CCL Breeze vs NCL Getaway <--blame the librian

harrovian

Hi peeps we really would appreciate any tips on the following dilemma;

As hard as we try we just cannot break the deadlock on booking Carnival Breeze or NCL Getaway. There is less than $100 in the difference but we are flying over from Ireland specifically for this cruise vacation so nead as much info to make the right choice! CCL been on the Glory & Ecstasy but never with NCL so the adventurous side is plumbing for NCL but the play it safe side is saying stick with CCL!

need opinions to help us sway the balance! TIA:D

Someone on the Carnival board was discussing how when you add up all the extra's on a NCL cruise you actually spend a lot more than your thought so if NCL is the $100 one thats more expensive its something to consider.

However, as fellow repeat Carnival lovers also from a similar part of the world I would go with NCL for new/adventure factor and the fact the ship offers more options and is newer.Not to mention if you are wondering about what the big Carnival ships are like you can always book a cheap 8 day med cruise on the Vista next year.

We are very close to booking a 1 day (haha) NCL escape cruise out of Southampton to see if we like the line.

Hope that helps!

Whatever excuse you have to use to book the one day...go for it !!!

I am a Carnival fan (of late), but I was not thrilled with the BReeze. We were docked next to the Getaway in Nassau, and we were impressed with their fun sailaway and staff interaction. At that moment, I wished I could have "jumped ship" and saled back on the Getaway.

The Breeze is nothing special - I think you would be happy on Getaway.

Also, watch your specialty dining, and you will only get nickeled and dimed if you let yourself :)

Have an awesome cruise!!!

:

OP - sorry, what does "blame the librian" mean?

:D Libra () is the seventh astrological sign in the Zodiac & the sign is the scales! people of this sign find it difficult to choose as the scales remain balanced! My travel buddy (my daughter) is a typical libran/ian(?!?) and can never make her mind up & now its rubbed off!

btw The NCL is $110 cheaper!

Hi peeps we really would appreciate any tips on the following dilemma;

As hard as we try we just cannot break the deadlock on booking Carnival Breeze or NCL Getaway. There is less than $100 in the difference but we are flying over from Ireland specifically for this cruise vacation so nead as much info to make the right choice! CCL been on the Glory & Ecstasy but never with NCL so the adventurous side is plumbing for NCL but the play it safe side is saying stick with CCL!

need opinions to help us sway the balance! TIA:D

If you like deck parties every night, anytime dining and more show options, do NCL. The only thing I like more about Carnival is that I think their adult only Serenity is better, the piano bar is better, they have chocolate melted cake and the 18+ club I think is better since the deck parties are all ages.

The NCL Getaway is one of NCL's newest ships and is absolutely wonderful. The main difference between NCL Getaway and Carnival Breeze to me is the type of specialty dining. Carnival seems to be focusing on more take-out and casual dining and home-style cooking whereas NCL has comparatively upscale specialty dining - even luxury dining in Le Bistro.

If your main concern about trying NCL is that it is a different cruise line, then let me put your fears to rest. Having sailed on many different lines (Princess, Celebrity, NCL, RCCL, Carnival, Princess, HAL and Uniworld), I can tell you that every line has its pros and cons but it is possible to have a great cruise on any line you sail on. I think the line I liked least was HAL - most of the passengers were 30+ years older than us and the food was very bland and the entertainment left a lot to be desired. Still, we were in Alaska and made the best of it - we just spent more time in our suite than typical cruises.

NCL, Carnival and RCCL are much more similar than different - especially with their newer ships. So, I would sail on any of these 3 lines newer ships interchangeably and know I was getting a great cruise. However, NCL does suites better than Carnival and RCCL. The suites on NCL are very unique and special and there is a higher level of service with the butler service, unlike on RCCL and Carnival, where they are identical from ship to ship and there is no butler. So I would gladly pay for an NCL suite, whereas, on RCCL there is no reason to get more than a Grand Suite because there is no difference in the level of service to the various types of suites. On Carnival, I would also get the cheapest Suite as there is no difference in service levels. I have also sailed in regular balconies on all of these ships and in spa balconies where available and they are all comparable, just different decor - Carnival's balconies are identical across the fleet as are most of RCCL's balconies. NCL changes up the decor from ship to ship. My preference would be for a spa balcony on Carnival or NCL (or any spa cabin, for that matter.) The spa on RCCL is disappointing compared to Carnival or NCL, so if you are hoping for a spa holiday, I would advise staying away from RCCL. The buffets on both Breeze and Getaway are fantastic. Breeze has soft service ice cream, whereas Getaway has a hand-scooped ice cream station with many choice - more like going to an ice cream parlor. If a buffet is important to you, just for future reference, I would not recommend RCCL.

To me, the tipping points between Breeze and Getaway would be

1. Which specialty restaurants appeal to you more? Those on the Breeze (more casual) or those on Getaway (more fine dining or upscale)?

2. Do you intend to get a suite (The Haven Spa Suite, Penthouse or above)? If so, the Getaway suites are the clear winner. The NCL Haven is a fantastic experience and I just can't recommend it highly enough.

3. The Getaway's water park - much larger scale than the Breeze, although what the Breeze has is very good.

4. Do you prefer to be seated with others at dinner or do you prefer to dine alone with your SO? Seated with others = Breeze, dine alone = Getaway.

5. Do you prefer the most elaborate spa at see (Getaway) or just want a very nice spa with thermal suite and thalisotherapy pool (Breeze.)

6. Are you excited about the fireworks show from the ship? (Getaway)

7. Live entertainment - more on the Getaway than on the Breeze. The Breeze has quite a lot of video type entertainment.

8. Sort of formal nights = Breeze, No formal nights unless you want to dress up = Getaway.

It occurs to me that you are flying all the way from Ireland for a 1 week cruise. If you have the time, it would be terrific if you were to go on both the Getaway AND the Breeze - taking 2 weeks for your cruises since you are coming from so far away.

At any rate, you have selected 2 outstanding ships. I think that the NCL Getaway is more like a Las Vegas resort and the Breeze is a newer version of the latest Carnival Cruise ships. Both are excellent, both have pros and cons. But don't be afraid to try NCL - NCL really is a great cruise experience!

Edited by SuiteTraveler

The NCL Getaway is one of NCL's newest ships and is absolutely wonderful. The main difference between NCL Getaway and Carnival Breeze to me is the type of specialty dining. Carnival seems to be focusing on more take-out and casual dining and home-style cooking whereas NCL has comparatively upscale specialty dining - even luxury dining in Le Bistro.........

Thank you all for your advice in particular SuiteTraveler who really pushed the boat out (no pun intended!) and kindly took such time to give a great overview! Thanks again :D

Scales have now dipped 55% NCL 45% CCL (as the guys burgers etch from my mind!!) have cabin on hold on the getaway until tomorrow so still a little time to change our mind but its loking like NCL!

You're a great bunch in this community thanks for your honest opinions & endorsements.

Thank you all for your advice in particular SuiteTraveler who really pushed the boat out (no pun intended!) and kindly took such time to give a great overview! Thanks again :D

Scales have now dipped 55% NCL 45% CCL (as the guys burgers etch from my mind!!) have cabin on hold on the getaway until tomorrow so still a little time to change our mind but its loking like NCL!

You're a great bunch in this community thanks for your honest opinions & endorsements.

You're welcome. I must admit, I love all the specialty dining restaurants on NCL. My favorite is Le Bistro followed by Ocean Blue, Moderno (Churrascaria), Cagney's and then the Asian restaurants - although the MDR is also quite good. The other thing to mention about the restaurants on Getaway is that you can eat inside or outside on The Waterfront - which is really neat! Of course I love the restaurant for suite guests - it is fantastic for breakfast, lunch AND dinner! NCL has really spoiled me in regards to the suite life. And I have to say their spas are amazing! You will laugh, but I had the hardest time getting my husband to go to the spa with me. It took until Wednesday of our cruise for me to talk him into it and then once he went and found out how great it is, I literally couldn't keep him out of the spa! He wanted to go multiple times per day and stay for hours and hours. LOL! I found the buffet absolutely amazing since it is so massive and spent quite a bit of time just observing how they run it. It was really interesting. The entertainment on NCL's newest ships is also really great - so much of it is Las Vegas type and quality entertainment - it's a definite step up from Carnival and more similar to the entertainment on RCCL's newest ships. I also enjoyed trying the Ice Bar. (bring enclosed shoes if you want to go in there as it is VERY cold in sandals!) I don't know if you watch Cake Boss, but there is a Carlo's Bakery onboard. There is also bowling and things like skee ball and a really good arcade with lots of games. If you want an adult place to hang out on deck, there is Vibe Beach Club (buy a pass) and Spice H2O for 18 and up - this is a really cool area with a waterfall you can sit under and they have various snacks in the afternoon.

Here is a great video of all the staterooms on the Getaway. Yes, that is an ocean view spa tub in The Haven Spa Suite. The shower (in the bathroom) is also very fancy with many different body jets and a great shower.

Here is a compilation of the various dance parties and contests on Getaway:

If you like to go to these types of parties, bring white clothes and glow makeup for the Glow Party.

Here is a tour of the inside and outside areas:

The Spa Thermal Suite:

You're welcome. I must admit, I love all the specialty dining restaurants on NCL. My favorite is Le Bistro followed by Ocean Blue, Moderno (Churrascaria), Cagney's and then the Asian restaurants - although the MDR is also quite good. The other thing to mention about the restaurants on Getaway is that you can eat inside or outside on The Waterfront - which is really neat! Of course I love the restaurant for suite guests - it is fantastic for breakfast, lunch AND dinner! NCL has really spoiled me in regards to the suite life. And I have to say their spas are amazing! You will laugh, but I had the hardest time getting my husband to go to the spa with me. It took until Wednesday of our cruise for me to talk him into it and then once he went and found out how great it is, I literally couldn't keep him out of the spa! He wanted to go multiple times per day and stay for hours and hours. LOL! I found the buffet absolutely amazing since it is so massive and spent quite a bit of time just observing how they run it. It was really interesting. The entertainment on NCL's newest ships is also really great - so much of it is Las Vegas type and quality entertainment - it's a definite step up from Carnival and more similar to the entertainment on RCCL's newest ships. I also enjoyed trying the Ice Bar. (bring enclosed shoes if you want to go in there as it is VERY cold in sandals!) I don't know if you watch Cake Boss, but there is a Carlo's Bakery onboard. There is also bowling and things like skee ball and a really good arcade with lots of games. If you want an adult place to hang out on deck, there is Vibe Beach Club (buy a pass) and Spice H2O for 18 and up - this is a really cool area with a waterfall you can sit under and they have various snacks in the afternoon.

Here is a great video of all the staterooms on the Getaway. Yes, that is an ocean view spa tub in The Haven Spa Suite. The shower (in the bathroom) is also very fancy with many different body jets and a great shower.

Here is a compilation of the various dance parties and contests on Getaway:

If you like to go to these types of parties, bring white clothes and glow makeup for the Glow Party.

Here is a tour of the inside and outside areas:

The Spa Thermal Suite:

I have cruised the Getaway before. To be honest it wasn't really my type of ship. However I am cruising it again because a travel group with lots of people I know are going on it. The port of calls are all ones I've been to before except one so I'm planning on staying mostly on the ship. That being said ZI have 2 questions:

1. How great is the spa? The group I travel with will mostly take over/ hang out in part of Spice H20. I didn't take the tour of the spa when I was on and I'm trying to decide if that weekly pass is worth it or just do it on port days.

2. How good is Ocean Blue? It was 39.99 when I was on but heard they lowered the price to 29.99 so I might actually try it this time. When I was on I tried Cagney's and Teppanyaki. This time I might go for Ocean Blue, and either Le Bistro or Churrascaria.

wichitastatecruiser:

1. The spa on Getaway has:

water circuit

heated tile loungers

dry sauna

steam room

salt room

padded loungers for relaxation

Most with an ocean view (except the salt room and steam room.)

If you enjoy the above, you will love the spa on the Getaway. I went to the spa every single day of our cruise. My husband, who thought he didn't like spas finally went on Wednesday and then he wanted to go to it all the time, both in the morning and the afternoon, and stay 3 - 4 hours. I created a spa addict! LOL! The advantage of the spa to me is that I avoid the sun as much as possible, so, sitting by the pool is not of interest to me, and I certainly don't want to be out in the sun in H2O - although sitting under the waterfall for a short time is nice, so the spa is a great way to enjoy views of the ocean while in the water circuit without being in the sun. What you don't get in the spa is beverage or food service. Also, it is a more quiet area for relaxing and not really suited to a large group. If you enjoy quiet relaxation and the spa amenities, it is great to have a spa pass for the whole week.

2. Ocean Blue is delicious and more like the land based restaurant. It is actually 3 restaurants in one: the casual Ocean Blue on the Waterfront (an outdoor lunch venue known for it's lobster roll (costs extra)), the Ocean Blue Raw Bar (a great place for hors d'ouerves and a cocktail before dinner) and then the fine dining Ocean Blue inside. You can see the menu for the fine dining Ocean Blue here (scroll down): http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/norwegian-menu/

The Dover Sole alone goes for $68 at his land based restaurant, btw. So you are getting an incredible deal to be able to dine at Ocean Blue on NCL for $39.99 or $29.99 and that includes an appetizer and dessert - much more than you would get for a similar price at the Ocean Blue flagship. The iced tea comes with iced tea ice cubes. There is great attention to detail including that the wines were selected by Zakarian and the cocktails are his recipes. The service is different - nothing is delivered on trays and each course is explained. To me the most successful courses are the ones that are the most uncommon. Definitely worth eating there.

Of Le Bistro and Moderno, I'd choose Le Bistro - I think the food in there is fantastic and it's one of the things I really look forward to experiencing on every NCL ship. I love the darkened and romantic atmosphere and the beautiful dining room. Le Bistro was NCL's first specialty restaurant. Contrary to the name, it is not a Bistro at all, but a fine dining restaurant. It is very beautiful on the Getaway. I love the mussels and the lamb and duck especially and of course, is there anyone who doesn't like chocolate fondue? Well, if they don't like chocolate fondue, there is always the chocolate Napoleon. LOL! Let's just say pretty much everything in Le Bistro has been tweaked to perfection over the years. I don't think there is anything you can order in there that you won't like.

As to Moderno, this is a churrascaria and NCL does it right with the tapioca flour cheese popovers and the different types of Brazilian BBQ'd meats, plus the extensive salad bar, BUT, I live near Fogo de Chao - which was the first churrascaria in the US (they opened in what used to be a Chinese chain restaurant that failed) and Fogo de Chao is waaaaaay better. In fact, it's phenomenal. So I'm pretty spoilt. Still NCL does a really good job as a cruise ship of presenting this type of dining experience and if you like to eat lots of meat, Cagney's and Moderno are THE places to go on any NCL ship. You might find it interesting to know that RCCL has opened their own churrascaria called Samba Grill in the Solarium Bistro of some of their ships, but, although the wait staff was wonderful and tried really hard, the food is alright but nowhere near as good as NCL's Moderno. In fact, I preferred the salad bar over the meat on RCCL. If you have never been to Fogo de Chao, then you would probably think Moderno is fantastic. I know the couple sitting near us did.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

I also found this detailed review of the Getaway with tons of photos. The writer was a dedicated Carnival cruiser until his Spa Suite on the Getaway and he explains why:

http://www.jimzim.net/NorwegianGetaway.html

It's a long review but there are plenty of great photos of the spa, entertainment, food and more.

Just reading a few more reviews before completing the 'on hold' booking with NCL & gotta say i am a bit worried :( My daughter is a student Nurse as am I albeit a mature one!! (year below my daughter!) so we are both on a budget & trying to gage if the hidden costs on NCL are as bad as some are describing. For example last year on CCL Glory we brought (legitimately!) 2 bottles of wine onboard , apparently with NCL theres a $15 corkage fee even if consumed (as we intended) in cabin.

Bottom line we want to enjoy the cruise & not be cheap skates, we had intended booking the illusionarium meal among with a few other treats but I am worried that to get the full benefit of the getaway, that your budget should be generous more so than ours!!!

Any advice greatly appreciated (5 hours left to complete booking :eek: )

Just reading a few more reviews before completing the 'on hold' booking with NCL & gotta say i am a bit worried :( My daughter is a student Nurse as am I albeit a mature one!! (year below my daughter!) so we are both on a budget & trying to gage if the hidden costs on NCL are as bad as some are describing. For example last year on CCL Glory we brought (legitimately!) 2 bottles of wine onboard , apparently with NCL theres a $15 corkage fee even if consumed (as we intended) in cabin.

Bottom line we want to enjoy the cruise & not be cheap skates, we had intended booking the illusionarium meal among with a few other treats but I am worried that to get the full benefit of the getaway, that your budget should be generous more so than ours!!!

It's a $10 corkage fee on Carnival and your only allowed 2 bottles . Unlimited bottles on NCL. I had my own cork opener, tipped the luggage porter $10 and my bottles made it to my room ;)

Here is the list of what is included and what is not in your fare:

http://www.ncl.com/faq/cruise-fare-includes

The only fee that might be new to you is a $4.95 convenience fee for room service on the Getaway but they also took away the fee for Shanghai's and the Noodle Bar and turned both of these into complimentary restaurants AND added hot food to the room service menu. However, NCL added this room service convenience fee on a trial basis and by the time you cruise, it will probably be different or gone. But remember, no one is forcing you to get room service.

The other thing to know is that NCL's wine list is relatively inexpensive with many nice bottles in the $27 to $29 range, so I don't think you really need to bring wine onboard. You can see the prices here: http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/WineList_Fleetwide_02262015.pdf

NCL also sells wine packages on the first day of the cruise that can further reduce your expenses if you drink 4 - 7 bottles of wine per week.

I think that you are worrying about nothing.

For a long time, NCL has been known as the nickle and dime cruise line and it absolutely is true. I could never really put my finger on it - I'm a creature of habit - always purchase pretty consistently on all my cruises. Yet, my on board spending bill is always higher on NCL.

:

:D Libra () is the seventh astrological sign in the Zodiac & the sign is the scales! people of this sign find it difficult to choose as the scales remain balanced! My travel buddy (my daughter) is a typical libran/ian(?!?) and can never make her mind up & now its rubbed off!

btw The NCL is $110 cheaper!

Thank you for the explanation. I thought it was a misspelling of librarian and from your post I couldn't figure out what the librarian had to do with your dilemma unless she/he couldn't find enough research for you.

For a long time, NCL has been known as the nickle and dime cruise line and it absolutely is true. I could never really put my finger on it - I'm a creature of habit - always purchase pretty consistently on all my cruises. Yet, my on board spending bill is always higher on NCL.

Our bill on NCL has always been significantly lower than on Princess or Celebrity or RCCL or Carnival. I wonder what the difference in our spending habits is?

Last RCCL cruise (Allure):

Onboard bill was $1500

Last NCL cruise (Epic)

Onboard bill was $450 (wine + passes to ice bar)