Epic - gluten free beer ?

lachelli

One of my sons is gluten-intolerant and has become a bit of an expert on the subject of gluten-free beer. I'm pretty sure two of the beers with low/no gluten are Heineken and Amstel Light. I just don't know if Epic carries either. NCL used to have Heineken on tap on all the ships but I don't know if that's still the case.

Thank you for your reply but unfortunately none of those beers you mention are gluten free and suitable for people with coeliac disease.

For the majority of coeliacs drinking them would ultimately result in spending quality vacation time in a restroom with stomach pains and cramps

Edited by lachelli

There was a fellow who contacted the company in advance and got them to stock a case of Red Bridge for them.

It was at least a year ago. I don't remember what hoops he had to jump through.

Red Bridge isn't normally stocked. It is the only non-gluten beer I know of.

I don't know if it is vegan-friendly either.

I thought that there was a hard cider that I read that NCL was now stocking but cant find any information on it now. I would call NCL or your CC and ask them directly about it. If you do that can you update your findings on this board - my wife is GF...but will bring a 12 pack of coke.

According to the list that was posted regarding the UBP, Strongbow Cider is the only gluten free option for "beer type" drinks....It is pretty tasty IMO.

I too remember reading a post about someone asking NCL to stock some G/F beer and they accommodated them.

I read on Carnival's page that you can request to bring some gluten free beer on board, so maybe you could check with NCL's special needs department?

I've had Ncl order a case of redbridge and have it on the ship for my cruises. Just call your PCC/ travel agent or Ncl directly and they will assist you. Then the day you board you will get a call from the food & beverage director asking which bars you would like to be stocked with Redbridge. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

And there is nothing like an ice cold gluten free beer on a sea day in the Caribbean. Enjoy!

Eta: please don't drink Heineken or Amstel light. They are NOT gluten free. But I'm sure you already knew that.

Edited by BritChickBN1

I've had Ncl order a case of redbridge and have it on the ship for my cruises. Just call your PCC/ travel agent or Ncl directly and they will assist you. Then the day you board you will get a call from the food & beverage director asking which bars you would like to be stocked with Redbridge. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

And there is nothing like an ice cold gluten free beer on a sea day in the Caribbean. Enjoy!

Eta: please don't drink Heineken or Amstel light. They are NOT gluten free. But I'm sure you already knew that.

Thank you, Can you recall what the cost was? We got the UBP as part of our booking promo but I am not sure they would be willing to give me Gluten Free Beer as part of that.

We will be sailing out of Barcelona the home of Estrella Daura, So NCL have easy access to GF Beer

Thanks

Thank you, Can you recall what the cost was? We got the UBP as part of our booking promo but I am not sure they would be willing to give me Gluten Free Beer as part of that.

We will be sailing out of Barcelona the home of Estrella Daura, So NCL have easy access to GF Beer

Thanks

I have been told I would have to buy the whole case before for about $150 US. But every time I get on board they have just sold the beers to me at the same price as the non-GF beer one at a time or in the buy 5 get 1 free bucket. I doubt they'll consider your gf beer as part of the UBP but you never know. All you can do is try. I hope it works out for you. [emoji4]

Let us know how it works out for the future Europe cruisers. Enjoy!

Thanks for that, but both of those are hard ciders and it was a beer I was after :)

Yeah, I'm aware. Since they are classified as beer, even though technically they aren't, and since they are the ONLY things on the ship classified as beer that meets what you are searching, I thought I'd help. It's those "not beers" or nothing. I'd argue that anything gluten free cannot technically be beer at all, but you don't want to go there or you wouldn't have asked the question. :D

• 2 months later...
I have been told I would have to buy the whole case before for about $150 US. But every time I get on board they have just sold the beers to me at the same price as the non-GF beer one at a time or in the buy 5 get 1 free bucket. I doubt they'll consider your gf beer as part of the UBP but you never know. All you can do is try. I hope it works out for you. [emoji4]

Let us know how it works out for the future Europe cruisers. Enjoy!

Maybe he could promise to drink them all. :D

Thank you for your reply but unfortunately none of those beers you mention are gluten free and suitable for people with coeliac disease.

For the majority of coeliacs drinking them would ultimately result in spending quality vacation time in a restroom with stomach pains and cramps

Most people who have celiac drink cider instead of beer. Or they drink vodka, rum, tequila or wine (although not dessert wine as it contains gluten.)

Gluten free beers tend to be pretty awful. There are only about 10 that are decent at all:

http://www.bonappetit.com/drinks/beer/slideshow/10-gluten-free-beers-that-actually-taste-good/?slide=12

What I would suggest is that you call NCL and ask them if they will be stocking any gluten free beer for your sailing. They are going to have a brewpub on the Escape with lots of micro brews, so it may be that are in the process or have made a deal with a company that actually makes gluten free beer and may be able to stock some onboard for your sailing. It cannot hurt to ask.