about the 18% gratuity automatically added to specialty Restaurants... if you prepaid the UDP before 3/20/15 (or as I did got it as a promo) you are not hit with this!!!!

Unfortunately... the new info today was everybody now gets hit for Room Service

I read another post today on cruise critic that the $7.95 service charge for Room Service is a "test" on two ships only. I think it was the Getaway and Breakaway (not positive about the names). If you are on the Epic you may not have that charge. Guess you will have to "wait and see" what happens after the test period (whenever that is?) if NCL implement it for all the ships.

I also read that you can prepay your DSC up to sailing date at the old rate.

My PCC at NCL told me that even if I prepaid the DSC after March 1, as long as I did it before the saildate for my cruise in June (that I booked more than a year ago), I would get the "old" rate. If I waited until I was on board, I would be charged with the new rate.

Edited by TrumpyNor

I'll again be going on the Breakaway, and in my opinion.....

The main point that NCL really needs to get a grasp on is that many many people are starting to feel a bit betrayed with all of these 'after booking' fee changes... especially how they are being implemented.

NCL seems to be trying to 'Grandfather' some of the fees to those who booked before they changed the fees but not all.

That aspect seems to surprise me... especially in such a tight industry (Cruises) since there are many alternatives.

I never use Room Service, so this item doesn't hit me directly but other surprise fees may and I hope NCL understands that many, like me, are trying NCL for the first time just before retirement and ...................

I booked my cruise in for this June last year. I paid my final payment two weeks prior to being due. Just last week I called back and pre-paid my DSC with the $12.00 fee.

My cruise was booked before the increase and my understanding is if paid PRIOR to getting on the ship I would only be charged the $12.00....

and that's what happened.

Harriet

I just booked last Saturday for May 2 departure - the grats were $12.95 ($14+) CDN when I went in to authorize payment. $402 (CDN) for 4pax x 7days

And I have to say - I am bummed about the extra charge for room service. Seems lame and unfair to change with absolutely no notice. One of my absolute favourite parts of cruising vs land based vacations is the morning coffee and fruit wake-up call. I enjoy heading up to the deck with my coffee in my hand while my boys dress.

Edited by tanyaewa