Boring poolside atmosphere

Scotto97

Well I for one would just like to say Thank You Scotto97 for bringing this on going issue to the forefront for us, after both reading and commenting on this topic , I for one would question why anyone would look to the upper deck pool area with the stacked concert speakers as their onboard quite spot and expect others to keep it down for them?

No matter how different our likes or dislikes are the one common bond that we all share is that we love cruising and we love cruising with Princess.

I for one would like to see a more lively atmosphere poolside then the one Princess now offers, I will bring this issue up to the current Cruise Director every chance I get, as we are the cruisers of tomorrow cruising today and as already stated this is by no means being disrespectful of ones right to a onboard quite spot.

John

^^^ This ^^^

We have cruised the caribbean exclusively with Princess every March for the past 9 years. All of them were 7 days with the exception of a 4 day last December. Over the years we have seen several men's sexy legs competitions, a hairy chest competition, and something on the 4 day that involved acting like Tarzan. Every age group seemed to be represented. None of these things lasted much longer than 15 to 20 minutes and from what I could see, there were large crowds laughing and enjoying the show. A few times I watched (and laughed), other times I just kept reading my book.:D. I don't see what the big deal is about doing something like this for 15 minutes out of a 7 day cruise. Even the silly pool games they do one afternoon during the week only last a very short time. And just for the record, we are 53, and 54 years old and never once felt that we had to go to the dining room in a t-shirt and baseball hat after watching them.;)

And on a funny note - the winner of the Tarzan competition was a man who looked to be in his mid 70's. He was the only one of the contestants (who were much younger) who knew what Tarzan's yell sounded like! Was it silly - extremely. Did it make a large number of people laugh - yes.

I like this! Great to hear!!

I would prefer not to have ear-deafening music, nor juvenile pool games

Snoop Dogg, or feeling the need to party hard.

Skai, come on man not one person on this topic is suggesting none of that stuff!

What we have now is a fall asleep with a book nap area, let's respectfully liven things up a bit, that is what this topic is all about. Man give us some music to listen to, lots of good stuff out there to please us all nothing more guys just something to break the current boring silent atmosphere.

John.

I would prefer not to have ear-deafening music, nor juvenile pool games

Snoop Dogg, or feeling the need to party hard.

Skai, come on man not one person on this topic is suggesting none of that stuff!

John.

Correction: I'm suggesting none of that stuff.

Jim

They had steel drum bands, fun pool games where the winners received gold medallions, and smart DJ's that played good 70's and 80's music to keep people drinking and in a upbeat and social mood.

My goodness, well each to their own but the trouble with this is impacts other people's experience. I think that sounds indescribably ghastly. So I am about to go on Princess for the first time, does that mean I should go to the Sanctuary and that I have to pay for that?

All replies have been really in favor of a quiet and boring pool atmosphere with little or no entertainment.

I can definitely tell you that's not how it used to be on the Princess Caribbean cruises we had taken in the past.

They had steel drum bands, fun pool games where the winners received gold medallions, and smart DJ's that played good 70's and 80's music to keep people drinking and in a upbeat and social mood.

We hope all Princess cruises have not turned into a poolside book reading club. As we love the upscale feel and service, but don't want to be bored out of our minds either.

There's needs to be some compromise for those who want a little more activity and social atmosphere around the Neptune Pool, otherwise Princess will lose younger (35 -50) upscale cruisers to other, more proactive lines.

Besides, this will drive more revenue two ways - the selling of more drinks and additional Sanctuary revenue for those looking to read books in a quiet place

this line might suit you best or NCL

After 30-some years of teaching college, I have formed some ideas about the anti-reading crowd. I encountered plenty of them over the years. "You want me to read this WHOLE book?" Sometimes it was a lack of reading skills. (Yes, you can get to college without being able to read very well. Sad but true.) Sometimes it was the chore of having to do something other than party all night. For whatever reason, the best way, it seemed, to avoid reading was to dismiss reading as anything important. It is obvious when reading what someone writes whether or not he or she is a reader. This attitude toward reading is something "of which by" reinforces the idea that someone who wrote a book must be famous, indeed "the most famous."

I don't think it is always about reading. Some people need stimulation outside of themselves to feel "vitality." The culture is making it worse with the cell/ipad/constant attention to something moving...I see people walking their dogs with their nose in their phone/texting or talking......really?

Well, see this topic is still around, Look no one has the right to tell you you can't fall asleep with your book, go right ahead it's your vacation enjoy. But why would you do it on a pool with stacked concert speakers and then expect it to be a quite zone just for?

No one has the right to be disrespectful and tell me or my family that we can't listen to some music poolside.

Just as the OP stated lots of music for us all to enjoy 60s, 70s, 80s., just give us something to break the Boring Silence, if thats what your looking for then just go to one of the other pools.

Again no one is talking about a get drunk party hard blasting Ganster Rap environment that's absurd to even take this topic there.

Just my thoughts.

John

I guess I'm another one of the 'minorities' here. Recently retired (Freedom55 is soo nice) from a stressful job, I find the boredom around the pools is depressing.

I can find a nice place in the sun - or out - many places around the ship to read and find solitude - even my room or balcony. What I'm looking for is entertainment. Used to love the concerts on MUTS, along with live music and a DJ at the pool. People watching during the pool games was also entertaining.

Now, it's so boring during sea days - I hate them! I used to go on vacations to come home depleted and wanting to go back to my 'stressful' job just to recuperate and relax!

No one has the right to be disrespectful and tell me or my family that we can't listen to some music poolside.

Doesn't that street run both ways? :rolleyes: On the subject of MUTS concerts--aren't they still doing that? I remember some Paul McCartney on my last cruise as I was passing by the pool. Seemed plenty loud to me.

I think a lot depends on the CD.... Sailaway is usually fun, along with the deck party and other activities... if you have a good CD, things may be more lively. It's the luck of the draw...

Having said that, OP may be happier on another cruise line.

True it is up to the Cruise Director, however I do not agree with you or anyone else when you say " Find another cruise Line " ? Just because we want to listen to some music poolside and enjoy ourselves instead of falling asleep reading a book Come on Really.

OP has already stated both he and his wife are long time Princess passengers, so who are you or anyone else to tell anyone " Find another cruise line ", Geez.

John

I'm a soon to be Princess cruiser and correct me if I'm wrong but are there not more than 1 pool to laze around?? I can understand the concern for quiet if there was only one pool and the music etc was all day long. My last cruise only had the one pool but entertainment was the Zumba class or the volleyball game otherwise we sat around an empty pool (literally a hot sunny 2 days and they drained it for maintenance) BTW what is MUTS?

Edited by Lulubelle45

True it is up to the Cruise Director, however I do not agree with you or anyone else when you say " Find another cruise Line " ? Just because we want to listen to some music poolside and enjoy ourselves instead of falling asleep reading a book Come on Really.

OP has already stated both he and his wife are long time Princess passengers, so who are you or anyone else to tell anyone " Find another cruise line ", Geez.

John

Maybe another cruise line can guarantee this type of entertainment ...

I'm a soon to be Princess cruiser and correct me if I'm wrong but are there not more than 1 pool to laze around?? I can understand the concern for quiet if there was only one pool and the music etc was all day long. My last cruise only had the one pool but entertainment was the Zumba class or the volleyball game otherwise we sat around an empty pool (literally a hot sunny 2 days and they drained it for maintenance) BTW what is MUTS?

Movies under the Stars. There are more than one pool...

I don't think it is always about reading. Some people need stimulation outside of themselves to feel "vitality." The culture is making it worse with the cell/ipad/constant attention to something moving...I see people walking their dogs with their nose in their phone/texting or talking......really?

I always think that is being so rude to the poor dog . . .

My husband and I agree with the OP. when we first started cruising we were in our early to mid forties. Loved Princess then. Now it seems like most the people on Princess should be on HAL. We're to old for Carnival, but it seems to young for Princess. All of our cruises have been on Princess, except one on Celebrity. In January, we'll be on our 10th and 11th cruise on Princess.It's not that we mind having Senior's on board with us. Just want things more lively.

I'm a soon to be Princess cruiser and correct me if I'm wrong but are there not more than 1 pool to laze around?? I can understand the concern for quiet if there was only one pool and the music etc was all day long. ... BTW what is MUTS?

If you go back to the beginning of this thread (I don't necessarily recommend this unless you're really bored), you'll see that it didn't start with someone demanding quiet. It started with someone asking for more music and activity and others saying they were perfectly happy with a calmer poolside atmosphere.

MUTS is Movies Under The Stars, the outdoor screen at the main pool.

Jim

so who are you or anyone else to tell anyone " Find another cruise line ", Geez.

I think the wording of the person you take to task here was "OP may be happier on another cruise line." He did not deliver an admonition to the OP to "find another cruise line." However, I realize it's probably an odious task to discern a person's meaning when this would involve reading for comprehension. Oh dear, there I go using big words again.

My husband and I agree with the OP. when we first started cruising we were in our early to mid forties. Loved Princess then. Now it seems like most the people on Princess should be on HAL. We're to old for Carnival, but it seems to young for Princess. All of our cruises have been on Princess, except one on Celebrity. In January, we'll be on our 10th and 11th cruise on Princess.It's not that we mind having Senior's on board with us. Just want things more lively.

Early fifties and I so agree. Did the HAL cruise and last call at 11:30 pm on a Friday night. Aka Snooze Cruise. So not ready yet!