Valor late dining issue

evandbob

I had the upstairs forward Washington late dining last week on the Valor. It was my 7th time on this ship and the first time that the wait staff finished their entertainment before they brought out our main entrees. This happened 4 of the 7 nights I ate in the MDR. We were at an 8 top and most nights only 3 persons showed. We didn't wait for the no shows, we ordered as soon as we were seated.

Someone said the ATD downstairs threw off our meal scheduling, but I'm not sure. Another filled 8 top next to us had the same long wait between courses.

I'd rather have my meal served with at most a 10 minute wait between courses than the 30 - 45 minute delay we experienced. Our meal usually ended after 10:15PM.

I received a survey from Carnival and made sure I gave the MDR poor service grades on it. Anybody else have this problem?

Unfortunately, what you experienced seems to be the "norm" now aboard most Carnival ships. I think they've cut back on the number of waiters/bus boys so much that they simply can't keep up. Sad,,,,but true. :(

"SKY"

We just got off the Valor yesterday and we were in the Lincoln dining room with YTD - if we didn't wait in line by 5:30 p.m. (opened at 5:45) we could expect to wait about 1-2 hours for a table to open up. We were a family of 12 and were told that there were only two tables in the dining room that could accommodate us as a group. If people were already seated at one of those two tables, our group was split up. When this happened, we never finished at the same time despite seating at the same time and by the same server. One of our tables had finished the meal (including dessert) before the other table had their dinner plates taken away. This wasn't due to any special orders or requests, just normal dining. Diner lasted about 2 hours every night and this was without dessert, as we started skipping it after the first couple of nights to make room for guests who were waiting. Service was slow and poor. Bread not refilled, butter dishes empty (this was even upon sitting down at the table), drinks only refilled for half the table. Mistakes every night/day - waitress poured coffee creamer into my husbands dish that called for a dessert cream - she apologized but didn't bring a new dessert to make it right. The pizza line was usually a 30-45 minute wait and service was given with grumbles - we actually saw one of the cooks mouth an obscene word when pizza was ordered. My 18 yo son asked for water from the bartender near the pizza bar (the bar was empty as it was late at night). He was told to walk across the dining room for the self-service stand. He did and they were out of cups. He walked back to the bartender, who noticed him coming and went into his little cubby room to hide out, not returning to the bar for at least 5 minutes when my son gave up waiting and just went to his room for a cup of water. I am not a very picky person and usually easily forgive service glitches, but these were glaring and repetitive. It was as if the quality control officer were on vacation this week. I will not travel on the Valor again.

This is very sad to read. DH and I have been on the Valor twice, most recently in the fall of 2013. We felt at that time that the service was better than we had ever received on any ship. We found them to be personable and friendly and always ready to serve.

Early YTD on the Valor was very slow for us a couple of weeks ago. We did steakhouse on Sunday. Did MDR Monday and Tuesday and gave up after that. We ended up doing Lido deck food options Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday and hit up the steakhouse again Friday night. We surprisingly ended up really enjoying the Lido options (burritos, fish and chips, pizza, buffet) and did not feel bad about not going back to the MDR.

we do YTD and have wondered can all items be brought at same time - appetizers, main course etc to avoid the long wait ? has anyone tried this?

That would NOT be acceptable to me.