Best excursion for a l day stay

Len3

I always recommend a tour around the island. This gives you a great overview of what our island has to offer. Usually the tours include places like Gun Hill Signal Station, St. Johns Parish Church, Bathseba, Sunbury Great House, Farley Hill National Park, and much more.

I think the Spirit doesn't come into port until mid day so you don't have a lot of daylight hours. Do the island tour, then find a beach to relax before the sun sets.

Have a great time

Has anyone ever been on the "4 X 4 Vehicle Aventure" tour in Barbados? This would be something different for us. In the past, we did all the water-type tours as well as Harrison's Caves and the Mt. Gay Rum factory.

Some info on the Adventure tour would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cindy

I've done several 4 X 4 tours; some will disagree, but in general i think it's a lot of mucking about to give you the cross country experience. Barbados is easily traversed, with many roads and not particular suitable for 4x4. JMHO...

If you're going off season, like now, I do have a suggestion; we made a reservation at one of the high end resorts for lunch, and we asked and were allowed as part of that arrangement to use one of their unoccupied rooms for changing; we got to use their pool and beach before and after lunch;l it was like having a day at a $700 resort for the price of a very good lunch.

Anoother possibility:there's a very wavy and secluded beach on the side of the Island (East?) across from Bridgetown; it's easy to rent and drive cars in Barbados; people are friendly and will give you directions; we, however, got lost so many times we hired a guide for $25.00 who showed us the beach. It was money well spent.

Thanks for the info, Sandbag7. Going for lunch at a nice resort might work for us if we can also use their pool and beach. It's great that they let you use a vacant room for changing. Do you remember which hotel you went to?

Cindy

It's been a few years Cindy. We did this at La Semanna on St. Maarten; it may have been Sandy Lane, or a resort right next to it (something Pavilion?)on Barbados; you need to e-mail them in advance and ask; off season you have a shot, and it was great at both places.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the 4x4 tour in Barbados last summer. It was great and probably the the tour we enjoyed the most!!! We had a fun driver - we were 10 of us. You got to see the East side of the island - we stopped at the Baths. The rock formations were incredible. We also were given refreshments (rum punch or soda) and "crisps" (all kinds of weird flavored chips to chose from). Also got some fabulous slices of rum cakes. Then we went to a beach - the water was beautiful and clear, although here and there a couple of rocks in the water. After the beach, more rum punch...All in all it was a great trip, plus we were back to the ship around 1, so it gave you time to shop - which I did- or go back out, which some of our family did and went on the banana thing at the Boatyard. I would highly recommend this tour.:)

Elaine: Thanks for the reply. Glad you enjoyed this tour cause it is really what we thought we would book this time in Barbados (as long as it also includes a beach stop). I knew there were "baths" in Tortola but didn't know there were also rock formations like that in Barbados. :cool:

Cindy

Elaine: We are going on a Celebrity ship, and they do the same tours as RCI. I'm pretty sure this is what we will book. Guess I better make up my mind so we don't get left out.

cruisinsince75: Yes, now I remember that the "Baths" are in Virgin Gorda. :o I always consider that part of the Tortola stop.

Cindy

:confused: What to do with only one day. We'll be aboard the Spirit. Any thoughts?

Not sure if it would work out time-wise (not sure what time you arrive in port), but you must check out Silver Moon Catamaran at www.oceanadventures.bb We did this excursion last May and it was the highlight of our cruise and worth every penny. Snorkeling with the sea turtles is just amazing!

Cindy-

I don't know if you've made a decision already, but here's my thoughts. I definately recommend the 4x4 Advendure or the Silvermoon Catamaran. On my first cruise about 3 years ago, we went on a 4x4 Off Road Safari. We road in a Land Rover vehicle, road through the rainforest and through the city, visited historic places, churches, etc. Afterwards, we stopped at Paradise Beach to swim and enjoy the Caribbean sun. Although my parents didn't enjoy this as much, I loved it. This past year, we went on the Silvermoon Catamaran. They really treat you like royalty on this excursion. You're constantly checked on, asking if you need another drink and if you're enjoying yourself. You cruise along the coastline, stop at an area to swim with turtles (very cool!), eat a delicious homemade lunch, and stop at an area to snorkel over a sunken ship. Both excursions were awesome. I definately recommend them.

• 1 month later...

I just did the half day Small Cats turtle/ship wreck snorkel and booked through shoretrips. It was great (yes, the turtles showed up). They only book a few people (I think max 12) but they had only booked four that day and two didn't show up so we had the catamaran to ourselves. The captain was really nice and he brought his 6 yo son who had off from shcool and he was such a sweet kid. The Small Cats guy picked us up at the barbados tourism booth in the terminal and drove us to the boat. It was not having to taxi around. I highly recommend it.

Just returned from a cruise that included Barbados. If you are not interesed in a land tour, the Silver Moon catamaran cruise is outstanding. They picked us up at the dock at 10:30 a.m. and we were back at 4:30 p.m. We swam with the turtles and snorkeled at the shipwrecks. Our captain Ben, and mate Tone prepared banana bread and cookies for snacks and made up a hot lunch that consisted of freshly caught tuna steaks as well as other dishes. We felt like royalty since we were 2 of only 7 passengers (compared that to the 50+ that were on the cruise line trip). Silver Moon was the highlight of our entire vacation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

:p Will be in Barbados first time Feb.20th with Golden Princess. Looking at land tours and Accra Beach or Paynes beach after. Have not found tour that goes to Bathsheba. Will this require renting a car? how much would taxi be to Accra from port? what about the buses? thanks!

Archived