Panama Canal 86% Complete. Does Carnival send bigger ships to Long Beach in 2016?

Kobayashi

I'm optimistic as I live in CA. The Panama Canal is on schedule to be completed by 2016. Could or would Carnival send a bigger ship to Long Beach? Carnival may not but it won't be because they have to sail a ship around South America.

http://micanaldepanama.com/expansion/

62A0F694-7ADE-4A8C-B966-F801216B0359.jpg

Good luck with 2016... I was just there 3 weeks ago, and they have hardly started the new bridge and road that needs to be complete before they can finish the new canal... Our tour guide said the optimistic people are shooting for 2017 to be complete.... others think 2018 or 19....

I think there will be a bigger choice on the west coast for all cruise lines...even if it just for a few months that a bigger ship is docked there.

It also shows that bigger isn't necessarily better as Oasis and Allure are the only ships that will not be able to fit through the new canal.

Since Carnival is exploring longer journeys its also likely there will be a few more Panama Canal longer cruises to add to the choices.

Even with the new canal, I don't think Carnival will send a larger ship to the west coast until there's a market to support it. Both Carnival Splendor and Mariner of the Seas were a bust. Not saying that it will never happen. Just when it makes economic sense

Even with the new canal, I don't think Carnival will send a larger ship to the west coast until there's a market to support it. Both Carnival Splendor and Mariner of the Seas were a bust. Not saying that it will never happen. Just when it makes economic sense

Maybe when LA gets an NFL team is when Carnival sends over the bigger ships. Right now it appears there isn't a market for either [emoji22].

I am planning/budgeting for 2018.

I was just there and it was thrilling to go through the locks in a ferry, I am sure it will be even more amazing to go through the new locks in a cruise ship.

It is very expensive to take a cruise ship through, I don't expect it to be a regular thing.

The economy was also a bust at that time.

Good luck with 2016... I was just there 3 weeks ago, and they have hardly started the new bridge and road that needs to be complete before they can finish the new canal... Our tour guide said the optimistic people are shooting for 2017 to be complete.... others think 2018 or 19....

AGREE!! There on Triumph, took tour to canal,also talked to workers, nothing happens fast there.

I do hope that once it is finished CCL will do some full transit voyages here and there. I would love to cruise thru the Canal but they hardly ever offer sailings that go.

We were aboard the Miracle repo, and the transit through the Canal (as well as the other 'exotic' ports) were amazing. This would be a journey that I would eagerly book again.

So some shopping for cruises leaving from LA. Carnival has to really discount the prices to fill the ships. Until the demand increases, it makes no sense to send a larger ship which they will have difficulty filling.

Same story as every port that has lost a Carnival ship. If Carnival was filling the ships at prime prices, they would never leave that port. But like New Orleans, discounting cruises to $250 for a 7 day cruise means that ship is going somewhere else.

We were the first U.S. home port for the Splendor.

She had to go the old fashioned way, around South America.

We were on the Splendor when she went back to New York all the way around South America. 48 days of cruising and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Best cruise I have ever been on.:D

So some shopping for cruises leaving from LA. Carnival has to really discount the prices to fill the ships. Until the demand increases, it makes no sense to send a larger ship which they will have difficulty filling.

Same story as every port that has lost a Carnival ship. If Carnival was filling the ships at prime prices, they would never leave that port. But like New Orleans, discounting cruises to $250 for a 7 day cruise means that ship is going somewhere else.

What are you talking about New Orleans? The Dream isn't going anywhere is it? I thought they were adding capacity in New Orleans.

Doesn't seem like they are discounting the prices on the 7 day Mexican riviera cruises. They cost more than a cruise to the Caribbean. $500-800pp isn't a discounted price if you ask me.

Carnival is quite satisfied with New Orleans and is increasing capacity next year, replacing Elation with Triumph. And Dream isn't going anywhere.

I hope so, that would be a dream come true. Would love to see the day a conquest class ship is docked in Long Beach

Had one (kind of). Splendor is an expanded Conquest Class ship. So much so that when we first boarded the Conquest DH wanted to know the last time we sailed on her.

In January of this year we had a Main interior on an 8 day cruise out of FLL for $249 pp cabin rate. The day we returned we did a 6 day out of FLL on the Conquest, a deck 10 interior, for $189 pp cabin rate. So sometimes Florida ports discount deeply, too.