UBP Gratuities

happygo

I was just reading a recent cruise review and the writer indicated that they did have a gratuity added even though they had the "free" UBP. Can anyone else confirm this to be true? http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=501105

I had the UBP on NCL Epic in March. Barstaff still gives you a paper for you to sign. The paper shows the drink price and the 18% auto-gratuity. You can add an extra tip. That tip will show on your account. The auto-gratuity does not.

Usually when I got just a soda, there was no paper transaction.

I was just reading a recent cruise review and the writer indicated that they did have a gratuity added even though they had the "free" UBP. Can anyone else confirm this to be true? http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=501105

Yes when you have the UDP the chit you are asked to sign will show the 18% gratuity. This chit is really for internal purposes unless you decide to tip extra and add it to the slip. Afterwards the chit is zeroed out from your account including the 18% auto-gratuity. There will be nothing you will owe.

Rochelle

I have cruised 2 times with UBP and have never had a gratuity added. I have one time had a tax added for a drink I purchased while still docked in Miami, so maybe that is what they saw? Either that one single poster out of thousands was confused or it was an error. More likely they were mistaken, because there is no way this automated system would suddenly reprogram itself to work differently for that one individual person that one time.

I have cruised 2 times with UBP and have never had a gratuity added. I have one time had a tax added for a drink I purchased while still docked in Miami, so maybe that is what they saw? Either that one single poster out of thousands was confused or it was an error. More likely they were mistaken, because there is no way this automated system would suddenly reprogram itself to work differently for that one individual person that one time.

Her is a receipt clearly showing the auto gratuity of $6.23 (15% at the time) added to the bill. At the top the receipt is marked UB for UBP. So yes it is indeed added to the bill but it does not show up on the your final account unless you use the line and add in an additional tip. That additional tip would show up on the final bill.

11160616_10153271431357959_7533570707640508035_o.jpg

Rochelle

Her is a receipt clearly showing the auto gratuity of $6.23 (15% at the time) added to the bill. At the top the receipt is marked UB for UBP. So yes it is indeed added to the bill but it does not show up on the your final account unless you use the line and add in an additional tip. That additional tip would show up on the final bill.

11160616_10153271431357959_7533570707640508035_o.jpg

Rochelle

Well, yeah. I am saying the person didn't have to pay it, just like you are saying that. I have also posted lots and lots of receipts here showing it added to the bill, which it is each and every time. The person does not have to pay it on their account. It is wiped off. Sorry my post confused you.

Here are more pictures of receipts in this post, since graphics are exciting!

Edited by LrgPizza

Since at least one individual was completely confused by my above post, let me clarify. Sure it is always added to the ticket. When I said gratuity is not added above, I am referring to their shipboard account. It is erased from the final bill, which is what I am describing above. I hope that clarifies for those confused by this process.

In a nutshell, since this is about as simple as it can get:

If you have UBP, you will not be charged the 18% gratuity on your onboard account, either because you already paid it when buying the package, or because it is included if you received the package as a promo. That's it.

Edited by LrgPizza

That statement isn't really as clear as you might think....or as others might take it. It is added to the bill....it just isn't added to your onboard charges as it's later removed. People need to know that even though they do see it on their check they won't actually be charged the gratuity fee.

Just clarifying......

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

Since at least one individual was completely confused by my above post, let me clarify. Sure it is always added to the ticket. When I said gratuity is not added above, I am referring to their shipboard account. It is erased from the final bill, which is what I am describing above. I hope that clarifies for those confused by this process.

In a nutshell, since this is about as simple as it can get:

If you have UBP, you will not be charged the 18% gratuity on your onboard account, either because you already paid it when buying the package, or because it is included if you received the package as a promo. That's it.

your quoting yourself? You Have to much time on your hands. LOL

That statement isn't really as clear as you might think....or as others might take it. It is added to the bill....it just isn't added to your onboard charges as it's later removed. People need to know that even though they do see it on their check they won't actually be charged the gratuity fee.

Just clarifying......

Harriet

Agreed, Harriet. And that is exactly why I already clarified it stating basically what you just stated above. Thank you!

your quoting yourself? You Have to much time on your hands. LOL

Haha! I didn't think my post was clear, so I wanted to clarify.

And this time, I am just quoting you because I have too much time on my hands. (Or rather, I don't feel like working. :p )

if you order a cocktail that is under the $11 but includes a spirit that is classed as a premium one do you pay individually for that spirit or are cocktails including premiuim brands not included in the ultimate bev pckage, does it only include cocktails using call spirits

if you order a cocktail that is under the $11 but includes a spirit that is classed as a premium one do you pay individually for that spirit or are cocktails including premiuim brands not included in the ultimate bev pckage, does it only include cocktails using call spirits

It does not matter which spirits are used to make the cocktail, if the drink is $11 or under it is included in the package.

If you choose something that is over $11 you will now pay the difference.

Now if you take a regular cocktail and upgrade the ingredients to premium and ultra liquors you too will have to pay the difference.

Hope that helps.

Rochelle