El Morro with Walking Difficulties

cloudydrms

As many times as we've been to San Juan, we've never been to El Morro. My hubby broke his hip in January and is still walking with a cane. I figured that El Morro was out because typically there are a lot of steps at forts but I recently came across a picture that looked like maybe there weren't too many if you took the trolley to the front. So, my question is are there tons of steps making it impossible for hubby to do (or steep hills)?

Thanks in advance.

Cindy

After you get off of the trolley, you will have a long walk ( level ) to get to the entrance of the fort. Once inside, there are a lot of stairs if you want to see the entire fort. :(

I agree. Both forts have a lot of stairs.

I agree. Both forts have a lot of stairs.

I thought it would be pretty unusual if there weren't a lot of stairs at the fort. That's the whole idea...to be up high so you can see people coming from far away. Thanks for the info. Hubby and I will have to be content just eating at a nice restaurant this trip.

Cindy

I thought it would be pretty unusual if there weren't a lot of stairs at the fort. That's the whole idea...to be up high so you can see people coming from far away. Thanks for the info. Hubby and I will have to be content just eating at a nice restaurant this trip.

Cindy

There are stairs but you can see a good bit by using some of the ramps. You may not be able to get all the way down, but there is still plenty to see. Just take the trolley, which at times goes very close to the entrance of El Morro. From there, I believe the next stop is San Cristobal Fort. Even if i could not climb all of the steps, I would still go as its something worth seeing even partially.

Edited by PortMaster

There are stairs but you can see a good bit by using some of the ramps. You may not be able to get all the way down, but there is still plenty to see. Just take the trolley, which at times goes very close to the entrance of El Morro. From there, I believe the next stop is San Cristobal Fort. Even if i could not climb all of the steps, I would still go as its something worth seeing even partially.

Thanks for the info, PortMaster. I actually think that we may just hop on the trolley to see what we can see. I've never actually gotten out to see much of OSJ on our visits there, so I think it'll be interesting even if we can't climb to the top of the forts.

Cindy