Another "Just off Adventure" 3/22-29

Just off of Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean cruise, which left out of San Juan. For some background, this is the 4th cruise my wife and I have taken, 3 on RC and one on Princess. We're 58 years old, really like the beach and water.

Overall thoughts: Great cruise. We loved the ports, and all the executional things went very well (embarking, disembarking, luggage etc). Ship was fine overall, maybe a little worn but nothing bad. Just not the freshest ship we've been on.

If you have any specific questions, reply to this post and I'll get back to you.

Some details:

1. Embarking in San Juan was great. Flew down the night before, had some overbooking issues with Hyatt House (not RC's fault), but otherwise everything went smoothly. Got to the ship around 12:30, took about 40 minutes to get through all the lines and board the ship, and in the cabin around 2, which is what most people stated on previous cruises.

2. Food - overall the entire food experience was nothing great, but fine. Breakfast and Lunch was the same everyday in the Windjammer. They could really use some variety. We tried BF in the dining room on 2 days, once was great and once was a disaster with food coming out piecemeal over a 30 minute period. My wife actually finished breakfast and left to do some stuff before my meal even came. We only did lunch once or twice as we were typically off the ship during lunch, but the snacks/lunch they put out at 3:30 was very good (nachos, pizza, etc). And of course the frozen yoghurt cones are great.

3. Dinner - the dinners were also fine, but nothing spectacular. Big dropoff vs RC 5 years ago, and Princess food and dining experience was much much better. Our waiter was not very good - zero personality and not very efficient. but we had great table mates and the food was good enough.

4. Pool area, chairs etc were pretty typical. Not a big problem getting chairs (we only had one day at sea) - and poolside activities were fine. Only complaint - the comic bits on the poolside screen were juvenile, loud, repetitive and not funny at all (and occasionally offensive). Get rid of this asap!

5. Stateroom (we had a balcony on Deck 7) was great. Clean, bed was comfortable, great cabin attendant (Leonard). No musty smell, not hard beds or any other issues I have read about. Surprisingly good storage space.

6. Ship Entertainment - personal taste, but we liked the comedians and the music, and the ice skating show was good.

7. Stop selling me stuff. Pictures everytime you turn around, sales in the Promenade clogging up the walking, etc. I'm not there to shop, and if I were, I would know where the stores are.

Ports of Call: (we do no ship excursions, we find our excursions on line)

1. Day at Sea

2. Barbados - we took a catamaran sail on the Elegance, and swam with the sea turtles. Very nice excursion, relaxing, sailing, snorkeling. A little crowded at the snorkeling stops (lots of boats), but nice overall, great crew, good drinks and food. And Elegance only had 14 people on it, so a nice small group.

3. St Lucia - Cosol tours. Great tour of the island. Be prepared, this is a long day in a van, but worth it - we saw a lot. One tip - don't go swimming with your wife's iPhone. Not a good idea!

4. Antigua - Took a cab to Darkwood beach. Spent $25 for two chairs and a bucket of beers. Very nice quiet, relaxing beach - not at all crowded. I would go back to this beach

5. St Martin - did Rhino boats (like slower jet skis) up the west coast of the island, stopped to snorkel and then came back. Our favorite excursion and our favorite island. Lots of fun.

6. St. Croix - walked to Sand Castle on the Beach. 30 minute walk (they'll tell you 15, we walk pretty fast and it was at least 25). This was fine but I wouldn't do it again. A little too crowded, and the area available for the resort is a little tight. I just think there has to be a nicer, quieter beach.

Disembarking - went very smoothly. One recommendation. When you get down to your luggage, get a porter. He'll get you through the line quicker and get you where you need to be. We'll worth the tip.

Overall, a very nice cruise. I would say our on board experience was a little nicer on Princess, but the Ports were what we wanted on this trip and everything ran smoothly.:):cool:

Thanks for the review. We are on Adventure right now. And so far I Agree with most of your assessment. Buffets on Princess are better and have much better variety. Although I like the MDR food better and our service is Great.

Just off of Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean cruise, which left out of San Juan. For some background, this is the 4th cruise my wife and I have taken, 3 on RC and one on Princess. We're 58 years old, really like the beach and water.

Overall thoughts: Great cruise. We loved the ports, and all the executional things went very well (embarking, disembarking, luggage etc). Ship was fine overall, maybe a little worn but nothing bad. Just not the freshest ship we've been on.

If you have any specific questions, reply to this post and I'll get back to you.

Some details:

1. Embarking in San Juan was great. Flew down the night before, had some overbooking issues with Hyatt House (not RC's fault), but otherwise everything went smoothly. Got to the ship around 12:30, took about 40 minutes to get through all the lines and board the ship, and in the cabin around 2, which is what most people stated on previous cruises.

2. Food - overall the entire food experience was nothing great, but fine. Breakfast and Lunch was the same everyday in the Windjammer. They could really use some variety. We tried BF in the dining room on 2 days, once was great and once was a disaster with food coming out piecemeal over a 30 minute period. My wife actually finished breakfast and left to do some stuff before my meal even came. We only did lunch once or twice as we were typically off the ship during lunch, but the snacks/lunch they put out at 3:30 was very good (nachos, pizza, etc). And of course the frozen yoghurt cones are great.

3. Dinner - the dinners were also fine, but nothing spectacular. Big dropoff vs RC 5 years ago, and Princess food and dining experience was much much better. Our waiter was not very good - zero personality and not very efficient. but we had great table mates and the food was good enough.

4. Pool area, chairs etc were pretty typical. Not a big problem getting chairs (we only had one day at sea) - and poolside activities were fine. Only complaint - the comic bits on the poolside screen were juvenile, loud, repetitive and not funny at all (and occasionally offensive). Get rid of this asap!

5. Stateroom (we had a balcony on Deck 7) was great. Clean, bed was comfortable, great cabin attendant (Leonard). No musty smell, not hard beds or any other issues I have read about. Surprisingly good storage space.

6. Ship Entertainment - personal taste, but we liked the comedians and the music, and the ice skating show was good.

7. Stop selling me stuff. Pictures everytime you turn around, sales in the Promenade clogging up the walking, etc. I'm not there to shop, and if I were, I would know where the stores are.

Ports of Call: (we do no ship excursions, we find our excursions on line)

1. Day at Sea

2. Barbados - we took a catamaran sail on the Elegance, and swam with the sea turtles. Very nice excursion, relaxing, sailing, snorkeling. A little crowded at the snorkeling stops (lots of boats), but nice overall, great crew, good drinks and food. And Elegance only had 14 people on it, so a nice small group.

3. St Lucia - Cosol tours. Great tour of the island. Be prepared, this is a long day in a van, but worth it - we saw a lot. One tip - don't go swimming with your wife's iPhone. Not a good idea!

4. Antigua - Took a cab to Darkwood beach. Spent $25 for two chairs and a bucket of beers. Very nice quiet, relaxing beach - not at all crowded. I would go back to this beach

5. St Martin - did Rhino boats (like slower jet skis) up the west coast of the island, stopped to snorkel and then came back. Our favorite excursion and our favorite island. Lots of fun.

6. St. Croix - walked to Sand Castle on the Beach. 30 minute walk (they'll tell you 15, we walk pretty fast and it was at least 25). This was fine but I wouldn't do it again. A little too crowded, and the area available for the resort is a little tight. I just think there has to be a nicer, quieter beach.

Disembarking - went very smoothly. One recommendation. When you get down to your luggage, get a porter. He'll get you through the line quicker and get you where you need to be. We'll worth the tip.

Overall, a very nice cruise. I would say our on board experience was a little nicer on Princess, but the Ports were what we wanted on this trip and everything ran smoothly.:):cool:

Where were the nachos and pizza? in the Windjammer? Variety in the windjammer does have a LOT to be desired.

Nice review. I agree with all you have said. This will be our 2nd time on this run and we are doing it again next year. Best itinerary for us. :)

Thanks for the review. Anxiously awaiting for 5/3 to get here!!!

Is there 24 hours soft service ice cream/yogurt available?

Not 24 hours. Limited availability on pool deck from around noon to 7pm or so.