7day Cruise with a Carry-on?

calisilent

As someone who has been doomed to 36E/F bras since high school, may I say I don't do padded bras. The last thing I need is to add any volume! I use DIMRS - best things I've ever found. They work with every bra, bathing suit and self-bra on a camisole I've ever had.

And, I can still pack in my carry-on….

Don't waste your breath on this one. She thinks she knows everything.

DIMRS do the same thing without having the padding in the entire cup, only where it's needed to prevent "headlights". To me, it's a huge difference. Used with a sports bra when you are active, DIMRS help eliminate the "chafing" that happens, especially if you are a distance runner...

I have no problem with chaffing when wearing a good and porperly fitted sports bras. I've seen women wearing DIMRS, and I don't care for the way they look under the bra. They look very obvious and create a weird mound.

Vera Bradley makes a travel bag with extra pockets and a nifty band across the back to slide over the handle of the carryon roller....works great ....fit under the seat stuffed...my roller is a bright print as well as the bag....easy to spot from afar and not likely to be mistaken by another...

While I don't like having pictures taken of me, I can tell you about my formal cruising clothes! The shoes I take are not quite vintage but late 1990s Gucci bamboo heels. The top parts are stretch fabric so they squish down.

My formal dress is an unknown brand (no label) vintage metallic cocktail dress with a poufy bubble skirt. And my clutch is a silver beaded bag from the 1960s from Hong Kong (was my mother's). I wear the same outfit each cruise and each formal night, usually there being two. My jewelry is also given to me from my mother (given to her from her mother).

Also if I want to bring or happen to have the room, I have some small fascinators I wear on formal night. Those are the handmade/OOAK items I can't bear to lose. Well the others too!

Bf's clothes are not quite as old but still not re-buyable. Esp in his size.

Your evening outfit sounds so beautiful! AND, when you add the bag and the jewelry that have such sentimental meaning for you I'm sure you feel lovely in it! That makes all the difference in the fun of dressing up for dinner. I wouldn't trust those special pieces to checked luggage either!

You make an excellent choice of "beach bag" . I really give a lot of thought as to what my "personal item " is. I don't just take a purse, even a big one, because I want something with multiple uses. A beach bag or back pack that I can stick my regular purse in can double as an excursion bag for day trips or beach days.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Forums mobile app

Fabulous idea bwaz! I didn't think of using a beach bag, but I like it and it is flexible to fit under the airplane seats and came with lots of pockets and we would need one anyway. I have a Princess Cruise Line Totebag that we got a couple years ago on the Golden Princess. I'll give that a try!

Thank goodness my husband does not read posts on cruise critic. I don't want him to see your packing lists and encourage me to try and do it as well. I am notorious for overpacking. He once dropped our (MY) suitcases in the underground tunnel in Paris near trains and declared loudly that he had a hernia!!! I have narrowed it down a little over the past 40 years but still tend to pack too much. We just returned from nearly three months in Mexico and I only had one large suitcase and one carry-on. For me that is very good.

We have a fall cruise booked that is 28 days and I will try to minimize the luggage and follow your good example. We will spend one week before the cruise in France but I can wash all my clothing before we go to the ship so that will help.

I too am an overpacker ! On our last cruise I took everything the 2of us had neither worn or used & was shocked that it amounted to 1 large suitcase full ! Ridiculous ! Learnt lesson Went to Disneyworld last year cut down on packing Did same thing at end of holiday & still had a suitcase full unworn/unused items. But did have plenty of space for usa bought goodies !

After the last cruise (Celebrity Summit) I'd blow off formal night. You can eat in any specialty restaurant without dressing up and many people did not dress up or immediately changed after dinner. Formal is easy for me with a silk cocktail dress but harder for my husband with the suit.

Anyway, daytime is simple -- flats, a couple of Bermuda shorts and 3 washable silk tanks make it easy. Night time is also a breeze -- I have a reversible tank dress from TravelSmith (and they are on sale now), a very lightweight black BCBG jacket that closes with a bow tie -- cute for evening (or I get a big silk scarf, fold it in half, tie the corners together, slip my arms in and voila! I have a coverup!). I also have a reversible skirt from Cabi (there are several on eBay right now). It has two prints and can be worn as a long skirt, knee length skirt or strapless dress (with the coverup). I take two camisoles with built-in bras, add a pair of silk cargo pants (Nordstrom Rack) and I'm good to go. Finally, use the space saver bags ($10 at Wal-Mart). They allow you to get a whole suitcase worth into a carryon. I don't ever check a bag and I did this for a ten-day cruise in Canada with huge temperature variations.

Edited by s2kreno

Definitely can be done. Plan your wardrobe very carefully, build around basics, wear your clunkier/heavier items, travel size toiletries, warm weather you are in bathing suits, shorts most of the time. Forget the suit for the guy, one pair of dress slacks and collared shirt, little dress/sandles for the lady. We have traveled on a 7 day cruise with two backpacks only and a transatlantic/european trip with two 21" carryons and two backpacks. Pack the purse in the backpack to make the flight restrictions. One cruise we were stopped by staff three times asking if we had "forgot" our luggage! Its sooo much easier..you dont need a different outfit every day.

I carry on my clothes and check a small bag with liquids,( shampoo, sunscreen, and other non-essentials), so if it is lost or misplaced no big deal. These things are easily replaced, not like my favorite swimsuit or sandals.

It is a lot easier to replace sunscreen than a swimsuit.:)

I have seen "so" many people walk off self-assisted with one carry on that we decided to try it. Just didn't work for us. So on our next 7-day cruise I plan on having two carry-ons to see how that works. :p

Or just get a bigger carry-on, they come in different sizes and shapes.:)

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Edited by maywell