Thanksgiving for family of 6 -

abbyar

I think I've decided, but looking for feedback from BTDT cruisers.

BG: I have 2 stepkids, and 2 littler ones. We'll all be at Disney World for Thanksgiving 2015, looking at cruises for all 6 of us in 2016. Our stepkids live out of state, so when all 4 get together it's a wild crazy fun time. The kids will be 15, 11, 9, and 7 at time of this sailing:

Pricing for week of Thanksgiving 2016

Norwegian Star SJ stateroom - with the current suite promos $5461

Royal Caribbean - $5200 for two verandah staterooms

Celebrity - $5200 for two verandah staterooms

Disney - prices not yet available, but I'm thinking $4K plus per stateroom

We'd like to keep the entire trip in the low $6K range, so these are all possible, but it *feels* like Norwegian would be the best deal, especially with the suite perks on the Star. I'm not overly concerned about the bathrooms of 1 vs 2, but more the experience on ship - I like that NCL will allow the kids to go to the specialty dining room with us (especially important with dsd). I've only cruised DCL. Dh has cruised DCL, Celebrity & Royal, but hasn't cruised Norwegian in 20+ years (didn't like the way staff fraternized with cruisers, but based on what I've read here that doesn't happen any longer). The kids liked Celebrity marginally better than Royal. They don't love the kids clubs on Celebrity, mostly bc of the other kids (they're on spring break right now, and apparently dsd was horrfied by other teen girls talking about their *enlargements* they had done before the cruise).

So, any tips? Am I crazy for taking 4 kids on a cruise ship?

No, you are not crazy! WDW is much more difficult with 4 kids than a cruise is. Especially WDW during a holiday.

We have been cruising with multiples since they were little-all teens now. If you can get connecting staterooms it would be awesome for you - but that negates the KSF promo.....

Do you have any particular concerns about the cruise itself?

We find that dining and entertainment are so easy when we cruise- we like the flexibility of NCL a bit more than RCL. No need for formal nights, either, although my kids don't complain- it is just easier to pack without all the extras like Blazers for the boys and dress shoes and oops! Forgot black socks, etc.

DCL is soooooo expensive for the same suite that you would get on NCL- just for hahas we compared a 2br suite on NCL to the 2 br suite that we used to get on Disney. Disney now wants 20 k for a holiday sailing. They do, however, have bigger standard staterooms, but I was shocked at how much the prices have gone up over the past six years.

RCl and NCL have comparable kids programs. The RCl version of freestyle dining has a few burps...even with reservations we have had to wait up to 30 minutes for a table. A work in progress, i guess

Are you sure that you want to share one bathroom? That would be my biggest concern.

Edited by raymondreddington

No concerns, per se - the kids will be big enough to be somewhat independent, and when they're together they're well behaved for the most part. Plus, since we don't get to spend a lot of time together as 6 of us, they're usually not argumentative (due to the mix, it's girl/boy, girl/boy so they're ready to hang out with their "pair" from the other half of the family). We're familiar enough with cruising that there shouldn't be a big surprise, and dh and I are taking the littles on the same cruise (Star out of Tampa) in Februrary 2015, so we'll be familiar with it. We've cruised enough to know our wants - good food (ok to have reservations at specialties to get what we want), a beach day (although bummed the sailings to GSC aren't affordable that week), and some simple activities on board, even if they aren't super intensive. I've noted that the 125- side of the ship with the SJs is smokier, but booking this far in advance gives me a selection, so not worried there. Was hoping a 2-bedroom would be doable so that we could have a balcony, but I don't think anyone will complain too much. We will probably have room service, but don't know yet if that would incur a fees, and not overly concerned as long as everyone is fed & happy. I'm most worried about the stepkids being comfortable in 1 room with everyone, but will get a better idea of that while we're at Disney (we'll have connecting rooms at a mod hotel). Hoping to just get to relax with everyone for a few days, in warm weather.

It's an SJ - family suite. It's the most affordable, and although a Penthouse would be doable in price, it doesn't allow 6. Unless something hugely unusual happens, we won't spring for the 2 or 3 bedrooms - we take 3-4 big vacations a year, so we try to keep them reasonable.

BG: I have 2 stepkids, and 2 littler ones. We'll all be at Disney World for Thanksgiving 2015, looking at cruises for all 6 of us in 2016. Our stepkids live out of state, so when all 4 get together it's a wild crazy fun time. The kids will be 15, 11, 9, and 7 at time of this sailing:

We'd like to keep the entire trip in the low $6K range, so these are all possible, but it *feels* like Norwegian would be the best deal, especially with the suite perks on the Star. I'm not overly concerned about the bathrooms of 1 vs 2, but more the experience on ship - I like that NCL will allow the kids to go to the specialty dining room with us (especially important with dsd). I've only cruised DCL. Dh has cruised DCL, Celebrity & Royal, but hasn't cruised Norwegian in 20+ years (didn't like the way staff fraternized with cruisers, but based on what I've read here that doesn't happen any longer). The kids liked Celebrity marginally better than Royal. They don't love the kids clubs on Celebrity, mostly bc of the other kids (they're on spring break right now, and apparently dsd was horrfied by other teen girls talking about their *enlargements* they had done before the cruise).

I would go with RCCL or Celebrity. Squeezing 6 in to an NCL room (even a suite) would be terrible. On top of that the way NCL is adding charges and fees weekly there is no telling what things will look like in 2016.

Having two rooms will give more space PLUS two bathrooms which will be very handy. Trying to get 6 people ready in one bathroom will be a nightmare.

6&8

We're booked on the Star for Thanksgiving next year too. We did a Christmas cruise this last year and going to disney world two times this year. So, we thought a cruise was due next year. I think you guys will have a great time. My kids will be 10 And 8. We had not been in NCL in about 13 years, so I know how you feel. They kids really enjoyed it (they liked it better than Royal but not better than a Disney cruise).

We are also in an SJ suite. We did a suite on the NCL Jade and loved it! Hope you guys decide to join us.

We just did the family suite for spring break - 4 adults and 2 kids. It was not tight for us at all. Which means it should be less tight for you if 4 of them are kids. You just need to figure out the sleeping arrangements, and a bathing schedule ahead of time so that there are no surprises and everything runs smoothly. The deals right now with the suite and all the perks are what had us book another for next year. My kids are 10 and 12 and love the kids club on NCL. I think you'll all have a ball!

No, not crazy for bringing them, but maybe just a little for having you all in one room.

Personally I'd go for the two balcony cabins over one single (though large) room without a balcony. An extra bathroom, plus privacy for the adults (sticking all the kids in the other room), seem like awfully nice "perks" that the NCL suite won't be able to match.

Teens often like to "sleep in," too.