Higher Prices with all the promos??

triptolemus

I booked our January 2016 Getaway cruise in February during the KSF promo at an amazing deal:

Quad BX (by the way, we have already been assigned a cabin), $125 OBC ($75 from NCL and $50 from TA), and UBP (2 adults UBP and 2 children's soda packages) for a total (inc. fees and taxes) of $2052 for all 4 of us. Today, the price has gone up $400, which is still a good deal. Low price, our first balcony, UBP, AND the new Getaway!

Not a bad deal at all... 4 people for an average of $513/pp:) (I'm guessing this still doesn't include your service fee/gratuity for each person per day - if it does you got a deal)

Either way congrats... we have a obstructed view for December on the Star and are paying $1880 for two people (this includes all taxes/fees/gratuities/insurance):eek:

Curious, what is the age limit for KSF ?? Got a 9YR going onto 10 for next cruise. Now with a KSF+UBP promo, do you still get an OBC as well ?? I don't know why, but I have always had it, and would feel like I am gambling on giving up the hard cash (credit on account) vs taking something I may or may not make good use of, enough to cover the value of the previous OBC's offered.

Actually KSF (Kids Sail Free) is a misnomer...it is any guests 3-8, age doesn't matter.

Not a bad deal at all... 4 people for an average of $513/pp:) (I'm guessing this still doesn't include your service fee/gratuity for each person per day - if it does you got a deal)

Either way congrats... we have a obstructed view for December on the Star and are paying $1880 for two people (this includes all taxes/fees/gratuities/insurance):eek:

No, it does not include gratuities. I have never seen a quad balcony price anywhere near that low, even on the older Carnival ships. We are super excited!

With regards to pricing, these promotions have not increased every fare as some would have you believe... Off season fares are still in the same ball park as they have been over the past few years, even in suites. For about the same price as we were able to book our 2015 cruise in 2013, we re-booked with all the promotional items available in February. Prices have actually dropped a little bit as they have since added more promotions, but not enough to make me jump through hoops to change the reservation again.

Being in a suite, the addition of these promotions works for us quite well. While most of the time we are happy to utilize the MDRs, we obviously enjoy the specialty restaurants when we can take advantage of them. We just didn't go every night because of the cost. With the included UDP, now we can go every night to a specialty restaurant and not have to worry :) The same concept would apply to adult beverages... Like most people, we would be consciously aware of the effect of the bar tab could have on our final bill... in some ways we were probably denying ourselves beverages because we were trying to keep the bill down. Now, this is also not a concern... it will be very liberating! It doesn't mean we plan to over do anything, it just gives us the freedom to enjoy without the worry of the cost. Just because you have the UBP doesn't mean you have to consume your maximum amount! Enjoy the pure freedom of not having to pay attention to your beverage costs! I AM curious how much we will rack up as compared to what the cost would have been if we purchased it, so I will keep tabs :)

Personally, I think these types of promotions are great to attract people to try cruising and really, I hope they continue so we can take advantage of them in the future. These promos must be working for NCL too, because they are not going away :)

AH I see, so when NCL talks about KSF they actually mean the 3rd+ guests are free. Not a bad deal when you think about it. I think we paid $450 for my 9YR old, and my neighbours X2 for their 2 daughters. I think NCL covering that cost is worth more (IMO), than any other PROMO, assuming the cruise price is not jacked to offset that offer.

Now again curious, when they say KSF, is it all guests after 2, meaning if you have 2 kids, both sail free ??

AH I see, so when NCL talks about KSF they actually mean the 3rd+ guests are free. Not a bad deal when you think about it. I think we paid $450 for my 9YR old, and my neighbours X2 for their 2 daughters. I think NCL covering that cost is worth more (IMO), than any other PROMO, assuming the cruise price is not jacked to offset that offer.

Now again curious, when they say KSF, is it all guests after 2, meaning if you have 2 kids, both sail free ??

Yes, that is the general concept... This is a promotion that has been around for years. It really can save you a chunk of change if you get it at the right time. Saved us $500 when my brother-in-law came with us last December.

yes. in post 27 the poster stated tha guest 3-8 in your cabin are free.:)

Bill

But I just booked a 7 day Mex Riv on the Jewel for the SAME exact price I paid last year for a 7 Day on the Star, with only SUITEOBC as the promo... this go around, it's CHOSDBG, of course.

Anyway, stoked... :)

We are the same. We booked basically the same itinerary for 2016 that we sailed in 2015 (only slightly better!!), at basically the same price... but now we have included the UBP, the UDP, and gratuities paid.

For us - a great deal and we are also stoked!

I'm curious about how much people would think that fares would drop if there were no promos. I have a aft balcony booked on March 6th on the Getaway $2800 and the person I'm sailing with and I took the UBP (the most "expensive" of the promos. You really think that price would go to less that $2000 if they got rid of the promo?

When I sailed the Getaway last October I had the M6 which was $2600 for comparison with no promos. I got lucky though and they did a no single supplement wave sale and got it for $1800.

I'm curious about how much people would think that fares would drop if there were no promos. I have a aft balcony booked on March 6th on the Getaway $2800 and the person I'm sailing with and I took the UBP (the most "expensive" of the promos. You really think that price would go to less that $2000 if they got rid of the promo?

When I sailed the Getaway last October I had the M6 which was $2600 for comparison with no promos. I got lucky though and they did a no single supplement wave sale and got it for $1800.

Bermuda with 'choice' promo on Brwakaway for a studio room is $799 for next year. Without it, I can see it being $50-100 low or higher now due to room service fees removed, before it was $300-700 higher ...

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

We booked the BA to Bermuda in June a while back at the beginning of February when the promos first started. We were able to get UBP and KSF, but the price has increases dramatically since then. You may have missed your window on this one.....for families, I think the key is to grab it while it is KSF instead of when it moves to KS50% as that shows additional bookings and likelihood of price drops all but disappear.

Oh too bad I never even saw a ksf for our week. June 21

I think I saw for earlier weeks but not mine. Maybe i missed it. Oh we'll no biggie right now

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think I saw for earlier weeks but not mine. Maybe i missed it. Oh we'll no biggie right now

I think they don't offer KSF during weeks that school is out of session (or nearly out of session). I only see the 50% off during holidays and breaks.

Here's something I posted on another thread - it includes the link for

"kids" sail free cruises. I'm loving the combination of promos/kids sail free. Currently have four cruises booked :)

"

The last week in June is expensive .... pricing is definitely odd for that particular cruise. Would actually be cheaper to get two connecting insides. However, that cruise is also "green" color coded which is half off for passengers 3-whoever, not free.

Find a purple coded cruise - example Breakaway date 9/6/15

family inside category II or 11 (:) for two it is $2,068.02, for four passengers it is $2,418.04. Cruise fare $849.00 for passengers 1 and 2 and $185.01 taxes/fees for all 4 passengers. LOL noticed it doesn't add up - taxes are actually $175.01 for passengers 3 and 4.

There are some really good deals out there, it just takes a little work to find them. Here's a list to get you started

https://www.ncl.com/vacations/freest...als=4294902687

I think whether the price went up before the promos started has a great deal to do with the specific itinerary. In early December - before any promos were announced -- we booked a 2 bedroom Haven on the Epic for Western Med in April 2016. The price listed at that time was 3450 pp. which was very close to the price a 2 bedroom was (at that time) going for this year in roughly the same time frame (shoulder season). The price did not go up at all after either group of promos were announced. In January, I called and got the OBC, UBP and UDP added. In March, I called again and got the gratuities added. My sister then decided to join us and we added her for 199. The suites, particularly the 2 bedrooms, are nearly all sold out this year between April - June sailings, and they did not drop the price at all, even after final payment dates.

Terry

I think they don't offer KSF during weeks that school is out of session (or nearly out of session). I only see the 50% off during holidays and breaks.

Listen to this

I priced a triple inside for June 21 and pax 1 and 2 were lower than pax 3!!!! That's with ksf!!

The chat thing came up and they told me pax 3 was 1/2 off the rack rate!!!!

Nobody pays the rack rate of course

If I were seriously interested I would have called Ncl but I'm not paying $3500 plus dsc for 3 to go to Bermuda in an inside

And that was the price that came up with ksf

$4350 approximate for 4 same cabin

$2300 approx for 2 pax each in 2 insides or $4600 total

I rounded off of course and prices are all over the place so ymmv and prices may have adjusted since last I did a shadow booking.

Edited by luvtheships

Sheesh, that's crazy!

I just take my kids out of school so I can get KSF. Plus I need to escape NY winters for a bit! We just can't afford it any other way... Well, we couldn't afford a balcony or higher, I mean! ;)

Your kids love you!!! Best excuse to be out of school for a week at least. :D

Tell me something, about the KSF thing, if they offer person 3-8 for free, I assume they mean in the same room, which of course means you need to be spending the big bucks to have a multi-bedroom suite to fit all these people traveling for free.

If you take your typical room (we usually take Mini-Suite, similar to Balcony just a tad bigger), you can't fit more than 4 people in there, so really only person 3 & 4 can sail free, where does person 5-8 fit, balcony ?

Being sarcastic of course, but assuming more people means bigger room needed to take advantage, and can't ask for 2 rooms.

Neil

Sheesh, that's crazy!

I just take my kids out of school so I can get KSF. Plus I need to escape NY winters for a bit! We just can't afford it any other way... Well, we couldn't afford a balcony or higher, I mean! ;)

I cruise with my 2 college kids in January these days under ksf and get awesome deals

Dh stays home with the 14 yo.

Dh is off cruising at the moment but whatever

Eldest kid is too busy right now to cruise

So it's me and the college kids under ksf in an inside in January at dirt cheap rates for longer cruises out if NYC. We are lovin it too!!!! Lol

Next up an extended land trip back to Italy. Whoever can make it great but I'm going back definitely!! Lol

Tell me something, about the KSF thing, if they offer person 3-8 for free, I assume they mean in the same room, which of course means you need to be spending the big bucks to have a multi-bedroom suite to fit all these people traveling for free.

If you take your typical room (we usually take Mini-Suite, similar to Balcony just a tad bigger), you can't fit more than 4 people in there, so really only person 3 & 4 can sail free, where does person 5-8 fit, balcony ?

Being sarcastic of course, but assuming more people means bigger room needed to take advantage, and can't ask for 2 rooms.

Neil

System is acting up so I just lost my reply so here is short version

There are only a few ships that have staterooms big enough to hold more than four passengers. In my opinion best "bang for your buck" is one of the SJ Family Suites on the Star or the Dawn. Family Suite does not have balcony but does have wall of windows. Some of the windows have some fogging. Here is one price example

NCL Star 10 day round trip from Tampa with 6 caribbean port stops date

10-13-16 SJ Family Suite Ultimate Dining for all, Ultimate Beverage Package Alcohol for 1st two, Soda for rest Shore Excursion Credit $75 per port, free Gratuities for 1st two

Price $4829.38 for 6 passengers for 10 days

$1949 cruise fare x 2 $155.23 port fees/taxes x 6

Two sleep in sofa bed, two on murphy bed, two on main bed. On the Star main bed splits into twins, does not split on Dawn. One large bathroom with two sinks, public toilet close by :)

Tell me something, about the KSF thing, if they offer person 3-8 for free, I assume they mean in the same room, which of course means you need to be spending the big bucks to have a multi-bedroom suite to fit all these people traveling for free ...

Being sarcastic of course, but assuming more people means bigger room needed to take advantage, and can't ask for 2 rooms ...

Sarcasim noted - select sailings only, other sailings are based on 50% off.

That, is, 50% off the rack rate or brochure rate - it's a math challenge.

-

Reminds me of a certain retailer, since out of business, something along the line of "the educated consumer is our best customers ..." NOT !

Similar to shopping for bargains buying a new car, they will "set" you up for the ride of your live.

Besides, you get to enjoy the true luxury of Haven 2 BR - what is there to not like, right ?? Put that on your NCL credit card, upon instant approval, and receive an extra OBC ... immediately :D :rolleyes: :p

Ka Ching, Ka Ching, Ka Ching

Edited by mking8288

mking:

Either you handed over said credit card and have stayed in a Haven recently, making fun of the dime you spent on such a room and your experience of coming back home to said credit card statement,

Or your sarcasm is better than mine :-)

Yeah, I think someone addressed it.....later in June only KS50%, I grabbed the earlier June on the cheap.....really cheap when I add in my CAS comp.....$6,000 cruise for $1,200, paid my gambling budget......good return even if I don't win.

Sheesh, that's crazy!

We've been doing that in the past, but now our twins are starting high school.....looks like our cruise schedule is going to be impacted. :)