Asthma- Any Info About Use of Fragrances?

Host Walt

A question has been raised that I cannot answer:

I have asthma and am triggered by primarily fragrances and various scented air/cleaning/personal care items.

I know its impossible to control it on people, but I need to know if there are any ships that do not use scented products in their rooms/hallways/public rooms, so travel can be attempted with fresh air being introduced via the balcony doors.

As there are over 1/3 of the population who have this sensitivity and travel has been hindered to say the least, but, if a room is accessible, then travel might be attempted.

If anyone has any information about the policies of any lines regarding use (or non-use) of scented air fresheners, unscented toiletries in the staterooms and/or public restrooms, etc, please post here.

Thanks.

I've been on just about every cruise line and there's not one that doesn't use scented products for cleaning especially in the cabin bathrooms. You could ask that just water be used to clean your bathroom, but no matter where else you go on the ship, there are always going to be fragrances in every room, but especially the public restrooms. Not only that, but as an asthmatic myself, the smoke in many of the public rooms are a problem for us, but since there aren't any smoke free ships, we just have to put up with it.

Some hotels (upon advance notice) will comply to the requests of those with multiple chemical sensitivities. This can include anything from not using any scented products on the laundry in their room, to the attendant not wearing scented products and using unscented cleaning products. I have not heard of this on cruise ships, but I would advise the poster to contact the special needs department.

As the previous posted stated, the most they would probably be willing to do is use special unscented products in the passenger's room only, not in the public areas.

Here is a good resource for people who have multiple chemical sensitivities

http://members.aol.com/homeview2/info/index.htm#travel

It doesn't have anything abotu cruise lines, but still may be handy as there really aren't that many MCS resources out there.

Candy

Given the predomanance of wood and brass in the decor of most ships and most lines having a penchant for spotlessness (someone is always cleaning something) it is virtually impossable to get away from the scents and worse the chemical vapors. I react badly to some waxes and solvents (instant wheezing and gurgling) whereas am otherwise 99% asthma free. I can't imagine ever getting the cruise lines to lighten up on the cleaning. With the incidents of Norwalk virus too they are all using disinfectants as well on most public surfaces.

Most of the time stepping outside for fresh air is enough to help a little - unless that's where the smokers are or the crew is scrubbing the deck.

Archived