items for a fee in the main dining room?

Seems I heard a while ago that certain ships offer a better steak for a fee in the main dining room.

Is there any truth to this?

If so, is this offered on the Dream?

I know they have a steak house so wasn't sure

The better question is why would they serve a substandard piece of meet in the MDR?

IT is called "steakhouse selections" and is fleet wide. It is a $20 up charge and is for the entrée only. The steakhouse sides, salads, and appetizers are NOT available.

This option allows guest to enjoy a "steakhouse" quality steak on ships that do not have a steakhouse. For ships that do feature a steakhouse this is an options for guests like hubby and I. He can get his fillet and I can enjoy the MDR offerings.

The better question is why would they serve a substandard piece of meet in the MDR?

That's not a better question. The steak in the dining room isn't "sub" standard, but every ship on every cruiseline has restaurants that charge a fee for premium cut. There's nothing wrong with that. They offer some of the steakhouse items for $20 for those folks who may want a premium cut steak or a bigger lobster tail, etc. without paying and/or sitting through a full steakhouse meal.

No big deal. Any ship with a steakhouse will have this option OP. Pleases both DH and I since he would eat in the steakhouse every night whereas I might be willing to go once.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

Seems I heard a while ago that certain ships offer a better steak for a fee in the main dining room.

Is there any truth to this?

If so, is this offered on the Dream?

I know they have a steak house so wasn't sure

I just got off the Breeze on Sunday. It is true. There was a section on the bottom of the MDR menu that allowed you to pay $20 for an upgraded meal. I can't remember what the choices were, but I think one of them was the filet and lobster tail. The upgrade options stayed the same throughout the cruise.

There's the steakhouse selection items available for $20 in the MDR.

BC440DBC-0058-40F7-AB0F-0F85664F558E.jpg

I tried this once and ordered the surf and turf. Food tastes are subjective but I enjoyed it. I'll pass the next time as the spice rub available in the actual steakhouse isn't available in the MDR.

IMG_0700.jpg

Here's the flat iron steak and lobster served during elegant night. I'll stick with this in the MDR and will go to the actual steakhouse for those ships that have one.

IMG_0600.jpg

I tried this once and ordered the surf and turf. Food tastes are subjective but I enjoyed it. I'll pass the next time as the spice rub available in the actual steakhouse isn't available in the

MDR.

IMG_0700.jpg

Here's the flat iron steak and lobster served during elegant night. I'll stick with this in the MDR and will go to the actual steakhouse for those ships that have one.

IMG_0600.jpg

And the selections rotate nightly. On some nights lamb is on the menu.

Edited by SadieN

And the selections rotate nightly. On some nights lamb is on the menu.

Agreed. As an example, during elegant night the surf and turf is not available on the steakhouse menu in the MDR. Lamb is one option:

730B73C4-73A8-46C8-90CF-B1CC9B32B7AF.jpg

On my 2-day cruise in January, there was no elegant night, so I splurged and got the surf and turf. It was great. On the 4-day, there's usually one night where the MDR menu isn't that interesting, but this is a good option if I want to eat in there every night

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

So is there a steak available every night (free) or do you have to pay. Sometimes if I don't like what's on the menu I just order the steak.

Free steak (flat iron steak) available in the MDR every single night. I've had it a couple of times. It's not a great steak but a good steak.

I tried this once and ordered the surf and turf. Food tastes are subjective but I enjoyed it. I'll pass the next time as the spice rub available in the actual steakhouse isn't available in the MDR.

IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

That is an interesting visual comparison. Thank you.

Yes it is. The "not for a fee" food looks better than the $20.00 plate. :p

Yeah! It's funny. I doubt that was Carnival's intent but looks like that's what's coming out to the MDR tables!

For $20 up charge in MDR when the steakhouse full experience (with sides, etc...) is only $30-35 - I can't see us using the MDR up charge option unless the inclusive food in MDR for dining has declined. We haven't' been on a Carnival ship for 5 years, so we will see how it goes next month.

Edited by eponym

I tried the surf and turf in the MDR on the Breeze for the up charge. There were 6 of us in our group and not all wanted the steakhouse. I am going to do it again for sure. I always check the menu on the tv so I told the waiter as soon as I arrived I was ordering from the steakhouse. Great meal and saved 15 bucks

According to my inside source at CCL who is high-level executive overseeing food and beverage, they will be adding upcharge desserts in the new menu rollout.

Yeah, another food category. I wonder if the up charge desserts will be any of the favorite dessert items that may have been pulled from the MDR menus in the recent past.

As ONE example, I have read lots of people liked bitterNblanc but some cruisers have been saying it hasn't been made available lately. Maybe it's only on some ships. IDK. Will be interesting to see what evolves or regresses.

Edited by eponym

I tried the surf and turf in the MDR on the Breeze for the up charge. There were 6 of us in our group and not all wanted the steakhouse. I am going to do it again for sure. I always check the menu on the tv so I told the waiter as soon as I arrived I was ordering from the steakhouse. Great meal and saved 15 bucks

I think the MDR provides surf and turf for at least one elegant meal in for cruises over 4-5 nights - something like that.

So unless you miss that surf and turf inclusive option in MDR , or want surf and turf more frequently, it seems like an exercise in futility after seeing the pictures posted between the plates.