Oahu

syr101

We are spending a few days pre cruise at Turtle Bay after one night at the Outriggers Reef. Planning on driving RT 72 to 83 after our morning climb of Diamond Head. Is this this the best route to the north shore or is there a more scenic and/or exciting alternative.

We are spending a few days pre cruise at Turtle Bay after one night at the Outriggers Reef. Planning on driving RT 72 to 83 after our morning climb of Diamond Head. Is this this the best route to the north shore or is there a more scenic and/or exciting alternative.

There's only two roads to get there... take your pick. Drive one on the way there, then the other on the way back.

There are more than two roads to get to the north shore. 72 to 83 is definitely the most scenic, driving along the coast. Make sure to plan a little extra time to stop off at some of the lookouts! That's one of my favorite drives on the island.

~Katy

There are more than two roads to get to the north shore. 72 to 83 is definitely the most scenic, driving along the coast. Make sure to plan a little extra time to stop off at some of the lookouts! That's one of my favorite drives on the island.

~Katy

I was referring to either the coastal route (OPs planned route) or the inland route. Yes, once you exit H1, there are a couple of choices heading north, but the views are similar.

We spent a few days on the Northshore as well. We cut north on the H2 after picking up our rental at the airport as it seemed the most efficient route, but there is not much along this road scenic wise as compared to the other roads. You do pass the Dole Plantation, but I would never stop there again. About the only good thing you can say about this route is that it is fast and efficient if you are pressed for time in getting to the Northshore or if you are in a hurry to get back and drop off a rental. If you have the time, your stated route is probably preferable, and then take an alternate route back.

From Turtle Bay we explored all along 83 all the way down to the Kanoehe area. This Windward Coast area is my favorite and it is much more scenic IMO than even the Northshore.

You planned route taking in the southern part of the island is a good plan, IMO. We missed this lower area.

Another route for either start or return to see some additional country would be to cut across from or to Honolulu on the H3. It hits 83 in the Kanoehe area. Or 61 travels in the same path and I believe it has the Nu' Uanu Pali Lookout.

Edited by punkincc

When we were in Honolulu, we did an early morning hike at Diamond Head. Thankfully, our hotel, Hyatt Regency, was slightly beyond the traffic, so it was a quick drive along the waterfront toward Diamond Head. We picked up scones at a bakery along the way.

After the hike, we drove to Turtle Bay and to see the massive waves along the North Shore. We stopped at the Dole Plantation - sometimes you have to do the tourist thing.:rolleyes: As suggested, we did one route to the North Shore, and returned via the main highway.

Darcy