Dining room tip adjustment.

Just a couple of comments. First, it's still a "tip" as you have the option to remove it, reduce it, or raise it. It's like going to a restaurant with a large group and having the "gratuity" added to the bill. No difference.

Since it is a tip it is treated differently for tax purposes. Don't know about the cruise lines, but at least in the U.S. if the tip is included in the bill, and not broken out separately, then I believe that it is now considered "salary" and there are certain tax ramifications to that. May be the same with the cruise line. I agree that the price of the cruise would show higher, but prices are never the same. If you look at RCCL for one week, Carnival, NCL, Celebrity, and Princess for the exact same week and similar itinerary, there is complete differences in pricing. No one would notice $12 per day addition. They would likely notice "all gratuities included" though.

I'm not so sure it would make a hill of beans of difference what it is classified as, since the cruise lines are not subject to US taxes, unless they are incorporated and have their ships registered in the US (note that none of the mainstream cruise lines fit this criteria). My personal opinion is that they do it so that they can show a lower advertised price.

All I did was answer someones question.

But since you are so nosy, judgmental, and misguided; I don't leave smiley faces, those fake Jesus bucks, or poems. I leave CASH. Not that it is any of your business. Why are you attacking me for answering someones question. Usually I am the only one to give a factual answer which is the purpose of this website. If you don't like the answer, write to RCI and tell them you don't like their policy.

because you said an underhanded comment about the crew not getting paid via tips and there family being impoverished. wasnt nosy, you made the post and opened yourself up to a comment. judgmental sure, misguided not so much. i understand and appreciate hardwork so i think your the misguided one. even though i feel service is slipping in certain areas on the ship at the end of the day the crew still works damn hard, they should be compensated end of story... because what do you thinks going to happen to them if they make less money, service is going to drop even more and then you and thousands of others will be the first to complain.

i have no issues with the policy. people work they deserve to get paid. everyones always looking to save a buck usually at someone elses expense..

Edited by Aintnofun007

I haven't eaten in the Dining Room on any ship in over 20 cruises.

I let the MDR staff know on the first day of a cruise that I will not be at my assigned table, as I prefer the Windjammer at a time of my choosing.

I leave the gratuities in place, as they are shared, and the crew do so much more than just serve in one dining room.

I'm not so sure it would make a hill of beans of difference what it is classified as, since the cruise lines are not subject to US taxes, unless they are incorporated and have their ships registered in the US (note that none of the mainstream cruise lines fit this criteria). My personal opinion is that they do it so that they can show a lower advertised price.

We all have our opinions, but I'm willing to bet that if Royal Caribbean raised their prices by $12 per day then advertised in bold print "gratuities included," it would look like a better deal than the other cruise lines. I say this because if you pick any week you will find that the rates between cruise lines vary greatly. For example, I just looked at Sep. 5-6 out of Ft. Lauderdale. The 8 night Carnival Conquest is $439 for inside cabin. The Independence of the Sea is $607 for an inside cabin. Adding in the tips, raising the price to $691, with "gratuities (except drinks) included," would actually look like a better deal.

Of course, that's only my opinion. But all most the cruise lines charge the same tips. Seaborne, tips are included, and they advertise that. They are also extremely pricier. But many recognize the value of tips and drinks included and see a "good deal." But you could book a GS on RCL and add tips and drink packages, and still be at a lower price than the cheapest Seaborne cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We all have our opinions, but I'm willing to bet that if Royal Caribbean raised their prices by $12 per day then advertised in bold print "gratuities included," it would look like a better deal than the other cruise lines. I say this because if you pick any week you will find that the rates between cruise lines vary greatly. For example, I just looked at Sep. 5-6 out of Ft. Lauderdale. The 8 night Carnival Conquest is $439 for inside cabin. The Independence of the Sea is $607 for an inside cabin. Adding in the tips, raising the price to $691, with "gratuities (except drinks) included," would actually look like a better deal.

Of course, that's only my opinion. But all most the cruise lines charge the same tips. Seaborne, tips are included, and they advertise that. They are also extremely pricier. But many recognize the value of tips and drinks included and see a "good deal." But you could book a GS on RCL and add tips and drink packages, and still be at a lower price than the cheapest Seaborne cabin.

I agree with you 100%

We've booked a couple of cruises that offered paid gratuities as a perk, and we've always thought it was a great inducement.