Baked Alaska on Fascination

ILFAN11

it appears some of the ships have stopped doing baked alaska. i was on the carnival spirit to ''' alaska ''' this past may and they did not offer it . it is not the real baked alaska anymore anyway because of '' fire hazard '' reasons. the last time i had it , it was a toned down version--angle food cake topped with ice cream and whipped topping. good but not the same. they also did not offer cream brulee on this cruise. i was very dissapointed :( .

but besides that, the rest of the cruise was fantastic. fabulous food, great service and the ports/veiws were awesome.

We had it on the Paradise last week, on the last night...all the waiters brought out this huge block of Baked Alaska to show us before it was cut up. Really good - Neapolitan ice cream with layers of angel food cake, whip cream and the fluffy stuff:p Don't remember having it on the Holiday 5 years ago though.

Personally I never understod that fascination with Baked Alaska.

Its just ice cream with fire efect. I heard it become a fire safety issue (like any open fire should be).

Anyway there is plenty ice cream around in offer, fortunatelly;)

it sure was nothing special. Bad neopolitan ice cream (is it ever good), no cake, some sort of whipped topping. I sure didn't understand the big deal.

Actually, I was rather disappointed in general with the food on the Galaxy. It was my first cruise and I had always heard so much about the food. It was very average and sometimes not good.

Personally I never understod that fascination with Baked Alaska.

Its just ice cream with fire efect. I heard it become a fire safety issue (like any open fire should be).

Anyway there is plenty ice cream around in offer, fortunatelly;)

I have only seen it flamed twice. My first cruise on Carnival tropicale and on the Statendam to Alaska. They said they stopped flamming it in the dinningrooms because that was the fire hazard. In fact the Tropicale caught on fire just a few months after we were on it because of that.

But the cruiseships still served it. they just browned the merange on it in the kitchen/galley.

But I agree with you Steve I was so excited about having it that first time on the Tropicale until I tasted it. All it was -was ice cream with merange that has been browned around it. I never liked merange- after all that is egg whites with sugar-nothing else.

Now on the Statendam it was served with cherries jubilee on top of it-(that was flamed too before they poured it over the baked Alaska-quite a show)-which made it a little better-but I would much rather have mouse or tiramisu. In fact I have ordered that instead and the waiters were always like but "You must have Baked Alaska" and I would tell them I had had it before and did not care for it.

Archived