Heritage mekong river cruise

Shrinkersgal

I have just booked on the RV Mekong Prestige for Feb 2016 after doing quite a bit of research and cost comparison (also looked at the Heritage line). All the Mekong river cruise boats pretty much do the same itinerary with the same stops. Lots of price difference if booking with the major lines vs. booking direct with the boat operators in Vietnam or Cambodia.

Cruised on the Mekong Explorer (Jayavarman) Heritage Lines's first boat back in 2010. Our first Asian river cruise. Cruised down stream in August (the rainy season). There were about 5 boats doing this back then. We all called into similar places. From memory mostly Aussies with some New Zealanders and British and French and Germans. Feel free to ask any questions. Boat was new back then and to us it was rather luxurious. Think the newer boats are more so. Service was great. Drinks were not included in the fare but you had a fridge in your room and no problems bringing on drinks to consume on your balcony.

We sailed on the RV Jahan in September last year - loved it! Sailed from Ho Chi Minh to Siem Reap and as it was high water sailed across the Tonle Sap Lake - magical! Had a superior cabin which was huge, didn't use the balcony much as we spent most cruise time up on the top deck near the small pool.Crew and guides were fantastic, food was good too - loved the buffet lunches. As mentioned drinks aren't included but are reasonable, happy hour each day and no problem bringing on board. People in the villages & towns along the way were beautiful - suffered so much but always had a smile. Lots more boats seem to be cruising now but need to be aware some are too big to cross the lake and the alternative is a long bus ride (this also happens when it is low water or bridge repairs). Our boat was mainly Aussies, 1 UK couple, 1 New Zealand couple and 14 from Norway - there were 42 on board. I am happy to answer any question you may have.

Generally, in February the water level in Tonle Sap Lake outside Siem Reap will be too low for any of the riverboats as this is getting toward the end of dry season. Companies may bus their passengers to or off the boat (depending on which direction your cruise goes) or use speedboat. Bus takes 5-6 hours and speedboat a few from what I understand.

• 2 years later...

Love to chat with you guys re the Mekong Prestige 11 - we are about to book for next February.

Dave and Joan - Sooke BC.

I have just booked on the RV Mekong Prestige for Feb 2016 after doing quite a bit of research and cost comparison (also looked at the Heritage line). All the Mekong river cruise boats pretty much do the same itinerary with the same stops. Lots of price difference if booking with the major lines vs. booking direct with the boat operators in Vietnam or Cambodia.

Love to chat with you guys re the Mekong Prestige 11 - we are about to book for next February.

Dave and Joan - Sooke BC.

Mekong Prestige II cruise was absolutely FANASTIC as was the rest of our Cambodia/Vietnam trip which I pieced together using help from travel forums. My pics, planning notes, journal etc. are all on shutterfly https://sharemytraveladventures.shutterfly.com/cambodiavietnam2016. Meking Prestige II was a lovely boat, the included excursions were varied and very enjoyable, crew was lovely, food was excellent.