Formal Evenings

Last year my friend and I enjoyed our first cruise on a Liberty of the Seas and enjoyed every minute especially dressing up for the formal evenings. I did notice that quite a lot of the gentlemen wore dinner suits but I am trying to find out how strict the Cruise line are as my brother in law will be cruising on Allure of the Seas later this year. This question is directed to dining in the main restaurant. Thank you

Last year my friend and I enjoyed our first cruise on a Liberty of the Seas and enjoyed every minute especially dressing up for the formal evenings. I did notice that quite a lot of the gentlemen wore dinner suits but I am trying to find out how strict the Cruise line are as my brother in law will be cruising on Allure of the Seas later this year. This question is directed to dining in the main restaurant. Thank you

At worst, I suspect they would enforce the no-shorts rule. But many posts suggest even that is ok these days.

Although, I wonder about formal Bermuda shorts. :D

Business casual will be fine on formal nights on Royal Caribbean.

We haven't been on Liberty in a few years, but were on Oasis in last 2013. And reading thru other dress code threads, it seems that attire in dining rooms is more on the casual side, even on formal nights. While some dining rooms enforce the suggested guidelines, others do not. Shorts in the MDR may be prevalent on some cruises, not on others. If you plan to eat in the MDR, I would pack according to the suggested dress guidelines. (On formal nights, a tux isn't required and some men will be there without a jacket at all.) Or, you can opt for more casual dining at the buffet. :)

On Royal's formal nights in the MDR you can dress up, or just dress nicely and be just fine. If your BIL is comfortable wearing pants and opened collar shirt, he will be just fine. Sportscoats, Suits, ties...all optional on Royal even on formal nights.

hi.

I'm so glad you love the formal nights.

its so wonderful, one of the things I look forward to most on a cruise.

I've just booked anthem of the seas and am devastated as they have no formal nights and RCI won't let me cancel or transfer cruises.

Gosh so surprised you haven't got any formal evenings

devastated ...........

This was for my 50th treat .... and no special gala nights to look forward to.

check before booking a quantum class.

All my other rci cruises have been formal, so I wrongly (according to loads of punters) assumed anthem would be the same. :(

How many Formal Nights are there on a 7 Day cruise (and what nights of the cruise are they)? I love Formal Nights so the more, the better!! :D I'm thinking of booking the Freedom of the Seas if that makes a difference.

How many Formal Nights are there on a 7 Day cruise (and what nights of the cruise are they)? I love Formal Nights so the more, the better!! :D I'm thinking of booking the Freedom of the Seas if that makes a difference.

There are usually 2 formal nights on a 7 day cruise. The first formal night is almost always night 2. The second one depends on itinerary, usually night 5 or 6.

none on a quantum class ship. so don't bother x

There are usually 2 formal nights on a 7 day cruise. The first formal night is almost always night 2. The second one depends on itinerary, usually night 5 or 6.

Thanks!! :D They're usually on sea days right (except for the 1st one when day 2 may be a port day)? That would make the 2nd one Day 6 on the itinerary I'm looking at (not counting the day you get off as day 7). Does that make some kind of sense?

none on a quantum class ship. so don't bother x

I'm looking at the Freedom which I don't think is a Quantum Class so no worries on that one!! :)

Thanks!! :D They're usually on sea days right (except for the 1st one when day 2 may be a port day)? That would make the 2nd one Day 6 on the itinerary I'm looking at (not counting the day you get off as day 7). Does that make some kind of sense?...

It varies. Post the itinerary you are taking, and someone will be able to tell you the formal nights.

Edited by clarea

devastated ...........

This was for my 50th treat .... and no special gala nights to look forward to.

check before booking a quantum class.

All my other rci cruises have been formal, so I wrongly (according to loads of punters) assumed anthem would be the same. :(

Don't be devastated.

Don't let what others wear affect how you want to dress.

Dress formal if you want.

You can make every night of your cruise 'formal night', so enjoy.:D

Don't be devastated.

Don't let what others wear affect how you want to dress.

Dress formal if you want.

You can make every night of your cruise 'formal night', so enjoy.:D

Oh bear :(

It's not what people wear ....... its the evening

not the dining ......... its the evening :)

a nice shirt and tie seems to be the more normal formal these days.

I think that since airlines have such weight restrictions and cost for extra bags most men ( especially my husband) prefer a couple nice shirts for formal. Just so he can pack everything in one bag. What ever makes him comfortable. I still love a man in a tux but don't see that many of them anymore.

Interesting comment. Could you please explain what you mean?

explanation ........

A formal "gala" night is an event once or twice on a 10-14 night cruise. where people all look great and all the ladies look exyra special and more beautiful.

formal dining is basically ..... going to dinner in a dinner suit.

now ........ its not rocket science to know the difference is it really.

We don't want the formal dining experience, we want formal nights :)

explanation ........

A formal "gala" night is an event once or twice on a 10-14 night cruise. where people all look great and all the ladies look exyra special and more beautiful.

formal dining is basically ..... going to dinner in a dinner suit.

now ........ its not rocket science to know the difference is it really.

We don't want the formal dining experience, we want formal nights :)

So are you saying that you feel that all passengers should be dressed "extra special" in order for you to enjoy the evening? If so, that is an unrealistic expectation, as not all will choose to participate in an imposed "gala" experience. 50 years ago - maybe. Understanding the reason why is not rocket science either.

Edited by CruiseTobey

So are you saying that you feel that all passengers should be dressed "extra special" in order for you to enjoy the evening? If so, that is an unrealistic expectation, as not all will choose to participate in an imposed "gala" experience. 50 years ago - maybe. Understanding the reason why is not rocket science either.

it's not imposed ........ its wonderful. but if you chose not to take part, that's your prerogative.

would you go to a pinnacle party ???

Would you dress up for Halloween ??

Would you do fancy dress