IMPORTANT - Pearl - VIRUS

Rebels82

It's 6:23pm and Pearl is still in port. Fortunately it's a beautiful day here in Miami so pax waiting to board can enjoy the sunshine if they are allowed outside and not stuck in the terminal. Major inconvenience but I'd rather sail on a 'clean' ship than take the risk of getting noro. Hopefully everyone will get some dinner and be on their cruise soon.

Re: previous post: yeah, what's the Epic got to do with this thread? They left Miami yesterday.

NORO IS NOT CONTAGIOUS. It is a hoax, it is controlled by the HVAC system. These breakouts are manufactured by the cruise lines when too many people are overeating at the buffet. They release the pathogen into the ships ventilation system to slow down food consumption. Another cost saving measure by the cruise lines.

NORO IS NOT CONTAGIOUS. It is a hoax, it is controlled by the HVAC system. These breakouts are manufactured by the cruise lines when too many people are overeating at the buffet. They release the pathogen into the ships ventilation system to slow down food consumption. Another cost saving measure by the cruise lines.

oh, give up! April Fool's Day was last week!

It's OK, don't worry about it. The aluminum foil hat will protect you!

Just got off today too... Heard Captain Paul make a few announcements after we had already guessed there was an infection... The first thing we noticed was the bathroom doors being left propped open (so you didn't have to touch the handle to come in or out of the main bathroom) and the sanitizer gizmos appearing inside the elevators. Other things like no more creamer at your table (they poured it for you) and the salt and pepper disappearing happened later. Our steward told us it was about 100 people total sick and they pinpointed it to being picked up in Aruba. He was also on the sanitation crew, and was unable to do turn down for us two nights (he told us, and someone else did it) because he was stripping the sick rooms of everything... Down to their shower soap dispensers.

I was very impressed with how everything was handled... And would absolutely sail the pearl again.

We got off the Pearl today. We were suppose to be on a 21 day cruise but i came down with the virus Sat night. They made us leave the ship today and said they would fly us to catch the ship in Tortola. Then NCL called us when we got to the hotel said they weren't letting us back on. We had to argue just to get our refund to our credit card and not as a future cruise credit. As far as the hand washing etc. We did that. But I find it telling the there were 3 adjoining rooms with ours that were also quarantined with me. It was the same on the 11th floor, rooms in a row with sick people. They thought the stewards were spreading it so they took out all the glasses, buckets, and other items.

Not the HVAC, silly. They coordinate with the airlines to fly over and release chemtrails. Please keep up with the most current whack-job conspiracy theories; you've lost all legitimacy now.

Your more scary than Noro Virus:rolleyes:

We got off the Pearl yesterday morning. I agree with some of the other members on the ship as far as NCL doing what they could. My only comment is that I wished we would have been formally told about the virus and what precautions are being put into place. First we see sanitizing stations in elevators, then an announcement from Cruise Director Dan offering free medical service to those feeling Noro systems, then propped open bathroom doors, then plates/food being served in buffet, then a few more "don't worry too much we have it under control' announcements from Captain Paul, then ice buckets/glasses and coffee makers removed from rooms, then glasses removed from bathrooms in the cabins.

It would have been nice to just get a notice or something rather than always thinking it must be getting worse with these measures continuing....or do them all at once.

Other than the virus - the overall cruise was a blast!

With all the concern about passing the virus to fellow passengers, I'm also surprised that they didn't shut down the hot tubs by the pool.

I didn't use the hot tubs on Pearl so I'm not sure, but typically they are bombed with chlorine, which would make them pretty low risk.

This just in for those who worry about such things...NCL now offering a free daily sanitizing service for your room that includes a free supply of disinfectant wipes and free upgraded "priority quarantine handling" service for all of your food*.

There will be a $69.99 per day convenience fee for these free services.

*free priority quarantine service subject to an 18% gratuity/service charge in specialty dining venues.

As mentioned, Norovirus can hit anywhere. There was a big outbreak last summer in Yellowstone just before we went, with many of the food workers in the park restaurants being afflicted. It wasn't the kind of place I'd expect Noro to be an issue, but it did.

Our last NCL trip was on the Jewel, and they had a Norovirus outbreak shortly before we boarded. One thing we noticed is that they were serving you at the buffet rather than letting passengers handle serving utensils, and that condiments at the tables (even in the MDR) were single-serve packets, rather than salt and pepper shakers or a bottle of ketchup. NCL has always done a pretty good job at cleaning up after these kinds of events, and I don't remember a ship that had problems on multiple weeks.

Not going to worry about it affecting my upcoming trip on the Pearl at all.

You are right, it can hit anywhere. I have a friend who lives in Shelby County, Iowa and they have just announced that they have received more than the normal amount of norovirus reports and have confirmed that it is in fact the norovirus. I've heard of it on ships, in hotels, in hospitals and in care centers, but this is the first time I've heard of an outbreak in a county.

As the Pearl is my favorite ship, I hope she is well soon.