Please helped..bumped from Star now on Gem

Kmcspoon

My family of five just got our April 11th LA to Miami trip canceled on the NCL Star. It is having mechanical problems.

My husband has his vacation time already approved, and our bags are packed waiting in the front hallway.

My travel agent is holding some rooms on the NCL Gem departing New York on April 15, 2015.

If I can salvage this vacation, I will need some help! If I fly from DFW to New York the day before, April 14, 2015 WHERE CAN WE STAY and HOW do we get to the pier.

I have this other trip booked for over a year, and every detail planned. We are scrambling now.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. I will try to read threads, but thought I'd send an SOS while looking.

Hi Carol,

I'm so glad you answered. We sailed the Brilliance of the Seas Sept 2013 and arrived in Boston. You recommended a water taxi to the airport, which was one of our trip highlights. I always meant to follow up with a thank you, so I'll say it now.

Our kids are 15, 13, 7. I can book 2 rooms in an emergency. I am just so clueless which airport to fly into, and where to stay the day ahead, and how to get to the cruise port.

I have never been to New York, and the kids would love it. We would return on the Gem on April 24th and need to figure out how to get to the airport and fly to Miami....

This is sounding very impossible to me right now, but I'll try since we all have the time off.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Carol,

I'm so glad you answered. We sailed the Brilliance of the Seas Sept 2013 and arrived in Boston. You recommended a water taxi to the airport, which was one of our trip highlights. I always meant to follow up with a thank you, so I'll say it now.

Our kids are 15, 13, 7. I can book 2 rooms in an emergency. I am just so clueless which airport to fly into, and where to stay the day ahead, and how to get to the cruise port.

I have never been to New York, and the kids would love it. We would return on the Gem on April 24th and need to figure out how to get to the airport and fly to Miami....

This is sounding very impossible to me right now, but I'll try since we all have the time off.

Thank you in advance.

Everything's possible, with enough money... :D

I think we need to keep it simple. If you fly into LGA or JFK, simplest will be to just grab a cab to a Manhattan hotel. If flying into EWR, arrange for a car service as cab will be more expensive. To get to the port the next day, reserve with either Carmel or Dial 7 from hotel to port.

As for where to stay, for fun I punched in 5 people for a room in the Marriott website search, and found the Courtyard New York Manhattan Midtown East, where a room with 2 queen beds + sofa bed for 5 is $349 for your date. Don't think you'll find much better than that in Manhattan.

Will let Carol give you the options for an EWR arrival and stay, as she's the resident expert :).

A high level plan would be to fly into Newark. Look at Embassy Suites or Springhill Suites for 5 people.

All the airport hotels have free shuttles, but you have to drag your luggage up escalators or the elevator to the Airtrain and take the free Airtrain to the P 4 stop to get the shuttle.

Your party of 5 can go on the airport bus to Manhattan round trip as follows:

Adults - $28/pp rt

Kids 12-16 - $11 each way

Under 12 - free with parent

This bus leaves from the terminals outside luggage claim every 15 minutes.

The bus leaves you in the street outside Port Authority. You would probably have to take two cabs to the port for about $10-12 each cab.

Car service from Newark is also an option but it will be more expensive. Contact Dial7 and Carmelimo for quotes. You will need a larger vehicle for 5 people and luggage.

• 2 weeks later...

From the coachusa web site:

Port Authority Bus Terminal (PABT)

Buses depart from the Port Authority side of 41st Street between 8th and 9th Avenue and drop off on 42nd Street between 8th and 9th Avenue. Tickets may be purchased while you are waiting for the bus or when you get on the bus. (Drivers are not permitted to sell tickets. An operations supervisor will board the bus so you can conveniently buy tickets.)

Nearby Subway Lines: A, C, E, N Q, R, S, W, 1, 2, 3, 7, 9

Nearby Hotels