Penang Hop on hop off bus

judithann423

Has anyone had any experience with the Penang HOHO bus.

In theory it looks good, not sure of the cost, but the couple of reviews that I have read are not very impressive. It appears that in lieu of every 20 minutes you can be kept waiting for one hour plus and then not be able get on as it is full.

I believe that it is also used as a local bus service (cheaper fare) and this is leading to it's overcrowding.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Judy

Will you be in Penang during your cruise? That means you will have limited hours onshore. I don't think waiting for bus is a good idea. Furthermore they have a set route so you have to wait for the bus to reach your stop (more time wasted). My suggestion is to hire a local taxi to bring you around, this way you can decide on the itinerary that interest you and save your limited time.

I was in Penang last February on Royal Carribean cruise. The ship was docked from 8am to 6pm with all aboard at 5:30pm so basically we had only 9 hours to explore the city. We booked a van with driver from local tour company for 8 of us. The driver brought us to some of the famous eating places, Penang Peranakan Museum, Kek Lok Si and Butterfly farm (we choose the itinerary). We barely managed to cover the places and back to the boat at 5:15pm.

Will you be in Penang during your cruise? That means you will have limited hours onshore. I don't think waiting for bus is a good idea. Furthermore they have a set route so you have to wait for the bus to reach your stop (more time wasted). My suggestion is to hire a local taxi to bring you around, this way you can decide on the itinerary that interest you and save your limited time.

I was in Penang last February on Royal Carribean cruise. The ship was docked from 8am to 6pm with all aboard at 5:30pm so basically we had only 9 hours to explore the city. We booked a van with driver from local tour company for 8 of us. The driver brought us to some of the famous eating places, Penang Peranakan Museum, Kek Lok Si and Butterfly farm (we choose the itinerary). We barely managed to cover the places and back to the boat at 5:15pm.

Invigo could you give me the details of the person you booked, where they ok? Looking for someone to take 4 of us around for a few hours early May. Thanks

I booked a van from Ocean Jupiter (you can google them). Drop them an email with the info on the date, place and time (cruise ship normally dock at Swettenham Pier Cruise Terminal).

They charged on hourly basis for a minimum of 5 hours. You can decide on your itinerary (include it in your email).

If this is your first time in Penang, request for Michael Fong. He is an excellent tour guide and driver. If you specify that you wish to try out the good eat in Penang, he will bring you to the famous shops.

I hope you enjoy your time in Penang.